Quantcast
How I am building my Studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How I am building my Studio
Old 13th July 2021
How I am building my Studio

I have built a room within a room in my house. 10' tall, 13' wide and 19' long. I will go into the room construction later in this thread but wanted to show off my soffit bass traps.

These were pretty easy to build. I used 1x2 and some fabric and Johns Manville R30. I used some pvc chicken mesh to contain the R30 . Here are some pictures.

No do not ask me the room measurements yet. All I can say with the hardwood floor it is one big splashy room. Once these went up, it is live still, but the low freq. room resonance is all but gone. I built these 18" square and 8' long. As you can see the towers are not done yet but will be stacked with R30 as well and covered with the same fabric. They will go in the back corners. Front Corners will be larger triangle SSC.
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210516_163122.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210516_163143.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210616_200656.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210710_223933.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210710_224001.jpg  

How I am building my Studio-20210618_234450.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210706_204444.jpg  
Old 26th July 2021
Here are some more pics
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210713_205343.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210719_074213.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210719_074228.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210719_074253.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210719_074307.jpg  

How I am building my Studio-20210719_074319.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210719_234555.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210721_213132.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210516_163302.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210516_163326.jpg  

Old 4th August 2021
Here are some more pictures. The shelves inside are not really shelves but are pvc "chicken wire" to keep the weight of the insulation from crushing.
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210731_162916.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210801_171810.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210710_223933.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210719_074307.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210802_182614.jpg  

Old 6th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very well done. Looks great!
Old 6th August 2021
Front Corners and Ceiling Cloud about to be loaded
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210806_071356.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210806_071340.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210806_071419.jpg  
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey ➑️
Very well done. Looks great!
Thanks Mike
Old 9th August 2021
Here is another....

All the wood came from the various pallets from materials delivered to my house. I still have 2 more pallets to disassemble and about 7 more already torn apart that I will use in the vocal booth.
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210807_174852.jpg  
Old 11th August 2021
The sides are not really diffusers in the scientific way but more of to break up the sonic superballs bouncing back and forth. Next to them will be some Tube Traps and 703's. Expense wise, the double wall studs and 2x sheetrock was about 1400. The hickory floor was 2100. Framing for the soffits was 150, the Johns Manville R-30 for the soffits was 250, the 703 for the SSC was 350. The cloth was 445 from GIK Acoustics. Cedar trim has skyrocketed lately.....it was 435. The rest of the wood was pallets and scraps leftover from the build of the house. I put two big trash bins in the garage and every night I would go by the house build and pick up all the bits and pieces and and put them in the bins. At one point, I dumped them in the drive way and let the elements weather them for a few weeks. Although I lost one batch, due to over zealous gofer on a subcontracting crew who swept them up and put them in the dumpster on site. LOL. Almost made him dumpster dive for them back, but my builder promised me he would fill a can full from another site. Anyhow, I just started my table saw and miter saw and began edging and trimming. I am going to to do the same for the vocal room as well. I realize its not a real diffuser and its not designed to be a true diffuser but more for look and it does scatter some reflections. The vocal room already has one slanted wall and polys on the ceiling. I think combining the 703 on the opposite wall and these home made uneven wall will remove the standing waves. I will need a bass trap or two since its such a small room 11.5' long, 10' high and 8' wide. yes some resonance going on there. I will get to that when I am done with the control room. The wife is tired of all the guitars and keyboards in the extra bedroom, not to mention 6 sets of speakers in the garage..
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210810_213008.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
latest pic with the cloud up and side panels up
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210829_221543.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210829_195204.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can't figure out why no one else has commented in this thread.

What's your plan for lighting under the cloud?

The room looks like it's lit adequately overall, but I think it's going to be distinctly darker under the cloud. Maybe it's just a wait and see situation.
Old 3 weeks ago
I think its because its under the panels thread line instead of the main acoustics thread. No one pokes their head in here!

Yes, my initial design had lights in the cloud but I removed them to simplify the making of it. I may regret not having enough light, but nowadays its all on screen and no real mixing board so I may not need as much light. All the lights are dimmable. If I need more light I can add them to the surface of the cloud via track lighting.

next to the side panels of cloth covered 703 are going to be some alternating 1/2 round Tubetraps and more pallet boards. the back wall will have some of Arqen's diffusers as soon as I can get my table saw fixed. Now that everything is on the ceiling, I took out all the ladders and starting bringing the boxes of gear and guitars. My wife was has been bugging me to get all my guitars (7) out of the bedroom. I will hang them somewhere...With treatment up, it kind of takes away hanging wall space.

I need some rockwool for the vocal booth, but its back ordered everywhere unless you want to pay more to ship it to you than what it costs!

Thanks Mike for the gander
Old 3 weeks ago
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks real good man. You definitely have an eye for the aesthetics in that you want it to both look nice as well as perform. Not always an easy task. But you are doing great it appears. You might want lighting in the cloud, but then again may not need it if you are not trying to read small print on a mixer for example.

I built 9 lights into my cloud, but it is pretty large. I usually keep the front 3 off when in "mixing/hanging out" mode. I used the Philips Hue bulbs and it is fantastic with the dimming and color adjustability.

Look forward to seeing the room completed. Impressed so far.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdflr ➑️
I think its because its under the panels thread line instead of the main acoustics thread. No one pokes their head in here!

Yes, my initial design had lights in the cloud but I removed them to simplify the making of it. I may regret not having enough light, but nowadays its all on screen and no real mixing board so I may not need as much light. All the lights are dimmable. If I need more light I can add them to the surface of the cloud via track lighting.

next to the side panels of cloth covered 703 are going to be some alternating 1/2 round Tubetraps and more pallet boards. the back wall will have some of Arqen's diffusers as soon as I can get my table saw fixed. Now that everything is on the ceiling, I took out all the ladders and starting bringing the boxes of gear and guitars. My wife was has been bugging me to get all my guitars (7) out of the bedroom. I will hang them somewhere...With treatment up, it kind of takes away hanging wall space.

I need some rockwool for the vocal booth, but its back ordered everywhere unless you want to pay more to ship it to you than what it costs!

Thanks Mike for the gander
I think it's a good idea not to build lights into the cloud.

I don't have any ideas for what to do from there.

Currently my cloud covers my entire ceiling and I have on single LED light reflecting off of it to light the room. The way I went about it is odd, but I do think having a light or white colored cloud to bounce off of is a good way to light the room. There's still an issue of how to do that though and you've already got the rest lit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS ➑️
Looks real good man. You definitely have an eye for the aesthetics in that you want it to both look nice as well as perform. Not always an easy task. But you are doing great it appears. You might want lighting in the cloud, but then again may not need it if you are not trying to read small print on a mixer for example.

I built 9 lights into my cloud, but it is pretty large. I usually keep the front 3 off when in "mixing/hanging out" mode. I used the Philips Hue bulbs and it is fantastic with the dimming and color adjustability.

Look forward to seeing the room completed. Impressed so far.
Thanks, all of the lights are dimmable and on dimmers. there is a LED strip light on top of the cloud, but since I painted the ceiling black there really is not enough radiant splash with it. You may be right in needing some over the console. I will see. Next up is the desk. I am going to try and re-stain it black. If that doesn't work I may just make a new one. I am pretty handy at woodworking. I have a shop on the other side of the studio, table saw, miter saw, router table, drill press, planer, sander, etc....So I can build most things myself. Thanks for the compliment. This is MY 4th build and most likely my last. I have helped build probably 10 studios in my life, so I learn from each one, but this is my personal 4th. My wife built a pool and patio to be on some magazine cover, so I am going to say this is my last house to die in. lol We have spent a year building the place. I am running out of energy. But I am nearing the curve to pump the speakers again.
Old 3 weeks ago
I guess the older I get, the harder it will be to see the print will tell my mistake! I tore apart some pallets last night that I have been collecting to put up and racked the server and amp rack. I bought one of those Data Center computer rack cabinets at an auction for 10 bucks. Its about 7 ft tall. You can find steals at GovDeals.com. I bought a bunch of laptop charging carts for my last shop and a lunch room table from some school auction. I mounted the long table top on top of carts to make a long workbench, chopping station, etc... with drawers, electric and on casters for less than 40 bucks total. I threw away all the extra hardware. I got money, but why waste it when a little creativity will save to buy another tool or guitar right?
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess the older I get, the harder it will be to see the print will tell my mistake! I tore apart some pallets last night that I have been collecting to put up and racked the server and amp rack. I bought one of those Data Center computer rack cabinets at an auction for 10 bucks. Its about 7 ft tall. You can find steals at GovDeals.com. I bought a bunch of laptop charging carts for my last shop and a lunch room table from some school auction. I mounted the long table top on top of carts to make a long workbench, chopping station, etc... with drawers, electric and on casters for less than 40 bucks total. I threw away all the extra hardware. I got money, but why waste it when a little creativity will save to buy another tool or guitar right?
I love the way you think. It's called wisdom. Usually (not always as we know) comes with age and experience. And yes, the older eyes (I am 56 now) do appreciate a bit of light at certain times to assist in seeing smaller details...
Old 3 weeks ago
Does anyone know how to get a thread moved to another thread group?
Old 2 weeks ago
And here is desk I made over the weekend. Kind of hard to tell, but it turned out nice.
Attached Thumbnails
How I am building my Studio-20210906_180602.jpg   How I am building my Studio-20210906_180834.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Well, I am happy to report room within a room is the way to go. I finally got some air through the Tannoys and I put some GIANT through them. I started off the Thunder and Lightning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ofKZTJ5m0. Dann was a friend in College...but I digress.....

