Quantcast
Need Help with Home studio layout. pics included - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Help with Home studio layout. pics included
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Need Help with Home studio layout. pics included

Hey guys, I posed this in the studio pics page and didnt get any response so I'm posting it here hoping ill get more of a response. I'm new to the forum but have been checking it for a while to answer questions I have had in the past. I am now building a studio in a spare bedroom and due to the awkward layout of the room, am not sure exactly the best way acoustically to lay out the equipment. The room is approximately 10' X 13' with 8' cieling. Along one wall is built in shelving that must stay. My main delemma is whether to place my desk/monitor setup so that my back will be facing the built ins and use them as diffusors with bass trapping in the corners(pictured), or put the shelving behind the desk so im looking towards it. Check out the pics, and i even made an accurate 3D render of the room so you can see. If you want a different perspective of the room please let me know and i can either take a separate shot or adjust the render. Oh and sorry for the mess in the pics, I'm in the process of cleaning it out. Thanks so much guys. Dave.

Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's going to be a challenging space no matter what you do. Since you won't get symmetry at the mix position regardless, I'd default toward facing the window and firing down the longest dimension of the room. The bookshelves won't provide any useful diffusion, so don't worry about that. More on that myth here. Actually, if you wanted to fill the shelf spaces with mineral wool/703 then cover it up with fabric, that would be better. I'd do 4" broad band traps everywhere except the back wall...6" traps there. Use panels on stands if you have to. You only have 1-1/2 useful corners, but superchunk bass traps would work well there.

Frank
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling that having the desk by the window will cause more of an asymmetrical listening position based on the shelving. having the desk where it is in the diagram provides more symmetry as far as the side walls. keep in mind the closet by the door has heavy doors and i will be treating them with foam and curtains as well as the window with heavy curtains. I had planned on filling the shelves toward the corners with fiberglass to create bass traps as well as trapping all the corners. This really is the best option since having a twin bed in the room is needed. do you think it would work, I've seen sound on sound rearrange and treat rooms with less symmetry than this one, and they have acousticians come in i believe. Thanks.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I had planned on filling the shelves toward the corners with fiberglass to create bass traps as well as trapping all the corners.
I would fill ALL the shelves with fiberglass as you are going to get MEAN nulls and peaks coming from behind you. In fact you could put fiberglass in all the shelves then cover with fabric which will look pretty nice.

So what is up with the Star Trek poster.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
I would fill ALL the shelves with fiberglass as you are going to get MEAN nulls and peaks coming from behind you. In fact you could put fiberglass in all the shelves then cover with fabric which will look pretty nice.
If you do as Glenn suggested it'll probably work just fine.

Frank
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks, im reconsidering putting the desk by the window, do you guy thing the shelving directly to my left will mess with the stereo image alot?

Oh the star trek poster belongs to my geek parents. Thanks guys
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
step 1 : clean
step 2 : clean a little bit more
step 3 : listen to the rest of these guys
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Oh the star trek poster belongs to my geek parents. Thanks guys
Come on don't blame your parents, ITS YOURS!!! lol lol
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, do you know if it would be possible in any way to have the desk firing down toward the window, having it facing the closet? That would work with my needs and still fit in with what you guys are suggesting. Thanks
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Okay guys went through the room and cleared some stuff out so i could properly measure. I decided that i could trade the bed for a futon which is a bit smaller so the desk can fit in front of the window with the futon behind my back. so what do i need to do acoustically. I had planned to get 2 inch pyramid foam for the mirror positions of the speakers and 8 foam bass traps for the corners, Can I get away with filling some shelves, not all, with possibly that type of cotton insulation instead of fiberglass, that stuff isnt nice on your hands. then covering those shelves with cloth. Can i use regular cotton cloth or do i need to buy burlap. I have tons of old sheets and stuff that i can cut up. The reason i ask about all this is that if i don't spend everything on treatment, i can get better preamps and stuff. Thanks alot for your help. Live long and prosper... haha
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Alright guys heres what i came up with. The shelves towards the corners of the room will be filled with something to absorb. Planning on curtains over that but included a shot without the curtains over the shelves to show the traps behind them. Let me know what you think.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool, except you don't want foam for bass trapping. It'll work great for first reflection points, but you want to use panels made from rigid fiberglass or mineral wool at the wall/ceiling corners, vertical corners and on the back wall...which is my next point. The curtains look nice back there, but you'll need some bass trapping on the back wall for sure. Also, make sure you're set up so that your ears are 38% of the way inside the room.

