The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best solution for a small space in Rome
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Best solution for a small space in Rome

Hi guys I just rented down here in Rome a small room in a co-working space.
I do sound design and music production and I've been working here a few weeks.

I definitely feel i could do some improvement to the absorption of the walls.
the room sounds boxy on the 200-400 hz range.
I wanted to do a small investment to make some panels since I cant really change the room since it not my own building!
smthg that I can take away once I leave the room.

The ceiling is wood.

Anyone here can suggest a good project for doing some panels that I could hang on the wall? or some affordable solution?

I also recorded a small sweep sound to hear the response of the roomm and I'm attaching a pdf with the size of the room (that has no windows)

THanxxx

The italian guy
Attached Thumbnails
Best solution for a small space in Rome-photo-29-03-21-14.20.jpg   Best solution for a small space in Rome-photo-29-03-21-14.20-3.jpg   Best solution for a small space in Rome-photo-29-03-21-14.20-4.jpg   Best solution for a small space in Rome-photo-07-04-21-11.14-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sala audio fb.pdf (44.7 KB, 8 views)

Test Stanza.mp3 (6.06 MB, 151 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Hi Intiman,

Suggest you measure with e.g. REW so you can 'see' how your room behaves. The room being almost square and small I would expect some issues. Treating would be possible, but be prepared to cover a lot of wall and ceiling space to achieve some descent results. What do you want to achieve?

Ditch the foam and make some DIY panels, wooden frame, rockwool inside, expect to go up to 30cm depth if you want to have impact on the <100 Hz range.
The type of rockwool/fiberglass depends largely on the gas flow resistivity, use some calculators to detect the sweet spots: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php. A generic rule is, the thicker the fluffier the material :o).

The room sounds probably boxy as you mention, I suspect the <200Hz range will also be too much present though. (What are the walls made of?).

DIY panels of 100cmx60cm or 120cmx60cm are common, you can stack them so they are portable enough to move and steady enough to stand on their own. You'll need those in corners, back wall (entirely) and early reflection points, including ceiling.

You would need about 18 of them in total, quickly calculated out of my head. 2 to straddle each corner, 2 ER left, 2 ER right, 2 ER ceiling and 4 on the back wall. The corner ones alternatively can be made as superchunks, triangle wooden frame filled with triangle rockwool layers.

If budget doesn't allow, the only good option would be headphones :o)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
O wow, I'm all for that, thanks s much Tom!!

I found this project from another thread, what do you think?
https://www.jochenschulz.me/en/blog/...band-absorbers

I was also a tiny little bit concerned about using rockwools since the room has no air flowing and no windows..what do you think?
Not far from home I have this distributore that has many different absorbing materials, can you see anything that would fit from this page?
http://ndaitalia.it/fonoassorbenti-ndaitalia.php

Thanks brother grazie mille for your interest
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Hi Intiman,

The thread you reference seems valid, good example of DIY. Though calculate the thickness and get the flow resistivity numbers of material available to you to understand which frequencies will (not) be absorbed.

You reference also foam products of your local store, I would advice against it. Foam works down to 500Hz (rather nicely) and if you're lucky down to 250Hz (but limited). Go for rockwool or fiberglass, with above remark in mind.

You don't need to ventilate because of the rockwool, you need to ventilate because of the gear and human heat that is produced. It makes no difference with or without rockwool. Why are you asking this?

Tom
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSleebus โžก๏ธ
Hi Intiman,

The thread you reference seems valid, good example of DIY. Though calculate the thickness and get the flow resistivity numbers of material available to you to understand which frequencies will (not) be absorbed.

You reference also foam products of your local store, I would advice against it. Foam works down to 500Hz (rather nicely) and if you're lucky down to 250Hz (but limited). Go for rockwool or fiberglass, with above remark in mind.

You don't need to ventilate because of the rockwool, you need to ventilate because of the gear and human heat that is produced. It makes no difference with or without rockwool. Why are you asking this?

Tom
I heard (but just heard!) that fiberglass could be dangerous to breath in the long term.
But I also guess that if the panels are well made, with fabric well tight around the structure, no fiber should start floating in the air right?

Hey BTW, since you seem so nice, iI though about recording a voice file for you in the room to help you undesrtand how it reacts...hope you wont mind.

I also have 8 of these cheap foam panels I was thinking about placing them somewhere in the room (maybe ceiling?)

All my best.

Inti
[URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pcJ18r5RmB0mAcLDIFjFBTNqM4JmgOnI/view?usp=sharing"]
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intiman โžก๏ธ
I heard (but just heard!) that fiberglass could be dangerous to breath in the long term.
But I also guess that if the panels are well made, with fabric well tight around the structure, no fiber should start floating in the air right?

Hey BTW, since you seem so nice, iI though about recording a voice file for you in the room to help you undesrtand how it reacts...hope you wont mind.

I also have 8 of these cheap foam panels I was thinking about placing them somewhere in the room (maybe ceiling?)

All my best.

Inti
[URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pcJ18r5RmB0mAcLDIFjFBTNqM4JmgOnI/view?usp=sharing"]
Foam Panels I have:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m3N1qvT9AjcO7XLYAVKk-LFzG77yQWGM/view?usp=sharing

My voice recorded in the room
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pcJ18r5RmB0mAcLDIFjFBTNqM4JmgOnI/view?usp=sharing
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Hi Inti,

I suggest you install REW (free) or equivalent software and use the RTA or sweeps to measure, you can use the same mic you use for recording to start with I guess.

That will provide you a view on how your room is doing. And it will show you the exact problematic frequencies. If I have to play your recording (including your room reflections) in my room (with its own reflections) to 'hear' what you mean then we will never be precise enough. The stickies in the forum will guide you on how to perform sweeps and RTA's, you'll make some errors, like everyone, but that is part of the process :o). REW has a learning curve included for free . When you include the result file or some graphs, you'll see people start answering specific items.

If you are to pack the fiberglass or rockwool, even loosely, with cloth (the type where you can breathe easily through) then I think there is no worry about inhaling fibers or wool fragments.

But first things first, measure, interpret the results (with the help of the forum members), reiterate (maybe change listening position or monitor positions) and then start treating.

Regards,

Io accetto con molto piacere il tuo messaggio :o)
(But this doesn't mean I speak Italian fluently)
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSleebus โžก๏ธ
Hi Inti,

I suggest you install REW (free) or equivalent software and use the RTA or sweeps to measure, you can use the same mic you use for recording to start with I guess.

That will provide you a view on how your room is doing. And it will show you the exact problematic frequencies. If I have to play your recording (including your room reflections) in my room (with its own reflections) to 'hear' what you mean then we will never be precise enough. The stickies in the forum will guide you on how to perform sweeps and RTA's, you'll make some errors, like everyone, but that is part of the process :o). REW has a learning curve included for free . When you include the result file or some graphs, you'll see people start answering specific items.

If you are to pack the fiberglass or rockwool, even loosely, with cloth (the type where you can breathe easily through) then I think there is no worry about inhaling fibers or wool fragments.

But first things first, measure, interpret the results (with the help of the forum members), reiterate (maybe change listening position or monitor positions) and then start treating.

Regards,

Io accetto con molto piacere il tuo messaggio :o)
(But this doesn't mean I speak Italian fluently)
F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C-O
Thanks Tom, I have all I need to kickstart.

I'll get down to it following your suggestions and start learning REW.

in the meantime I'll start referencing more to my headphones (another good tip I always forget, I just hate them!!).

BTW Local store sells 10 rockwwol sheets packs for 96 euros or so. I guess its kind of good to start

A PRESTO!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…