The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Barn Conversion - how sound proof are stone walls?
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Barn Conversion - how sound proof are stone walls?

Hi there

I just went to view a property for rent, with a view to making it my home studio. The main things i do are produce hiphop/electronic music, record rappers/singers and mix music for clients. I have guitars and combo amps, and want to use them instead of keeping them in storage as there isn't the space my current studio. I also have a drum kit, although i am no drummer. I have Adam S3A speakers.

The place i viewed is a small barn conversion, and although they said it was detached on the property listing, turned out it wasn't and there were other people living either side. Damn.

The walls are thick stone about 1-2 feet thick, but you can't tell for sure how thick!), but i'm assuming this wouldn't be enough to stop sound leakage bothering the neighbours? Especially since there's a neighbours bedroom next to the room where i'd have my studio setup.

I could forgo using the drums at 3am - or even at all - i would only use them to practice and capture the rare take. During the day on a Saturday is no problem. But the big speakers and shouty rappers at 3am is an issue.

I understand it's hard to give an answer - that's the problem, i can't really find out without just trying it, but that's a pretty big chance to take. Does anyone have any experience living in one of these British stone walled barns/cottages? What is the sound leakage like?

Any advice on anything i could do/ask to clarify things, would be great.

If i have to rule it out, that's fine... but the place is stunning, and cheap, and i sort of fell in love with it...

Cheers
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Forgot i posted a picture - The property i looked at is through the double doors. It's everything between the black drain pips, and the downstairs area that i'd make the studio is the entire width of that, but sort of to the left.

You can see a little 'garage' type thing on the left, that's actually someone elses bedroom. There'd only be that stone wall separating us, however it's quite thick.

And the same issue on the right, although the bedroom would be upstairs

Also, it's in the countryside, so it's so quiet at night, you can probably hear a pin drop.

Does it look like a no go on the face of it?

I think i kinda know the answer already but don't want to admit it as the place is so beautiful and perfect in every other aspect... just looking for someone to put it bluntly. I've been looking for over a year and things are getting ridiculous.

Thanks!
Old 27th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey man, It seems like a really cool place to me. There's honestly not anyone here that can tell you exactly how much isolation those walls will have. You can very easily take some measurements of your own though. If your walls are really 1 foot thick stone, I think you'll be just fine. You'll be building room within a room anyhow.

I say go for it.

Neil
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Neil!

Thanks for your reply. The only catch with that is that i'm renting not buying, and so i won't be building a room within a room, or anything! In fact all i'll be doing is putting up acoustic treatment so i can mix and record. I've included a picture of the current interior, as if you were standing at the double front doors, and facing to the left.

The wall with the doll picture on it is the one that's shared with the neighbours bedroom on the 'left' of the property.

Just mulling over the place and looking for some opinions... As you can see it's beautiful and i've never had the opportunity to stay in such a nice place before!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Barn Conversion - how sound proof are stone walls?-barn1.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
fwiw i called and asked if the current tenant can call me for a chat as he clearly plays guitar himself... not quite a 'studio', but still!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The wall on the left is 36" of stone, and the one on the right is 24"....

The landlady says that it's no problem to do music there... so, i went for it! Pu t a deposit down.

As a city boy it will be a very weird experience!

If it doesn't work out, then i'll just have to move in 6 months.

Expect 'how shall i treat my room' threads soon!

Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply