Quantcast
Basic measuring/tuning for home vo recording? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Basic measuring/tuning for home vo recording?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Basic measuring/tuning for home vo recording?

Thanks to you all I have quite a nicely treated small home room (2.5m w x 2.8m deep x 2.4 m high) for listening, some music-making/mixing etc plus I do a fair bit of vo recording.

I have a couple of super-chunk style corners, 5cm 40kg cloud and panels at first and second reflection points plus much bigger coverage across the back wall, and 10cm 80kg panels across ceiling/wall and floor/wall corners.

I also have a few spare panels of both densities and kind of ghetto together a very open kind of gobo/booth area for voice recording. I get some pretty good results but I have a couple of long-form projects coming up and a Dayton EMM mic I got ages ago and I'm wondering if there's a way to use the Dayton plus REW etc to actually measure/optimise my mic placement, go-booth shape etc. Would I do the trial/error the usual sweep from my monitors? Sorry for the basic questions but I have these tools and I'd like to try make the most of them. If a simple diagram would be more helpful I can certainly sketch one up.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The sticky posts at the top of this forum on measuring your room would be a great place to start.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King ➡️
The sticky posts at the top of this forum on measuring your room would be a great place to start.
Fair comment and I was thinking my question maybe needed re phrasing ie Will setting up a measurement mic at my VO mic position to record an impulse coming from my speakers across a room/gobos etc give me any kind of useful information?
Stickies etc seem to be focused on a mix position or listening area. I know the mic is essentially listening but can measuring the response in my gobo-booth show me anything useful?

Cheers
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez ➡️
Fair comment and I was thinking my question maybe needed re phrasing ie Will setting up a measurement mic at my VO mic position to record an impulse coming from my speakers across a room/gobos etc give me any kind of useful information?
Stickies etc seem to be focused on a mix position or listening area. I know the mic is essentially listening but can measuring the response in my gobo-booth show me anything useful?

Cheers
Testing with an actual recording, will reveal more subjective things about how your voice interacts with the gear and room, and test measurements will reveal specific technical information.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
Testing with an actual recording, will reveal more subjective things about how your voice interacts with the gear and room, and test measurements will reveal specific technical information.
Thanks Kyle - 'testing with a recording', do you mean just record as normal, listen, and make subjective judgments based on that or actually play a voice recording from my monitors instead of a sweep? Sorry, I'm kinda lost on your advice.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

A "semi-scientific" method could be to bring your mic and interface to a quiet wind-free area outside and record speaking, then do the same in your space and note some differences in the spectral analyzer.

Of course there will still be the ground reflection... you can stand on a friend's shoulders.

This may be useful on top of/to corroborate and interpret the results of your REW measurement.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez ➡️
Thanks Kyle - 'testing with a recording', do you mean just record as normal, listen, and make subjective judgments based on that or actually play a voice recording from my monitors instead of a sweep? Sorry, I'm kinda lost on your advice.
I mean record a voice in various parts of the room, including where you think will be best.

This way you can have a practical example of what your room is doing to recordings in situ.

The REW will give you objective. Between the two you will have a good idea of what’s going on in the room.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
I mean record a voice in various parts of the room, including where you think will be best.

This way you can have a practical example of what your room is doing to recordings in situ.

The REW will give you objective. Between the two you will have a good idea of what’s going on in the room.
Got it, thanks Kyle.....think I have a big chunk of tomorrow freshly occupied!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…