I cranked it up to about 110 on my Crown DC 300 and shut all the doors and went outside the window.......a low sound emitting. I walked to the edged of the property....about 35 ft.....nothing.

Now the real test.....I went back inside to the living room asked my wife if she heard it. She said hear what? SO i got her up walked her over to the other side of the house, by the back hallway, one hears a soft music playing. Opening the vocal booth door same thing. ( I have not put door stops, seals on the doors or even door closers on). Opening the sound lock sounded like radio in the next room, opening the final door and I smiled, Giant head banging rock and 110db and my wife screaming, "TURN IT DOWN, ITS TOO LOUD!!!!"

Granted none of this is scientific numbers, but if she can watch TV in the Living room and hear nothing, mission accomplished on the sound transmission loss.

Room within a room with double layer of TYPE X drywall, Rockwool in the walls and NO Green glue, it works I used BIG STRETCH on the seams. I am happy. Now I got to finish the treatment on the walls. It seems the traps in the soffits worked as the bass build up is GONE. I almost wonder if it was too much. I may need a sub.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, I am happy to report room within a room is the way to go. I finally got some air through the Tannoys and I put some GIANT through them. I started off the Thunder and Lightning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ofKZTJ5m0. Dann was a friend in College...but I digress.....

I cranked it up to about 110 on my Crown DC 300 and shut all the doors and went outside the window.......a low sound emitting. I walked to the edged of the property....about 35 ft.....nothing.

Now the real test.....I went back inside to the living room asked my wife if she heard it. She said hear what? SO i got her up walked her over to the other side of the house, by the back hallway, one hears a soft music playing. Opening the vocal booth door same thing. ( I have not put door stops, seals on the doors or even door closers on). Opening the sound lock sounded like radio in the next room, opening the final door and I smiled, Giant head banging rock and 110db and my wife screaming, "TURN IT DOWN, ITS TOO LOUD!!!!"

Granted none of this is scientific numbers, but if she can watch TV in the Living room and hear nothing, mission accomplished on the sound transmission loss.

Room within a room with double layer of TYPE X drywall, Rockwool in the walls and NO Green glue, it works I used BIG STRETCH on the seams. I am happy. Now I got to finish the treatment on the walls. It seems the traps in the soffits worked as the bass build up is GONE. I almost wonder if it was too much. I may need a sub.
Congrats!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Now I got to finish the treatment on the walls. It seems the traps in the soffits worked as the bass build up is GONE. I almost wonder if it was too much. I may need a sub.
It wasn't. If there's not enough bass, you probably need more absorption.

Once you start shooting the room, I'm sure you'll get all sorts of opinions here.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey ➑️
It wasn't. If there's not enough bass, you probably need more absorption.

Once you start shooting the room, I'm sure you'll get all sorts of opinions here.
Yes, more absorption - more bass...Or more example less energy to the bass reflections to cause huge peaks and dips.
Typically in a room that only has some their absorbers in corner there will be problems with Sbir related to: Front wall behind speakers(but that will be almost up in low mid range), front sidewalls, front ceiling and center of back wall.
Also floor, sometimes it might be blocked by the desk to some degree, the desk can also be a source for sbir.
The closer the boundary the higher the frequency.
http://tripp.com.au/sbir.htm
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looks NICE!
Be interesting to see what kind of comb filtering you get with the wings on the front of your desk.
πŸ“ Reply