The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GIK 244 vs Monster Bass Traps
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

GIK 244 vs Monster Bass Traps

Hello, I'm buying some bass traps for my home studio mainly for recording vocals aswell as some mixing. It's a pretty square-ish room, 12ftx11ft.

Looking at the GIK Solutions, I'll be grabbing:
- 8 x Tri traps for corners (stacked)
- 3 x Bass traps on each wall (starting first reflection point and so forth; 9 x total)
- 4x Bass traps on ceiling

(attached image, pretty simple)

I record from my desk, so I sit roughly centered in my room and record using a desk boom arm.

I'm curious if I should go for the Monster Bass traps or just the standard 244's. Is there such thing as over-doing it with bass traps, or is more absorption better in a small-ish room?

My main concern is recording vocals, and I'm almost trying to make it one giant isolated booth.

Budget is no issue, I'll spend more if it's an improvement.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
GIK 244 vs Monster Bass Traps-trap-placements.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
These panels will not give you more isolation, their purpose is to "tune" the room so it sounds better/more accurate inside the room. They will not "soundproof" the room.

In a small room the more bass trappping, the better. You cannot overdo the bass trapping. You can overdo the mid/high absorbsion however, so you may want to look into the acessories that reflect some mids and highs back into the room if you feel its getting too "dead".
📝 Reply