Quantcast
Setting Recording Microphone-Booth in a Closet/Pan-Tree! HELP!!!!!!!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setting Recording Microphone-Booth in a Closet/Pan-Tree! HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Question Setting Recording Microphone-Booth in a Closet/Pan-Tree! HELP!!!!!!!!!

Im really serious about this lol. im settin a recording booth in my apartment's closet/pan-tree area. I gota work with what i have. so shoot away with your ideas. what i need to have a acoustic treated closet. i dont have much experience with the setup nor i have ever done this before so please explain everything in details.

first suggestion from my opinion was to put auralex foam in front of the artist and the sides to kill the noise. im ont sure how big or small i should buy these pads. do you guys usually glue it on? cause i dont want to ruin my apartment's walls caues i do have to move out one day lol. maybe put it on a plywood. anyway shoot away with other ideas of what i need to have a professional setup with something like that. think of everything i will need big or small.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
a little auralex couldn't hurt for the high end but you will probably find you have really big problems in the lowend depending on the size and shape of the space.

try some oc703 or similar in there to try to tame a wider range of frequencies than the auralex will catch.

either way remember that you are working with a closet after all.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

You are better off in the corner of the room. Put up 703/Roxul in the corner, set up the mic facing the corner about 3 feet out and put your back to the corner.

"Pan-tree".....

-tINY

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
here is the pic of the closet. the shelves gona be a problem. maybe i can put a one long plywood piece from top to bottom try to cover that half and maybe glue some aura pads on top of it?? or maybe cover it with a blanket or maybe put blanket in each one??

whats a oc703.. is it some type of pad also.. same for roxul?? tell me more about it please.
Attached Thumbnails
Setting Recording Microphone-Booth in a Closet/Pan-Tree! HELP!!!!!!!!!-closet-4.jpg  
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Go post over at the acoustics forum - be ready to learn...

https://gearspace.com/board/bass-tra...nels-foam-etc/

-tINY

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If you absolutely have to record in that closet, you are probably better off leaving the shelves exposed with as much of that stuff there as possible.

If the reason you are forced to record in there is computer noise, then consider putting your computer in the closet and recording in the room. Tiny vocal booths sound weird.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yea im ready to learn. mods, please move this thread to studio construction. i figured recording in a closet would be a better choice since the room is kinda big? am i wrong?

right now all my computer and music setup is in my living room which is probably twice as big as the room but i dont want to treat my living room, my family wont like that.

isn the room is harder to control acoustically vs a closet? ill probalby have to move my setup into my room if i decided to record there.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
how about those elevator pads? would they work? the ones they use during construction to protect the inside of the elevators lol. that might work to surround all the walls? what yall think? or am i insane>?

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz ➑️
yea im ready to learn. mods, please move this thread to studio construction. i figured recording in a closet would be a better choice since the room is kinda big? am i wrong?

right now all my computer and music setup is in my living room which is probably twice as big as the room but i dont want to treat my living room, my family wont like that.

isn the room is harder to control acoustically vs a closet? ill probalby have to move my setup into my room if i decided to record there.
A room that little is not treated easy. Maybe its even better to use the untreated living room or think about storing some movable basstraps in this closet, which you can put in the living room when you record.
Maybe this can help: RealTraps - Vocal Booths
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
hows this stuff? by se electronics. check it out. its made for untreated rooms? i wonder if it works.

or (dont laugh) this L O L... whatever works right? dont knwo if it do lol

Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I never track anything beyond a scratch take in a booth (Which is still bigger than your closet). Is your room noisy in some way? Are you doing voice overs or are you singing?

The problem with a closet is you will get a build up of boomy bass frequencies. In order to effectively absorb that, you would have to pack so much sound absorbing material in the closet you wouldn't be able to stand in there. If your room is noisy, then try one of those portable screens out. Or better yet, check out this site on how to build a cheap booth.

Simple Soundbooth
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb ➑️
I never track anything beyond a scratch take in a booth (Which is still bigger than your closet). Is your room noisy in some way? Are you doing voice overs or are you singing?

The problem with a closet is you will get a build up of boomy bass frequencies. In order to effectively absorb that, you would have to pack so much sound absorbing material in the closet you wouldn't be able to stand in there. If your room is noisy, then try one of those portable screens out. Or better yet, check out this site on how to build a cheap booth.

Simple Soundbooth
if booth is not a good idea then screw it i wont do it. we just gona be doin rap vocals, no guitars, drums or anything else. strictkly rap vocals.

room is slight noisy, for example. computer fan noise, refrigerator noise, cars on the street passin by noise lol. maybe i can have my setup in the living room and have the artist record outta my room which dont have nothing else. but still gona have the street car noise. but no computer, or frig fan noize. what u think?

good lookin on the link. ill check it out now.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Maybe with the street noise your Rap sounds more authentic.
Directly from the streetz, u know!

A movable Basstrap, would absorb a bit of those noises you described.
You can even build them on your own.
How I built my bass traps... for example.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seriously...don't record in that closet. The result will be horrible no matter what you do to it. tINY is 100% correct: use the larger room. Treat that and add a reflection filter or panels on stands or something. Switch to a nice dynamic mic (Shure SM7 or EV RE20, for example) rather than a condenser. The end product will be worlds better than anything done in a tiny room no matter how expensive the equipment used to record it.

Frank
πŸ“ Reply