The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shallow diffusers versus slats over panels in small rooms?
Old 14th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shallow diffusers versus slats over panels in small rooms?

Hi guys

What are the advantages/disadvantages of placing wooden slats over absorption versus narrow diffusers in small rooms? I’m thinking of diffusers that have a minimum listening distance of less than 1m.

Ie, would slats over absorptive panels allow you to mic closer to that wall for example than even a narrow diffuser like this would? Would the slats be reflecting more high frequencies and the diffuser more mids? It depends? Perhaps only advantage of slats is that they have the absorption behind them?

This is just a general question of pros and cons and what kind of thing would impact the answer. It’s not a specific question about a particular room. Also when it comes to diffusion, does minimum listening distance refer to where u put the microphone/ears or sound source like an instrument?
Old 14th August 2022
Gear Addict
As far as I know, a diffusers minimum listening distance is how far away from it you should be when listening.
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King ➡️
As far as I know, a diffusers minimum listening distance is how far away from it you should be when listening.
Yeah I think that’s true but what about mics? Should the guitar be the same minimum distance from diffuser and/or the mic?
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 ➡️
Yeah I think that’s true but what about mics? Should the guitar be the same minimum distance from diffuser and/or the mic?
Sorry, you are asking about production. If it sounds good it is good.
Old 15th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➡️
Sorry, you are asking about production. If it sounds good it is good.
I’m not asking about production. I’m simply asking when people say the ‘minimum distance from diffuser’ is…. are they referring to an instrument proximity to diffuser or a mic proximity? Obviously they are mainly referring to ear position while mixing.

A producer can record something in a garbage can or inside a diffuser for that matter and it might be perfect. That’s a creative decision. I’m not asking about that. I’m asking in ‘ theory’ what does this minimum distance refer to. That’s a valid question.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I’m not asking about production. I’m simply asking when people say the ‘minimum distance from diffuser’ is…. are they referring to an instrument proximity to diffuser or a mic proximity? Obviously they are mainly referring to ear position while mixing.

A producer can record something in a garbage can or inside a diffuser for that matter and it might be perfect. That’s a creative decision. I’m not asking about that. I’m asking in ‘ theory’ what does this minimum distance refer to. That’s a valid question.
You answered it. It refers to the position of.the ear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You answered it. It refers to the position of.the ear.
Really? So are you saying that sitting too close to a diffuser while mixing can be problematic but singing right next to one with a mic in close proximity is no problem? Surely, if the diffuser causes potential phase coloration or unwanted reflections with an ear sitting too close while mixing, it will do the same for a mic? Am I missing something? Not withstanding creative choices, I always believed that tracking too close to diffusers carried all the same coloration and baggage as mixing too near them. I have never tried it though. I assumed it would be at best like tracking next to bare wall which carries lots of baggage.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Really? So are you saying that sitting too close to a diffuser while mixing can be problematic but singing right next to one with a mic in close proximity is no problem? Surely, if the diffuser causes potential phase coloration or unwanted reflections with an ear sitting too close while mixing, it will do the same for a mic? Am I missing something? Not withstanding creative choices, I always believed that tracking too close to diffusers carried all the same coloration and baggage as mixing too near them. I have never tried it though. I assumed it would be at best like tracking next to bare wall which carries lots of baggage.
I’ll try another way. The 3:1 is for monitoring/
mixing, like monitor speakers. The ignoring the 3:1 is for music production, like guitar amps and bass amps..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’ll try another way. The 3:1 is for monitoring/
mixing, like monitor speakers. The ignoring the 3:1 is for music production, like guitar amps and bass amps..
Ok cool. Perhaps ignoring more for guitar amps etc though than a string quartet or singer though might u say? (Again not withstanding creative choices)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ok cool. Perhaps ignoring more for guitar amps etc though than a string quartet or singer though might u say? (Again not withstanding creative choices)
Going for naturalness I would a form of Burroughs 3:1. You know, overhalf a century old. Beyond that study Forrest’s time vs level effect drawing for guidance.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Going for naturalness I would a form of Burroughs 3:1. You know, overhalf a century old. Beyond that study Forrest’s time vs level effect drawing for guidance.
I’m sorry you have lost me. I have no idea what that means. I’m certain it’s my failing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I’m sorry you have lost me. I have no idea what that means. I’m certain it’s my failing.
With equal omni sources have at least a 10 dB reduction in secondary sounds. From Burroughs microphone book.
Old 16th August 2022
Gear Addict
If you are recording acoustic tracks (singing, for example) the distance to the diffuser will have little or no effect on the sound reaching a mic. If it does, practice a little due diligence, and reposition the mic. It will have no effect of what you hear in your tracking headphones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Diffuser use in a small room

Hi guys,

My room is 11'X11.5'. The ceiling is vaulted, 4.5' at the front wall and 11' at the rear wall. The left wall is open, looking down at my living room below.

I'm interested in putting a diffuser which has 5 different lengths of wood coming from it. It will be 72"X36" on the wall behind the couch.

I'm wondering how long or short the lengths of wood should be? Right now my ears are 1 foot from the back wall. The front of my speakers are 40" from the front wall. My ears are about 95" from the front of the speakers. There is carpeting on the floor.

I'm running NAT Audio 805 Generator mono blocks, NAT Audio Symmetrical Line Stage and Magico A3 speakers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Vuch; 3 weeks ago at 01:50 AM.. Reason: sentence structure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it is better to start your own thread for the topic.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…