Frank
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
That seems really over the top to build bass traps for a temporary studio, ive seen worse treatment in some studios that have produced really great mixes. Im not too great with construction, alot of the diy stuff is alot of work. I think that using these will help and then the rest is just learning the room, dont you think?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbmx ➑️
That seems really over the top to build bass traps for a temporary studio, ive seen worse treatment in some studios that have produced really great mixes. Im not too great with construction, alot of the diy stuff is alot of work. I think that using these will help and then the rest is just learning the room, dont you think?
No, I'm afraid I don't think that at all. People build bass traps for "temporary" studios all the time...a quick look around this forum will tell you that. Besides, "temporary" locations have a way of becoming...not very temporary, and if the acoustics are bad no amount of "learning the room" will make the it accurate. I promise you, you'll get very, very sick of going out to your car to check your mixes. If you do a search you'll find thousands of posts telling you the same thing.

Sorry...wish I had a less laborious solution for you. On the bright side, if you want to DIY there are tons of posts telling exactly how to do it.

Frank
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I took a look around and found a sound on sound article that describes creating a box with rockwool toward the front, and foam over the top. Studio SOS
Basically I already have boxes built, the shelves. could i just do this to them to help with the low frequencies? the shelves are about a foot deep. Also i took a look at the realtraps information and the site states that having a realtrap suspended in a corner with air behind it is more effective. I also have seen another sound on sound article that i cant find now where they used foam panels and suspended them across a corner instead of using solid bass traps. From what i know of acoustics depending on how far from the wall would depend on how low the frequency it would absorb, given 1/4 wavelength. Basically i could afford alot more trapping by building these instead of buying solid foam traps. I really am not up for creating the fiberglass wooden traps with the burlap, honestly way too much work. Ive gotten good mixes out of a 5x5 cubed room once i figured out the translation and the sweet spot. Im not trying to disagree with your advice, i really appreciate it, im just trying to find other options. Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️
, if you wanted to fill the shelf spaces with mineral wool/703 then cover it up with fabric, that would be better.

Frank
You read my mind mate!thumbsup
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok guys i found this site that has packages of 703 fiberglass Acoustic Treatment Panels and Bass Traps - OWENS CORNING 703 RIGID FIBERGLASS 2" thick
and also pre made wraps for them Acoustic Treatment Panels and Bass Traps - DIY EZ-WRAP ACOUSTIC FABRIC (PRE-MADE WRAPS)
It doesnt get much easier than that, i can put them in the corners of the room and tack them up with staples, btw does anyone know how much a 2" 24x48 panel of 703 weighs? I can also get more panels and simply put them in some of the shelves, done, then get some auralex foam for the main parts of the walls since a kit is going to come for free with the desk im getting. Good plan?? Heres some pics of a mockup, i think im going to still use either foam bass traps or the suspended foam panels for the cieling/wall corners.

Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey Glenn, i went to your site and i think im going to buy some bass traps from you. I am also thinking of filling almost all the shelves with material but the only concern is that i dont want to work with cutting fiberglass would cotton based insulation work just as well? and which specific type should i get? Also will filling all these shelves on one side of the room affect my stereo image since one side of the room will be significantly more dead than the other? I plan on getting a couple of GIK 244s for the front two corners. 3 GIK 242s for the side reflection points and the back wall. and possibly a monster trap for the rear of the room. I am getting auralex free with the desk im getting so i can tame the high frequencies with spot treatment. do you think this will be enough for this room. Also theres gonna be a big futon behind my back so that may help a bit too. Thanks alot for your help guys. I think im almost settled.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
bump

bump
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…