Building Portable Walls/Gobo's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building Portable Walls/Gobo's
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Building Portable Walls/Gobo's

Hi,

So I have a big room, and want to build some portable walls/gogo's to act as both sound treatment, and a room divider. My main question is about insulation, and spacing. I am planning on building three 6x8 foot walls (wxh). I am planning on using wither some Fire Batts (cheaper) or 703 type insulation for the walls, which would require six 24"x48" pieces of insulation per wall. This will all be done with 2x4 boards, one side will be drywalled, and the other I would like to lay some burlap fabric over and staple for sound absorption.

My question is, should I be measuring to the center of the boards for insulation? So, would each wall need to be 6'2" x 8'4" in order for the insulation to hold in place well? See attachment for current plan and let me know if 6 peices of 24"x48" fiberglass will hold in place well.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Building Portable Walls/Gobo's-wall_plan.jpg  
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Your drawings are too tight. 703 and mineral wool both come 24"x48". They neither one need much tighter than 1/16" to fit good and snug.

So, you measure edge to edge, of each opening @ 24", then take a blade/pencil width to get em' tight.

[edit]
Then too, I wouldn't build the frames until you actually have your materials... and it ain't like it's hard to cut to size either. Just use a box knife and you have a custom fit.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
ok, now I have another question. Thank you for the answer!

Now, would the Roxul Acoustical Fire Batts work for $34/six pack:
Roxul Acoustical Fire Batts Mineral Wool 2 inch Case of 6

OR

Should I just go with the Rigid fiber glass at $59/six back, which is basically just like 703:
ATS Acoustics Rigid Fiberglass Board

Please explain why, as I would like to save some money if the first option will work. Also, would it be better to get the 4", or put spacers in the wall and use the 2". Thanks
๐Ÿ“ Reply