The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!
Old 10th March 2021
Here for the gear

REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!

Hi Everyone,

I'm not familiar here and with all the measurement software but i do my best!

I am looking for advice for my home studio. I drum in the studio and listen to music / mix my mixes. I'm just not satisfied with the sound, especially not satisfied with the low end.

-It has 30 cm diameter bass traps filled with glass wool. Furthermore, extra acoustic panels of 8 cm thick with the same glass wool have been placed for the bass traps. This is to remove an extra low end in the corners.

-Furthermore, all the same 8 cm thick panels, filled with glass wool, hang from the walls.

-There is also a drop ceiling with panels of 22mm.

-There is also a panel behind my desk, half against an expensive wall and placed at an angle. This to absorb the blow of the kick drum of my drum kit. That comes straight from the kick drum head.

-The floor is fitted with carpet panels.

-The ceiling is 2.25 meters high and the room itself is 5 meters by 5.30 meters.

-The space is underground in a basement. The outer walls of the basement are 30cm thick concrete, so it's a tricky place for acoustic.

-I made and installed all the treatment in the room myself.

I only use the large speakers next to my desk to play along with my drum. These are therefore less important to me how they sound within the room, but when I turn them on, I hear less bass in the middle of the room and much more bass in the corners.

The big problem is that behind my desk and from the monitors I experience little to little bass. I hear a lot of low when I walk through the room in the corners. It sounds like that is where the layer accumulates. Furthermore, I hardly hear low when I walk through the space in the middle of the room. Mainly in the corners and a little bit along the walls.

I also did a test with REW for the first time. I have included the graphs and de MDAT.file . I also tried playing my monitor speakers to the front and back but gives almost the same test result in the low end.

So I am looking for a solution to get my bass good and maybe also other higher frequencies as good as possible in order to get a natural and good sound throughout the room that is desired in a studio. Would like to hear some good advice from you guys!

Greetings!
Attached Thumbnails
REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-right-left-speaker-spl.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-left-speaker-spl.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-right-speaker-spl.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-left-right-speaker-spectogram.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-watergraph-left-right-speaker-.jpg  

REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-img_1560.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-img_1561.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-img_1562.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-img_1563.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-img_1564.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: mdat Home studio Room All .mdat (5.85 MB, 8 views)
Old 10th March 2021
Hi @ MellaStudios , welcome to GS!

You can see in the waterfall and spectrogram that neither the ~30 Hz nor the ~67 Hz modes are damped very much. The reason is that your treatment is not enough and not deep enough to do much at this frequency. The hole at 100 Hz may be related to side walls or ceiling need more treatment.

In a concrete room, the easiest thing you can start with is to fill up the rear wall from floor to ceiling with treatment. I would guess that it takes 40 cm of a suitable material to move things.
Old 10th March 2021
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Maniac

Noticing that the ceiling in the picture is not direct concrete, is 2.25m the distance to what we see our the total height, including raised floor or hanging ceiling? Could make a huge difference in room modes ๐Ÿ˜‡
Old 11th March 2021
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellaStudios โžก๏ธ
Hi Everyone,

I'm not familiar here and with all the measurement software but i do my best!

I am looking for advice for my home studio. I drum in the studio and listen to music / mix my mixes. I'm just not satisfied with the sound, especially not satisfied with the low end.

-It has 30 cm diameter bass traps filled with glass wool. Furthermore, extra acoustic panels of 8 cm thick with the same glass wool have been placed for the bass traps. This is to remove an extra low end in the corners.

-Furthermore, all the same 8 cm thick panels, filled with glass wool, hang from the walls.

-There is also a drop ceiling with panels of 22mm.

-There is also a panel behind my desk, half against an expensive wall and placed at an angle. This to absorb the blow of the kick drum of my drum kit. That comes straight from the kick drum head.

-The floor is fitted with carpet panels.

-The ceiling is 2.25 meters high and the room itself is 5 meters by 5.30 meters.

-The space is underground in a basement. The outer walls of the basement are 30cm thick concrete, so it's a tricky place for acoustic.

-I made and installed all the treatment in the room myself.

I only use the large speakers next to my desk to play along with my drum. These are therefore less important to me how they sound within the room, but when I turn them on, I hear less bass in the middle of the room and much more bass in the corners.

The big problem is that behind my desk and from the monitors I experience little to little bass. I hear a lot of low when I walk through the room in the corners. It sounds like that is where the layer accumulates. Furthermore, I hardly hear low when I walk through the space in the middle of the room. Mainly in the corners and a little bit along the walls.

I also did a test with REW for the first time. I have included the graphs and de MDAT.file . I also tried playing my monitor speakers to the front and back but gives almost the same test result in the low end.

So I am looking for a solution to get my bass good and maybe also other higher frequencies as good as possible in order to get a natural and good sound throughout the room that is desired in a studio. Would like to hear some good advice from you guys!

