The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugging/Covering Up a Door Frame
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Plugging/Covering Up a Door Frame

I want to try to completely cover up this door/frame that leads to a hallways, where they are other studios. Need to cut down the bleed.

I have other doors in my studio, so there is no fire hazard, and is approved by my landlord.

Should I just adder layers of drywall on both sides? Some insulation in the empty space?

Should I seal it with expanding foam?

Or should I by a sound proof window cover and hang it over the door frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Plugging/Covering Up a Door Frame-img_5364-jpega.jpg   Plugging/Covering Up a Door Frame-img_5365-jpega.jpg   Plugging/Covering Up a Door Frame-img_5366-jpega.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Id either mimic the wall construction to cover the opening, or use layers of OSB. Id go OSB instead of drywall on the outer layer to stand up do dings better. Drywall is fine where that not an issue.

Use backer rod and butyl, 100% silicone, or big stretch (brand) caulking and backer rod to seal up air gaps. Assuming the room has hvac.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
For the new “wall” over the door, Would it make sense to go for as wide of coverage as possible? Wider than the frame is. Would that increase transmission loss? Of course would have to build more framing on the outside, then seal that.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac660 ➡️
For the new “wall” over the door, Would it make sense to go for as wide of coverage as possible? Wider than the frame is. Would that increase transmission loss? Of course would have to build more framing on the outside, then seal that.
Unless you can remove the drywall on one side of the walls, and make a true decoupled wall (double wall, or isolation clips/channel) then your best bet is to just "fill in" the opening, as if it were never there. At that point if it makes sense to add more mass to the entire wall, go for it. But guessing by the pictures, it probably wont be worth it.

Its tough to say much more than that based on the info you supplied so far.

Isolation is pretty much all or nothing. So if you can't do all the walls and ceiling and floor to be equally good, then don't do anything beyond the bare minimum to make the thing look acceptable.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…