Quantcast
Need comments on DIY speaker stand design - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need comments on DIY speaker stand design
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Need comments on DIY speaker stand design

I own a pair of Lipinski L-707 and the Lipinski Monoblock amps. Initially I also wanted to get a pair of their stands, which integrate the amps nicely into the stand. However, soon I noticed that their amps only ship in heights that I think will not work very well for me. I would prefer a height of about 82cm, but they only sell 90cm and 75cm. I've been writing to Lipinski what they would recommend in a situation like that, however never received any response. So, in the end I figured out that it would probably be possible to build a similar stand with commonly available components. Here are the sketches and details I have been thinking about. I would greatly appreciate any comments about my design. Probably there even are still some flaws I haven't thought about.

Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-stand4.png
The design consists mainly of aluminium tubes with a diameter of 48mm and thickness of 3mm.

Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-stand1.jpg
The bottom plate will be of 4mm thick stainless steel with dimension 300mm x 390mm. Onto this plate 5 cylinders of aluminum will be screwed (probably glued as well) on each side. The cylinder have a diameter of 40mm and a height of 100mm. On each cylinder there is a o-ring with a thickness of 1mm. It's main purpose is to prevent sand from floating out of the tubes. Comparing the diameter of the cylinders and the inner diameter of the tubes, shows that there is a difference of 2mm in total. This is mainly due to the fact, that I could not find any cylinders which would perfectly fit into the tubes. However, the sand should float around the cylinders and fill any gaps. So I don't think this will be a problem. On to the top side of the cylinder a total of 3 threaded rods per side with a diameter of 10mm will be screwed, which will connect the top and the bottom plate.

Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-stand2.jpg
The top plate will be a stainless steel plate of 200mm x 290mm with a thickness of 3mm. The little cylinders that are attached to the plate are mainly to ensure the correct position of the tubes and will be of PVC or a similar material (haven't found the right ones with the right sizes yet). I will use a long nut to connect the threaded rod and the screws that go through the top plate. This will also allow to preload the aluminium tubes and hopefully create a sturdy stand.

Here is another pic with the tubes removed on one side. There will be a 2mm gap between the aluminium tubes to prevent any rattling that might occur.
Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-stand3.png

Let me know what you think...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand1.jpg (37.7 KB, 3567 views) File Type: png stand3.png (65.3 KB, 4890 views) File Type: jpg stand2.jpg (44.8 KB, 8922 views) File Type: png stand4.png (39.0 KB, 3689 views)
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You are planning to glue Al to stainless? You might make a plug to help contain the sand but don't count on getting much strength without some creative treatments. Sand filling is good. To tell you the truth, though, I'd be tempted to put a 7cm thick spiked and coned stone slab under the 75cm Lipinski stands.

If you do this build, be sure to radius the corners and edges of the plates. (Voice of experience.)
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea ➡️
You might make a plug to help contain the sand but don't count on getting much strength without some creative treatments.
Are you referring to the glue concerning the strength? If so, the glue is just to support the connection that is made by using a screw. It's not meant to keep anything in place on its own.

Quote:
To tell you the truth, though, I'd be tempted to put a 7cm thick spiked and coned stone slab under the 75cm Lipinski stands.
Yeah, I know that would work. However, there are several reasons for not heading down that road. One of them is that I have been talking to people who own the stands and they have been telling me that the stands are not that great. There is a review available from bob katz out there on the web as well, who kinda comes to a similar conclusion.

Quote:
If you do this build, be sure to radius the corners and edges of the plates. (Voice of experience.)
Yep, that's a no brainer, actually
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuk ➡️
Yep, that's a no brainer, actually
Since it was not an apparent design feature in your drawing, I thought it worth a mention.
Old 16th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Since it was not an apparent design feature in your drawing, I thought it worth a mention.
Yeah, it's just a sketch and I guess I will still be working on that for while.
Thank for your comments, though. Somehow they made me see my design from a different perspective, which is what I was actually looking for.
I am currently thinking about that I will need to connect the tubes to each other, as that will improve the sturdiness of the stand. However, I haven't come up with a good solution for that yet.
It would probably be an alternative to use square tubes, which would allow to glue the tubes to each other. But I am still thinking about that.
Old 21st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Pics or it didn't happen they say...
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-img_0819.jpg   Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-img_0828.jpg   Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-img_0846.jpg   Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-img_0882.jpg   Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-img_0895.jpg  

Need comments on DIY speaker stand design-img_0889.jpg  
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
707 stands

great stands, what's the square pipes dimension/thickness? did you glued them at the end? or threaded rods were enough? thanks for sharing
📝 Reply