Quantcast
Help me build my studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me build my studio
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Help me build my studio

Hello music friends

I finally made it to buy a small house with a basement room for my studio (24.4 m2) (L= 5.53 m, W=4.41 m, H=2.21 m) The back of the studio has a window which would be great to keep for light. To have my own studio is my dream since I was a kid. I am a hobby guitarist, singer, songwriter, music producer, mixer, DJ and recorder. So I basically just love everything about music. Don't forget I also have to be able to support a family so I cannot go insane with my investments.

I would like to tell you my plans and see what solutions we come up with. As I read thousands of posts on here the last couple of years I already learned a lot about the wall structures with the 2 wall system etc. although I never dug deep in the calculations yet. I would like to get help on this specific room but I am glad for any help I can get. I will add a plan of the basement to this post.

First off, the house is a double house, meaning one wall is almost connected to the neighbours’ wall with just a small air gap in-between. On top of the basement is my living room. That means the sound should stay in the studio if possible. Maybe small sound leakage up to 40 dB would be a good amount of reduction. So if a drummer hits 110 dB I would need 70 dB noise reduction.

I would like to use this room as a recording studio for bands and a producing / music / mixing / mastering room all in the classic hobby studio style. My goal is to get the most out of this room. I can spend money if the benefits are worth the investment. I want to be able to record / mix / master an album with reasonable results. This means that the music recorded can be enjoyed by a lot of people without everyone noticing that the recordings were made in a hobby studio. Obviously trained ears and professionals will notice. I don’t want to polish a turd. It all has to be realistic and worth the effort. Otherwise I can rent a professional studio for bigger projects.

To make you be able to relate to my level of recording so we can stay in my ballpark I will name my gear. This may show you where my area of investment is at. So no audiophile stuff, just tools of the trade. I might upgrade this a bit over time if the Investment is worth it for my needs. The question is where the money best is invested. Room treatment or gear. I try to have a nice balance.

Desk:
Sessiondesk Trapez 60

Speakers:
2x Auratones 5C from 1980 (with Alesis RA150 Amp)
2x Yamaha HS80M (I have Sonarworks)
2x Genelec 8240 APM with GLM

Headphones:
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 80 Ohm
Sony MDR 7506
Sennheiser HD25 70 Ohm

Microphones:
• Shure PGA Drum Kit 7 Pieces
• Shure SM7B
• Shure SM57
• Shure SM58
• Blue Micorphone

Studiogear: (Hybrid Studio Build)
• DAW: Ableton Live 11
• PC: Windows 10 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor 3.90 GHz, 64 GB Ram, 1 TB SSD
• Plugins: tons, no need to name them all
• DAC - ADC for Analog Gear: Prism Orpheus
• ADC for Synths: Steinberg MR816 CSX
• RME HDSPe RayDAT with Wordclock for steady drivers and up to 32 channels over ADAT
• Dangerous D-Box for 8 channel analog summing and speakers with talkback microphone
• Furman and Samson power conditioners
• Drawmer Dual Auto Compressors DL241
• TL Audio C-5021 Valve Compressor
• SSL Fusion
• TK Audio BC-2ME Mastering Glue Compressor
• Höf Audio Analog Limiter / Expander
• SSL UF8 Digital Mixer
• Neutrik Patchbays
• Di-Box with four connections
• Soundcraft UI 24R (for live mixing)

Synthesizers:
• Access Virus TI 1
• Nord Rack 2X
• MAM MB11 Analog Bass Synth

Guitars
• Fender Stratocaster 1988
• Garrison Western Concert Guitar
• Epiphone Les Paul

Drums:
• I might get something basic drum kit
• maybe electric drums if I have no choice

Questions
• Is it possible to make 2 rooms in such a small room so I can record a drummer / band without braking my ears?

• Should I make just one room and use ear plugs while recording?

• Drum shield out of Plexiglas?

• What are your suggestions?

