Quantcast
New Build. (floorplan attached) Opinions PLEASE?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Build. (floorplan attached) Opinions PLEASE??
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
New Build. (floorplan attached) Opinions PLEASE??

Hi guys. Need some professional opinions on my room design. We just looked at the building for the first time today. Its a 1500sq foot warehouse with a restroom, shower and office already built out.

We are going to go with a ceiling height of 14ft in the live room. The office in the back will be extended out to make room for the control room. The ceiling height of the control room is currently only 8ft.

Also I was wondering if my angles in the live room and control room appear to be ok?

There is a loft already built on top of the office(future control room)that we will be enclosing to create a lounge overlooking the live room via a large window.

Here is a picture of the raw room as it sits now and a rough sketch of our floor plan. Please let me know what I need to change.

Thanks in advance. J.
Attached Thumbnails
New Build. (floorplan attached) Opinions PLEASE??-elitewestashley1txtmes.jpg   New Build. (floorplan attached) Opinions PLEASE??-new-room.jpg  

Last edited by JSRogers; 30th January 2009 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: not enough info
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Since I can't see any actual angles, I'm just guessing here, but the splay on your CR walls seems pretty severe. I know you might lose your closet if you relax them a bit, but you already have a lot of little rooms for storage.

I'd also bring the face of your "hall" out a bit more to make your main room a little bit smoother. I don't really like having that 1 foot of hallway right in the middle of the main room. Other than that, looks good. You may want to calculate your room dimensions accounting for the thickness of your walls as well. It's not uncommon for there to be 2 feet of 'guts' between the control room wall surface and the wall surface in your main room. This may force you to recalculate your dimensions a bit, since your perimeter dimension is static.

Download the FREE version of Sketchup from google. Just google it and download it. Start doing your design work in sketchup and post the rendered JPG's as well as a skp file of your work. This will allow people to look around your design and find specific measurements that can be critical to your design.

Since I haven't seen Andre around here in awhile, I'll do his work for him:

"Building a good Studio is 90% design and 10% construction."

Neil

P.S. Where is Andre?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Also, what is your budget? This will help us out a lot. You have 8 doors drawn in your plan. Doors are EXPENSIVE. Arranging your rooms to minimize doors and windows will save you a lot of money. Changing your design is a lot cheaper than realizing you're out of money and your studio isn't done.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, buy Rod Gervais' book "Home Studios: Build it like a pro". This site as well as many others will reference that book constantly. Rod actually posts on GS and is incredibly useful and helpful, so that is worth the price of the book itself. When do you plan to start building? Add 2 months to that. I'm not an expert, but if you want to chat sometime PM me.

Take care,

Neil
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for response. Im getting rid of the mic closet and relaxing the splay of the control room corners up front. Also moving the hallway out to make it flush with the wall. Going to have to leave the control room ceiling at 8'3". My problem is now that the landlord backed out on a build out allowance. He is going to pay for the HVAC which will save us a nice chunk. We are doing all the building ourselves.

I already have all cabling, absorption panels,wall plates. etc.
I bacically have about $15k-$20k for walls,ceiling, floors, and doors. Anyone think this is possible?

Its a small project studio not a major facility so please dont flame me for trying to build it cheap. I have a pretty nice place now but the building is being sold and I have no choice but to make this work. Any help would be nice.

Thanks in advance. J.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…