The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Silencer box for wall (ductless) A/C Unit?
Old 17th July 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Silencer box for wall (ductless) A/C Unit?

Planning on having a ductless A/C in my live room. I think I'm going with one which apparently runs at 24 dB in "low" mode. I want to build some sort of box or cover that will bring this down 6 - 10 db so that I can have it on during vocal tracking sessions.

Any recommendations? Am I right in thinking this may work?

Thanks !!!!

-Dan
Old 17th July 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
And, at that note, what is considered a good "ambient noise level" for a tracking room?
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I wouldn't waste my time -

Recording Studio design criteria is NC 15-20 - which would translate to roughly 25-30dB, but this is also frequency dependent (lower levels at higher frequencies - higher levels at lower frequencies - for example an NC 20 would be around 51dB max at 63Hz and only 16dB max at 8kHz.

So the frequency of the equipment (which should be constant at a particular frequency) will be the real question, although units like that are generally very VERY quiet.

However - let's assume for a moment that it really was an issue for you....... it is not like your vocal recordings are going to take a continuous hour at a time -

You could (much more easily) tie the unit into a red light switch, bring the room to temperature and then just kill the unit for the few minutes you are actually tracking the vocal - no reason to worry about it during practice - or warm ups - etc.

A better question (in my mind anyway) would be how you are handling fresh air for the space? And the potential for noise issues in that regard..........

Rod
Old 21st July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais โžก๏ธ
I wouldn't waste my time -

Recording Studio design criteria is NC 15-20 - which would translate to roughly 25-30dB, but this is also frequency dependent (lower levels at higher frequencies - higher levels at lower frequencies - for example an NC 20 would be around 51dB max at 63Hz and only 16dB max at 8kHz.

So the frequency of the equipment (which should be constant at a particular frequency) will be the real question, although units like that are generally very VERY quiet.

However - let's assume for a moment that it really was an issue for you....... it is not like your vocal recordings are going to take a continuous hour at a time -

You could (much more easily) tie the unit into a red light switch, bring the room to temperature and then just kill the unit for the few minutes you are actually tracking the vocal - no reason to worry about it during practice - or warm ups - etc.

A better question (in my mind anyway) would be how you are handling fresh air for the space? And the potential for noise issues in that regard..........

Rod

Thanks Rod,

I was going to have an A/C guy install a simple (small) ducted vent fan to feed my tracking room and control room, and plan on silencing it in one way or another... Any suggestions?

-Dan
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…