Quantcast
Dealing with a chimney stack in the room? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dealing with a chimney stack in the room?
Old 23rd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Lightbulb Dealing with a chimney stack in the room?

Hi Guys

Thought I'd finally say hello after lurking for a while ...so hello.

Im moving house next month and need a good mixing environment at home so I dont have to be at the studio all the time.

I'm unable to do listening tests in the room until I move in, so did some measurements in the hope of planning ahead. Now i've drawn up a plan and after some advice from Bryan @ GIK I kinda know where I'm at a bit more, but wondered if anyone had any further advice on (in particular) dealing with that bloody great chimney chute that runs through the room! Demolishing it is out of the question.

Please see plan below for an overview, the yellow areas are Bass Traps (positioning recommended by Bryan), and the purple ones are cheap pyramid foam, which does do the trick on high frequency reflections in my current room.

Some other annoying factors are that I will be fairly central in the room (not the 38% rule by any stretch), its fairly square, and monitors wont be too far from the wall.

Do any of you have any experience of something like this and/or suggestions for dealing with it? I'm awaiting a reply from GIK, but thought you might have some input too?

Many thanks

Craig

Last edited by ToastLive; 23rd January 2009 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Image was too big
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do any of you have any experience of something like this and/or suggestions for dealing with it? I'm awaiting a reply from GIK, but thought you might have some input too?
Looks like the set up Bryan has given you, so far, is pretty nice. For that chimney thing you could put a few panels on stands around it. If it is not inline of the early reflection points then maybe it is not that big of a deal. Granted it would be nice if it was gone, but it might not be your biggest problem.

Glenn
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…