The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Odd shaped control Room
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➡️
next week we are coming out with a new panel that is 2 panels hinged together.
That's a great idea Glenn!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer ➡️
That's a great idea Glenn!
Thanks Ethan,

I saw something like this at a show but just took it 1 step further to be used as a bass trap also. I guess you could also use it in the early reflection points but just standing it up in the area or hang it on the wall. I would think you PVB could be used the same way in the early reflection point. If so you might want to point that out on your website. Heck they might just buy 2.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
you might want to point that out on your website. Heck they might just buy 2.
You mean like this?

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
That would be it!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

Oh wait this thing we are doing is 6' high and hinged and you can stand it up in the corner the way you show, but we would have it so the V is out in the room, not tucked in the corner. I guess you could hing a mini trap and do the same thing. The cool part is the 6' height which covers more corner area and covers a signer when used as a Voc Booth or hing more to cover higher around a piano, drum set or what ever.

Glenn
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
we would have it so the V is out in the room, not tucked in the corner.
Right we do that too. Hinged MondoTraps are almost five feet high, but can still be shipped by FedEx economically. Add a pair of 2x2 MiniTraps on top and now it's almost 7 feet high.

--Ethan
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer ➡️
Right we do that too. Hinged MondoTraps are almost five feet high, but can still be shipped by FedEx economically. Add a pair of 2x2 MiniTraps on top and now it's almost 7 feet high.

--Ethan
that would work, but the cool part is you just listed 4 panels that 1 set would do. heh sure you can get 2 of our Monsters and hing them and then a pack of 242s and put those on stands. So many ways to attack this animal, but I like the 1 panel doing a lot of different things. Less money, more options!!

Needless to say I am trying to point out to the OP that he could make something like we are putting out. It would not cost him a arm and leg and cover more things in the room.
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think both ways have merit.

One benefit of multiple panels is that you can be more flexible while recording, ie, put the 4' or 4'9" tall gobos around a drum kit, and the 2x2 gobos around combo amps while cutting basic tracks. Or, if you are tracking vocals, put them on top of each other to get the 6'9" tall gobo.

But, sometimes one panel is simpler.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl ➡️
I think both ways have merit.

One benefit of multiple panels is that you can be more flexible while recording, ie, put the 4' or 4'9" tall gobos around a drum kit, and the 2x2 gobos around combo amps while cutting basic tracks. Or, if you are tracking vocals, put them on top of each other to get the 6'9" tall gobo.

But, sometimes one panel is simpler.
I think getting back on subject about what the OP wants is the BEST idea.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think getting back on subject about what the OP wants is the BEST idea.
Thanks Glenn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➡️
I have a 2x4 panel of light rigid fibre, wrapped in Polyester. It is very easy to hold up in situ, if you, unlike Glenn, have a friend that is ;-)
Even if you have no friends, like Glenn, you can suspend it on a mic stand. A combination of this and visual clues (parallel bare hard areas) will pinpoint the worst spots easily.
Hey Dan, I missed the clue on this part slightly, are you using the 2x4 panels to find reflections, or are they the treatment on the wall? Then again you wouldn't need a mic stand....

Could you clarify? Thanks!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Paths

The 2x4 panel is moved into various positions to interrupt the paths of the flutters. These paths will be between two parallel surfaces. Placing the panel on or near one of those surfaces will kill the flutter. It is very specific. That spot is where you will then apply your treatment panel. The mic stand is to hold it up and in place if you, like Glenn :-) have no friend to do that.
DD
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
like Glenn :-) have no friend to do that.
DD
Don't let 6000 miles between us let you think I can not come over and BEAT you up. Or pay the pub tab.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Don't let 6000 miles between us let you think I can not come over and BEAT you up. Or pay the pub tab.
Glenn is vicious. Like a tall, skinny, vicious monkey or something. dfegad

Frank
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Scary

Frank- the mental picture you have conjured up .......
:-) DD
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

You know guys I see no reason for you to be so insulting to me. I am sticking to the facts and now have become the victim in your on going rudeness.

Oh wait

Ok I feel better now!! heh
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The 2x4 panel is moved into various positions to interrupt the paths of the flutters. These paths will be between two parallel surfaces. Placing the panel on or near one of those surfaces will kill the flutter. It is very specific. That spot is where you will then apply your treatment panel. The mic stand is to hold it up and in place if you, like Glenn :-) have no friend to do that.
DD
Thanks Dan makes perfectly sense!

Now it's time to get the tools started up and start building. Will let you guys know when there's some progress and try to take some pictures during the build.

Thanks everybody for all the help!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…