The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noise Control
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Noise Control

Hello Slutz!

Just a quick question!

I have recently taken over the running of a small community based studio that is attached to a publicly used community centre. Recently we have started to get more and more commercial interest therefore we have received a few complaints about the level of sound leaking from the live room into the meeting hall, via the corridor (shown in the plan and layout attached.)

SO! We have been asked to either stop tracking (and earning) during certain times or control the noise via constructing a wall in the corridor just before the door to the toilet, on the right hand wall of the corridor.

Would you guys recommend we build a 2 skinned wall filled between with Fiberglass wool? And would you recommend using a timber and plaster construction or a concrete block construction, i say this as i was lead to believe that added mass will help to reduce sound transmission.

Like I said, a quick one hahaha. Thanks in advance for any help offered

Joe.

Last edited by CakeHouse; 18th November 2009 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Picture Fail!
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
bump?
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Perfectly Ugly

Hi Joe, nice Sketchuping. In general principle, building a wall to create a wall/space/wall system is very effective. A two leaf plasterboard and staggered studs, with each layer TOTALLY separated from the other, will perform as well as concrete, but the details need to be impeccable. One hole leak or contact link from skin to skin and it's all wasted. Brick walls are usually compromised because the block layers do not entirely fill each gap. Lots of bubbles in the cement is not the same as solid concrete. Either way the most important factor is that it be done right. Less than perfect will certainly fail. You need to get the people doing the construction talking to us to be sure there is understanding. Or you provide the link.
Don't remember where I got this, so anonymous thanks. Says it all.
Noise Control-walls.gif

To be sure of success, I suggest that you carefully investigate the travel paths of the sound. It can be very difficult to identify what is coming from where, particularly with Bass. That corridor is already a Wall/Space/Wall system. Why is it not stopping sound?
So before you build, look for leaks. Put draftproof seals on doors. What is happening overhead? Sound can easily travel up into the attic and down again. There are lots of possible what we call Flanking paths. Sound is ingenious at finding a way.....
DD
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➑️
Snip!
Thanks for the reply buddy!

The corridor is acting like a Wall-Space-Wall at the moment yes, however the walls aren't that thick. The main complaint is that the low frequencies are leaking through into the hall. I didn't think that door seals would affect this too much.

I'm gonna have to look more deeply into the construction needed to help solve our problem. Would you suggest isolating the new walls from existing floors/walls etc with neoprene or something similar? Or would this create a gap for the sound to travel through? And would you put a caulk seal between the new structure and any existing structure?

Thanks again!

Joe
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The greatest difficulty is that you have given incomplete information to give an accurate recommendation. As came out in your third post, the main problem is low frequencies. These are difficult and expensive to isolate. First of all they are often transmitted by flanking paths. There is not enough infoamtion on the rest of the construction to give meaningful sugestions to cure the the problem.

Andre
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➑️
The greatest difficulty is that you have given incomplete information to give an accurate recommendation. As came out in your third post, the main problem is low frequencies. These are difficult and expensive to isolate. First of all they are often transmitted by flanking paths. There is not enough infoamtion on the rest of the construction to give meaningful sugestions to cure the the problem.

Andre
Hi Andre,

What kind of info would you require?

Joe
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Bankers

The lurking truth here is that a three leaf system is likely to perform worse than a two leaf. This is a broad statement, details may reverse it, however it should shatter any intuitive assumptions.
I recommend that you:-
1 carefully identify the paths. I see no reason why Bass would not happily go through the door gaps. And through the doors for that matter, they are generally weaker than the wall.
Look for any other leaks, flanking paths. How about that ceiling?
Seal any leaks you find, even in light fittings, HVAC, everything.

Now beef up the Mass of any surfaces that bass is transmitting through.

Get heavier doors, gypsum or even sand filled, with gas tight seals. Consider 'Acoustic' doors or top grade Fire doors.

For any walls proven to be a path, apply a second layer of sheetrock. A heavy one, perhaps with a layer of GreenGlue.

Now, if these measures don't fully deliver, you are still in a winning position.
Their benefits will still apply even if you do end up building secondary walls onto the existing ones or even a standalone one.

I am not going to design the wall for you. Unless it is carefully designed, with full information of context, it could easily fail to deliver. I know this is hard to believe, but 3 can really underperform 2. If you do eventually have to do the wall, get pro advice. Andre is nearer to you, would know codes, and has experience and chops better than mine.
DD
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeHouse ➑️
Hi Andre,

What kind of info would you require?

Joe

DanDan covered it quite well in his post just above this.

Andre
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…