Quantcast
Minimal things I can do to soundproof a garage door? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Minimal things I can do to soundproof a garage door?
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Minimal things I can do to soundproof a garage door?

Now, before everyone gets up in arms here, I just want to see if this is at all possible. We have a 2-car, tilt-up, 1-piece wooden garage door. The big problem is that it does NOT close anywhere near to air-tight currently. There are gaps on the top, sides, and bottom. It is an old door so it has warped considerably, which does not help at all. Am I doomed to build a wall instead of trying to make the actual door soundproof? It would be a big pain to cover the garage door in terms of moving equipment and just dismantling the existing garage mechanisms. I'm wondering if there's something that we can put up that will retain the garage door's mobility... some sort of walls we can move? And won't interfere with the hardware SOMEhow?

For some idea of how soundproof is soundproof enough, we've had full-band practices in my bedroom (which is right next to the garage), which has a 1-paned glass window, multiple times, with no complaints at all.. Which makes me think that the garage will be fine bar the door. If anyone has any ideas for soundproofing the thing, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Think about how a wall is built. It's basically just wood, miner wool batts, & drywall. but if your able to build a huge panel almost the size of the back wall where the door is around 4" thick of 703. I would try to make it flat and have the corners come in for more effectiveness as well. I would think that would get rid of most the sound. I mean it doesn't have to be soundproof, think of you have a room with windows your still going to hear some things from outside if it's quite in your studio. But the more panels the more noise it will cancel out.
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ASI sales rep Kevin McIver had this same issue when using his garage to for his band practices. He hung combination absorber/barrier blankets on the door. Check out the case study here: Silencing the KGB
You can call or email Kevin at work if you'd like to ask him about installation details: 804-346-8350 ext. 19 or [email protected]
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sweet, the hanging sound barrier idea sounds pretty promising. I am thinking of just having clips of sound barriers in front of the garage door.. maybe a few rows of them, to create kind of a soft layered "wall" of sound barriers. But it might be expensive :\
Can anyone recommend any other type of hang-able material we may be able to use? If I will be stacking rows of these things, the acoustic treatment properties of their faces will not be important for the ones that are hanging closer to the door itself.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While those blankets may help to deaden some of the sound, I think there are much better ways to more effectively combat noise leakage from the door and those ways might come in a little cheaper than the blankets if you are handy.
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Please let me know if you have any other ideas! As long as I can still open the garage door, I'm all ears
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 on the simple wall idea. easy enough to put up and take down later.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…