My studio layout - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My studio layout
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
Here is my take on it. There are people out there that do one room set ups all the time with great success. But for me I can't stand to be sitting in the same room with a drummer POUNDING away for hours on end or some person whacking away on the guitar to find that "perfect sound".
Hey Glenn, John or Frank
One more quick question....
Since space is one of my issues...

Acoustics are more natural in a 15 X 26 room than a 11X9 room (the size of the control room IF i put the wall up)....

Acoustics are also better if you sit at the 38% rule point....

Also knowing that I would be seriously bass trapping with superchunks, which would be a better ( i didn't say best... i know neither is great...) solution.

A) sitting in a 15 X 26 room at around 20-25% from the front wall...
or
B) sitting the exact 38% in a 9X15 with good bass treatment.

Cory
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the interest of keeping the visualizations of both concepts equal, here's a quick sketch of a two room plan:
Attached Thumbnails
My studio layout-two-room.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo67 ➑️
Hey Glenn, John or Frank
One more quick question....
Since space is one of my issues...

Acoustics are more natural in a 15 X 26 room than a 11X9 room (the size of the control room IF i put the wall up)....

Acoustics are also better if you sit at the 38% rule point....

Also knowing that I would be seriously bass trapping with superchunks, which would be a better ( i didn't say best... i know neither is great...) solution.

A) sitting in a 15 X 26 room at around 20-25% from the front wall...
or
B) sitting the exact 38% in a 9X15 with good bass treatment.

Cory
My theory...

in a 15' plane, the difference between ideal 38% (5.7') and worst case scenario 50% (7.5') is less than 2' of difference.

Personally I'd rather get closer to the front wall and deal with "less than ideal" at the mix position, than have the band standing right behind me in "worst case scenario" if I were at 38%. Does that make sense?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
My theory...

in a 15' plane, the difference between ideal 38% (5.7') and worst case scenario 50% (7.5') is less than 2' of difference.

Personally I'd rather get closer to the front wall and deal with "less than ideal" at the mix position, than have the band standing right behind me in "worst case scenario" if I were at 38%. Does that make sense?
Uhm... yes... but... let's see. The first thing you said makes total sense. I guess what I was trying to ask is if I went with the "one big room" idea... my speakers would be firing along the long wall (26 feet) The speakers would be about 4 to 5 feet from the rear wall and about 7 feet apart from each other. My mix position would be about 8.5 to 9 feet back from the front wall. Not quite 38% which is about 10 feet. If this is still an adequate mixing position, I will most likely take your advice and AT LEAST start with your idea of one big room. If I have to later I will divide it. But I also don't really want to spend a LOT of money on building a wall "the right way" because this may only be a temporary studo set up (4 or 5 years) where as my other investments in acoustics are all easily moved from one studio to another, the wall would be a sunk cost.
What do you think

Cory
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok I get it.

Well, based on my previous answer, I don't think 38% of the smaller room is realistic, because of the reason given.

I guess I don't see why 38% of a single room isn't doable, given that the space in front of you is still usable. If it's a terrible concern of space while tracking, you could always move closer to the wall while tracking, and pull it back to "ideal" while mixing.

Given the investment of building a wall correctly (keep in mind that technically you'd want a diffent floor and ceiling for each room as well$$$$), and that this is a temporary solution, I think you'd be crazy to put up a wall. Personally.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok, well, I guess for now I'm going to go with just the one room, and THEN if it becomes necessary I will look at dividing it.

Thank you John, Glenn and Frank

You were all most helpful
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
John, Frank or really any one with an opinion

Since I am going to go with a single room, what would be a simple and somewhat inexpensive way of isolating "very quiet micing applications" such as vocals and acoustic guitars from the room noise of the computers, hardware drivers, etc

Simple movable baffles?

What about this?
Buy sE Electronics SERF Reflexion Filter 3.5 | Acoustic Treatments | Musician's Friend

Any ideas guys
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I'd go with movable baffles or "gobos" as they are generally called over that mic shield, because they will be usable for other purposes, as well as yield better results. For example, you can use the gobos to semi-isolate guitar cabs when tracking a full band, the vocal or acoustic booth you have mentioned, as well as pull them in around the mix position to kill some reflections. Frank and Glenn sell some hinged traps that can stand independently. Frank can point you towards those when he shows up. If you can't afford them, they will at least give you a jumping off point to build your own.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo67 ➑️
John, Frank or really any one with an opinion

Since I am going to go with a single room, what would be a simple and somewhat inexpensive way of isolating "very quiet micing applications" such as vocals and acoustic guitars from the room noise of the computers, hardware drivers, etc

Simple movable baffles?

What about this?
Buy sE Electronics SERF Reflexion Filter 3.5 | Acoustic Treatments | Musician's Friend

Any ideas guys
Yep, gobos are the answer there. The SE Reflection filter thing is fine, but it's not for isolation. There are a bunch of great gobo designs in this section of the forum.

Frank
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…