Studio sketchup - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio sketchup
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Studio sketchup

Hey,

I am in the middle of a project to set up a recording studio in my basement. I took all the measurements and did a model using google sketchup. I have been reading alot on these forums and also in the middle of reading some books on acoustics. since there are so many skilled people on this board I figured why not put it up to get some comments on how the place can be set up. I will consult a professional to help set up the acoustics but I am in a country where If I dont know much about the subject someone will screw something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vocal booth i got from a model already so it is not the real thing just a temporary model.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Studio sketchup-measurments1.jpg   Studio sketchup-measurment2.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

That all looks pretty good. If you could make the control room deeper (front to back) that will help. Without exact dimensions for each room I can't do a modal analysis, but if you have a Windows computer you can do it easily yourself with this:

Graphical Mode Calculator

--Ethan
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's very rare to have the ability to have 8' ceilings in a basement without hvac getting in the way... how did you manage that?

Nice job with sketchup by the way!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
thanks for the responses.. Actually hvac has not been put into the diagram yet but you can see there is about 1' of extra space above the 8' for that to happen just as long as it doesnt come in the way of those big cement blocks on the ceiling. Im thinking the whole dimensions will shrink once I start planning for the acoustic treatment because now its just cement with tiles for the floor so i plan on building a room in the room. Im thinking of having a vent opening from the control room so I dont have to make space for hvac system in the tracking room but then again I dont know how isolated the sound can be if thats the way I do it. I didnt build the basement so I didnt make the decisions for the space but I am happy it is the way it because I think it works for a studio pretty well.

Ethan, sorry the diagram is hard to read but the dimensions of the control room are 17' by 14' 1/2 with a height of 9' 10". i actually dont have windows to try out the diagram. Because this is just the outline, do you think I should try and minimize the 90 degree corners by making a different shape than a rectangle? Also you still think I should try to make the room deeper?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the time you put to answer people on this board.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumXK ➑️
thanks for the responses.. Actually hvac has not been put into the diagram yet but you can see there is about 1' of extra space above the 8' for that to happen just as long as it doesnt come in the way of those big cement blocks on the ceiling. Im thinking the whole dimensions will shrink once I start planning for the acoustic treatment because now its just cement with tiles for the floor so i plan on building a room in the room. Im thinking of having a vent opening from the control room so I dont have to make space for hvac system in the tracking room but then again I dont know how isolated the sound can be if thats the way I do it. I didnt build the basement so I didnt make the decisions for the space but I am happy it is the way it because I think it works for a studio pretty well.

Ethan, sorry the diagram is hard to read but the dimensions of the control room are 17' by 14' 1/2 with a height of 9' 10". i actually dont have windows to try out the diagram. Because this is just the outline, do you think I should try and minimize the 90 degree corners by making a different shape than a rectangle? Also you still think I should try to make the room deeper?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the time you put to answer people on this board.
Oh I get it now. Still, very high ceilings for a basement. I don't know that you "need" to float floors. Depending on How serious you get with the wall and ceiling construction, your floors aren't very likely to be the weak spot transmission wise.

It should be noted that I am in no way qualified to make that statement, I'm just regurgitating things I've heard from spending a lot of time here.

Another thing you may want to look into is soffit mounting your monitors. Depending on whether or not your monitors can be soffit mounted, you'll get better bass response and far less boundary interference.

Good luck!
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Oh I get it now. Still, very high ceilings for a basement. I don't know that you "need" to float floors. Depending on How serious you get with the wall and ceiling construction, your floors aren't very likely to be the weak spot transmission wise.

It should be noted that I am in no way qualified to make that statement, I'm just regurgitating things I've heard from spending a lot of time here.

Another thing you may want to look into is soffit mounting your monitors. Depending on whether or not your monitors can be soffit mounted, you'll get better bass response and far less boundary interference.

Good luck!
hey dykstraster, Im guessing soffit mounting is where the monitors are in the corners inside the wall? I only have near-fields now, but i should plan for the future. So floating floors arnt very necessary for my application? Do you float the floors to increase the isolation from sound coming in and coming out of the room or does floating the floor improve the acoustics of the room.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumXK ➑️
hey dykstraster, Im guessing soffit mounting is where the monitors are in the corners inside the wall? I only have near-fields now, but i should plan for the future. So floating floors arnt very necessary for my application? Do you float the floors to increase the isolation from sound coming in and coming out of the room or does floating the floor improve the acoustics of the room.
Again, I'm just regurgetating here...

floating floors are for isolation, and in most cases, they will hurt the sound of your room. A concrete floor introduces no resonance to your room, buy a floating floor will. Yeah, you get what soffit mounting is all about, but don't disregard near fields as un-mountable.

Best to hear from an expert before you plan on anything I tell you...
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Again, I'm just regurgetating here...

floating floors are for isolation, and in most cases, they will hurt the sound of your room. A concrete floor introduces no resonance to your room, buy a floating floor will. Yeah, you get what soffit mounting is all about, but don't disregard near fields as un-mountable.

Best to hear from an expert before you plan on anything I tell you...
Dykstraster, Thanks alot for your help... ill be working on the plans and will definitely consult someone about the build before...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…