Greetings!
First of all you'll have to do redo the measurements as their is too much distortion and clipping happening. 75db is good enough. Turn down the input and not necessarily the output when measuring. Also use 48khz and you don't need 4 sweeps, 1 should be plenty. Lastly the impulse measurement maybe corrupted, so find the version of REW that works best with your current OS .
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

2.25 meters is the distance from the floor (carpet panels) to the drop ceiling (black ceiling panels), so the distance on what you see in the pictures. The drop ceiling is around 11 cm under the concrete main ceiling.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor โžก๏ธ
First of all you'll have to do redo the measurements as their is too much distortion and clipping happening. 75db is good enough. Turn down the input and not necessarily the output when measuring. Also use 48khz and you don't need 4 sweeps, 1 should be plenty. Lastly the impulse measurement maybe corrupted, so find the version of REW that works best with your current OS .
thank you very much for the advice, I will do the measurement again. I was already so confused why the high frequencies turned out so badly on the measurement. Wil try another REW version on my mac!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard โžก๏ธ
Hi @ MellaStudios , welcome to GS!

You can see in the waterfall and spectrogram that neither the ~30 Hz nor the ~67 Hz modes are damped very much. The reason is that your treatment is not enough and not deep enough to do much at this frequency. The hole at 100 Hz may be related to side walls or ceiling need more treatment.

In a concrete room, the easiest thing you can start with is to fill up the rear wall from floor to ceiling with treatment. I would guess that it takes 40 cm of a suitable material to move things.

thanks for the advice, I just didn't want to make a whole new back wall because I have already made and applied so much. I was thinking more about maybe replacing or thickening panels, or maybe adding tuned bass traps to the bad frequencies. But no idea what the best plan is.
Quote:
But no idea what the best plan is.
Well, I was going back & forth in my room but you know what solved (most of) my problems with the rear wall? Covering it in 30 cm deep Caruso ISO-BOND WLG040.
Old 11th March 2021
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Your main problem are room dimensions which multiples are close to each other, so modal frequencies are overlapping. Since these are pretty low (35Hz/70Hz) and discrete, resonant absorbers might be a effective solution.
Old 11th March 2021
Gear Maniac

Your room modes are indeed dictating some of the lows, 32Hz (but this seems at the edge of your measurement) and 65Hz, 97Hz etc are all coming from the 5.3m length. If you want to attack those, do as johann says

70Hz, 104Hz and about 136Hz are coming from the 5m width, want to address these, do the same on the side walls :o)

73Hz and 146Hz coming from the height, same story.

If modes are about 5Hz to each other, you may consider them as the same and thus making eachother stronger or weaker, as andow mentions.

As a wise man said before, whatever the cause, bass traps are the answer...
Old 11th March 2021
Gear Maniac

When you say

Whenever you tackle the lows, the highs will follow, focus on the <500Hz part, the high freq's are easier to handle afterwards
Old 11th March 2021
Here for the gear

Update!

I made new measurements with the adjustments like @ thethrillfactor said. The high frequency frequencies seem to be a lot better and also make sense when I compare it to what I actually hear with my own ears. The low frequencies are more sharply visible and I also see a large gap now at 50 Hz.

I put the MDAT.file below!

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate!

I was already thinking about the membrane bass trapps from gik acoustic, for example. And I am also looking at installing thicker wall panels to replace the current ones. Maybe panels that are thicker than 8cm and more low or with Monster Bass traps with range limiter for example? I don't know or looking to these things wil help but that's why i'm here for your advice.

Covering the entire back wall with 30cm isolation is something I really didn't want to do, because of the work and time it takes and I have to take everything apart again. So it is better for me to replace things or install extra panels or apply insulation within the current setup if possible.

Between the ceiling and the floor, I may only be able to place insulation behind the drop ceiling, there is 11 cm space for it, so i think on the other hand that that will not help much for the low end.

More advice or thinking along is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-watergraph-left-speaker-2.jpg   REW graph analysis Home Studio Advice!-watergraph-right-speaker-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Studio Measurements All 2.mdat (5.89 MB, 3 views)
Quote:
I was already thinking about the membrane bass trapps from gik acoustic, for example. And I am also looking at installing thicker wall panels to replace the current ones. Maybe panels that are thicker than 8cm and more low or with Monster Bass traps with range limiter for example?
Monster Bass Traps with Range Limiter work good but based on your room dimensions, I think they may not be thick enough to do much about even the 2 modes (2-0-0, 0-2-0).

However, if you want to buy something finished, get at least four for each side (two on the floor, two on top each side).
Old 11th March 2021
Gear Maniac

Your graphs you just uploaded are basically saying your panels and treatment work fine on +500Hz. Want to be effective in the lower range, then do more and thicker, that's basically it ๐Ÿ˜‚.
Old 11th March 2021
Gear Maniac

If you want to focus on 1 thing, make it the 32Hz and 65Hz one, they have a whopping 1sec ring.

The gap is on 52Hz and 104Hz and coming from the sides.

Maybe try an alternative listening position, using REW with two functions RTA and generator (use pink periodic noise), limit the freq's to 20Hz->500Hz and when opening the RTA window and measuring, walk around with the mic to see where the gaps are as low as you can go. This can be considered as 'live' feedback.
๐Ÿ“ Reply