Quantcast
Semi Rigid Mineral Wool: layers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Semi Rigid Mineral Wool: layers?
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Semi Rigid Mineral Wool: layers?

I am constructing a very small vocal booth for voice overs. The approximate inside dimensions will be 38W x 72L x 80H. It will be a massive structure that should be pretty soundproof, but I need to treat it acoustically. I have decided on mineral wool and I can get it anywhere from 1" thick in 4lb to 4" thick in 8lb densities.

In playing with the numerous reverb calculators online they all give me different figures depending on which one I use and which material - sometimes relatively conflicting. It would seem that thicker is better and heavier is better, but not always.

Question: Would there be ANY advantage to layering, like putting say a 1" layer of 4lb over a 1 or 2" layer of 8lb? Given the small dimensions of the available space, the thickness does matter and I was thinking of possibly going 2" total thickness on one long wall, 3" on another and 4+" on the ceiling.

Am I over-thinking this, or can you guys offer any advice given my circumstances? I should be finishing construction some time next week.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCVO ➡️
I am constructing a very small vocal booth for voice overs. The approximate inside dimensions will be 38W x 72L x 80H. It will be a massive structure that should be pretty soundproof, but I need to treat it acoustically. I have decided on mineral wool and I can get it anywhere from 1" thick in 4lb to 4" thick in 8lb densities.

In playing with the numerous reverb calculators online they all give me different figures depending on which one I use and which material - sometimes relatively conflicting. It would seem that thicker is better and heavier is better, but not always.

Question: Would there be ANY advantage to layering, like putting say a 1" layer of 4lb over a 1 or 2" layer of 8lb? Given the small dimensions of the available space, the thickness does matter and I was thinking of possibly going 2" total thickness on one long wall, 3" on another and 4+" on the ceiling.

Am I over-thinking this, or can you guys offer any advice given my circumstances? I should be finishing construction some time next week.
There is no advantage to layering at random. At 4" thick, 6 lb/ft³ mineral wool is about the best you can use.

Andre
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You are over thinking it, but small rooms like that are not going to sound all that great. I highly recommend just treating the control room well and recording in there or use the live room, if you have one.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…