Quantcast
Too much acoustic foam? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Too much acoustic foam?
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Too much acoustic foam?

I have a vocal booth, that i built. see pics below.

(i know the mic is not pointed right lol don't worry)

HERE'S THE QUESTION

I have acoustic foam on all 4 walls top to bottom, on the door, and on the .ceiling with carpet flooring. Is this too much foam?

i been wondering, as you see had this built in 07 so this is the first time i got on a website and try to figure out the real way to do things.

i actually just built this booth with no plan. Just went to lowes, got material and started building. The walls are triple thick (wall inside a wall with pink isolation in the middle)

Let me know if i did something wrong please and how i could go about correcting it.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

That's not too much foam because you want a small booth to be totally dead. But it's probably not enough bass trapping. Is the sound nicely dead, or somewhat boomy too? If boomy on low male voices, then you need to add some bass traps.

--Ethan
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I know it sounds a little brutal, but...

Any foam is too much. Abandon the foam for acoustics treatments that provide broadband absorption, and get some bass trapping. Foam absorbs high frequencies usually, and ignore the rest of the spectrum in comparison. That type of paneling provides more diffusion than absorption to me, even though that is an exaggeration. As he said, it will be "boomy" or filled with too much low end. You want to create a room that naturally does what you need it to do rather than have to alter your vocal sound to tape. Ever feel as though voices you record get muddy ?
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I agree on the posts above. The wall treatment of your speaker box is your natural EQ. The lower the walls absorbe, the flatter and better your mic will sound. I have 10 cm fiberglass absorbers in my box, covering every inch of the walls and ceiling. When you get a lower signal in the mic preamps LED, you are on the right track! You want to record the voice, not the room.

But I like the lava lamp!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…