• Wise words from your experiences

Best Regards
Joel aka AudioMadness

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8johs2n9zf...c%201.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owdjv2d4dt...c%202.png?dl=0
Old 1 week ago
Welcome to Gearspace!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioMadness ➡️
Hello music friends

I finally made it to buy a small house with a basement room for my studio (24.4 m2) (L= 5.53 m, W=4.41 m, H=2.21 m) The back of the studio has a window which would be great to keep for light. To have my own studio is my dream since I was a kid. I am a hobby guitarist, singer, songwriter, music producer, mixer, DJ and recorder. So I basically just love everything about music. Don't forget I also have to be able to support a family so I cannot go insane with my investments.

I would like to tell you my plans and see what solutions we come up with. As I read thousands of posts on here the last couple of years I already learned a lot about the wall structures with the 2 wall system etc. although I never dug deep in the calculations yet. I would like to get help on this specific room but I am glad for any help I can get. I will add a plan of the basement to this post.

First off, the house is a double house, meaning one wall is almost connected to the neighbours’ wall with just a small air gap in-between. On top of the basement is my living room. That means the sound should stay in the studio if possible. Maybe small sound leakage up to 40 dB would be a good amount of reduction. So if a drummer hits 110 dB I would need 70 dB noise reduction.

I would like to use this room as a recording studio for bands and a producing / music / mixing / mastering room all in the classic hobby studio style. My goal is to get the most out of this room. I can spend money if the benefits are worth the investment. I want to be able to record / mix / master an album with reasonable results. This means that the music recorded can be enjoyed by a lot of people without everyone noticing that the recordings were made in a hobby studio. Obviously trained ears and professionals will notice. I don’t want to polish a turd. It all has to be realistic and worth the effort. Otherwise I can rent a professional studio for bigger projects.

To make you be able to relate to my level of recording so we can stay in my ballpark I will name my gear. This may show you where my area of investment is at. So no audiophile stuff, just tools of the trade. I might upgrade this a bit over time if the Investment is worth it for my needs. The question is where the money best is invested. Room treatment or gear. I try to have a nice balance.

Desk:
Sessiondesk Trapez 60

Speakers:
2x Auratones 5C from 1980 (with Alesis RA150 Amp)
2x Yamaha HS80M (I have Sonarworks)
2x Genelec 8240 APM with GLM

Headphones:
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 80 Ohm
Sony MDR 7506
Sennheiser HD25 70 Ohm

Microphones:
• Shure PGA Drum Kit 7 Pieces
• Shure SM7B
• Shure SM57
• Shure SM58
• Blue Micorphone

Studiogear: (Hybrid Studio Build)
• DAW: Ableton Live 11
• PC: Windows 10 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor 3.90 GHz, 64 GB Ram, 1 TB SSD
• Plugins: tons, no need to name them all
• DAC - ADC for Analog Gear: Prism Orpheus
• ADC for Synths: Steinberg MR816 CSX
• RME HDSPe RayDAT with Wordclock for steady drivers and up to 32 channels over ADAT
• Dangerous D-Box for 8 channel analog summing and speakers with talkback microphone
• Furman and Samson power conditioners
• Drawmer Dual Auto Compressors DL241
• TL Audio C-5021 Valve Compressor
• SSL Fusion
• TK Audio BC-2ME Mastering Glue Compressor
• Höf Audio Analog Limiter / Expander
• SSL UF8 Digital Mixer
• Neutrik Patchbays
• Di-Box with four connections
• Soundcraft UI 24R (for live mixing)

Synthesizers:
• Access Virus TI 1
• Nord Rack 2X
• MAM MB11 Analog Bass Synth

Guitars
• Fender Stratocaster 1988
• Garrison Western Concert Guitar
• Epiphone Les Paul

Drums:
• I might get something basic drum kit
• maybe electric drums if I have no choice

Questions
• Is it possible to make 2 rooms in such a small room so I can record a drummer / band without braking my ears?

• Should I make just one room and use ear plugs while recording?

• Drum shield out of Plexiglas?

• What are your suggestions?

• Wise words from your experiences

Best Regards
Joel aka AudioMadness

Its not possible to make 2 good sounding rooms in that space. Each room would be less than half the size of the single space due to walls and treatments. Plus its more expensive.

Earplugs and/or electronic drums. @ Starlight linked some drumheads that are quite a bit less loud than standard drum heads. That plus some midi triggers and or drum sample augmentation.

You could setup a little screen and qwerty keyboard and headphones or monitors outside the rooms door so your not getting killed with spl, and can manage takes from there.

Drum shields are meh, make some gobos if you need to.

---

Main suggestion is Rods book, build it like the pro's. And lots and lots of 5/8 drywall. Id plan on an independently framed ceiling so you can maximize the drywall.

Don't forget your HVAC.

With current tech, smart studio design, and some decebt engineering, you should be able to get decent quality recordings.

My concern would be making the place comfortable. Acoustic Drums take up alot of floor space.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
Its not possible to make 2 good sounding rooms in that space. Each room would be less than half the size of the single space due to walls and treatments. Plus its more expensive.

Earplugs and/or electronic drums. @ Starlight linked some drumheads that are quite a bit less loud than standard drum heads. That plus some midi triggers and or drum sample augmentation.

You could setup a little screen and qwerty keyboard and headphones or monitors outside the rooms door so your not getting killed with spl, and can manage takes from there.

Drum shields are meh, make some gobos if you need to.

---

Main suggestion is Rods book, build it like the pro's. And lots and lots of 5/8 drywall. Id plan on an independently framed ceiling so you can maximize the drywall.

Don't forget your HVAC.

With current tech, smart studio design, and some decebt engineering, you should be able to get decent quality recordings.

My concern would be making the place comfortable. Acoustic Drums take up alot of floor space.
Thank you for the quick response

I think I will go with one room as you stated, the size isn't big enough to make two and I will do the walls and ceiling with the two-layer system.

Im still thinking about the drums. I will see if I can fit them in a corner.

If I can keep the window in the back HVAC will be easy to solve. I also have a demoisterizer in my current basement to make shure I don't get any mold. I keep the moisture under 65%.

Any suggestions how I can best build the studio as a one room solution?

I will read the book you stated as I have some time during my vaccation to do so.

Thanks again!

Last edited by AudioMadness; 1 week ago at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
Welcome to Gearspace!
Thank you 😊
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
new dropbox-links with studio plans

Hey Erveryone

I added new links with the studio plans:

I would love to hear some suggestions of how I best make use of the space

best regards
Joel
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioMadness ➡️
Hey Erveryone

I added new links with the studio plans:

I would love to hear some suggestions of how I best make use of the space

best regards
Joel
Those stairways might make useful reverb chambers.

Its mostly just layout and ergonomics. You would probably be best suited to have the speakers up close to the wall. It will maximize space.

Its really hard to give general advice. If you can do a ceiling that rests on the inner walls, so you have plenty of load bearing in case you need to add more drywall.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it looks like the room is entirely surrounded with steel reinforced concrete. this is generally a good thing for an exterior mass layer. however, you need to run some tests since any structural bridging to your neighbors will short circuit a lot of the benefits from the concrete walls and ceiling. so, best bet - do some testing: loud PA in the basement running 110db mostly low freq - drums and bass is good - and measure the sound isolation as it is. a couple of sheets of plywood over the door openings (if no doors) to "seal" it a bit. then, if its an option, ask the neighbor if its ok to measure inside their home, and ideally using a mechanic stethoscope or equiv to listen to the walls etc there to determine how much transfer is happening.

another limitation will be your ceiling height - as Kyle noted, a decoupled ceiling will be beneficial in getting the isolation desired.

realistically, for isolation, a typical residential building can achieve about 50db before the structural transfer becomes the main source of sound outside the space. so decoupling and attenuation in the room will be a key aspect. isolation platforms for drums and instruments will reduce direct transfer into the floor, gobos for in-room absorption, as well as treatment to absorb as much as possible before the room boundaries will help.

finally (but first), HVAC - heat, cooling, filtering, oxygen plus efficiency of same - when occupied, the room must be running 100% to exchange the air at the very least. split units, in home dehumidification etc aren't going to delivery fresh air into / out of a hyper insulated sealed room. plan on that early and often. also, if you need maintenance access to anything traversing your room, plan on how that will be accomplished (hidden in a utility closet? access panels? etc).
📝 Reply