Quantcast
Is it safe for the back of acoustic panels to be wrapped with mesh, but still exposing rock wool? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it safe for the back of acoustic panels to be wrapped with mesh, but still exposing rock wool?
Old 26th February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is it safe for the back of acoustic panels to be wrapped with mesh, but still exposing rock wool?

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for this awesome community! Love what I've learned from these forums and want to give you all a heartfelt thanks for sharing your knowledge and insights with one another.

I hired someone to build out these acoustic panels for my bedroom studio, and they used some sort of pine-wood for the frames with rock wool for insulation and a porous velvet fabric to cover it all up. The front is covered with the porous velvet, but the back is covered with a wire mesh to contain the rock wool, so it doesn't fall out.

Is it safe for the back to be left semi-open like that with the rock wool? It’s a fine wire mesh so it can’t spill out in bulk, but just concerned about dust particles from the rock wool getting out and being breathed in.

I know that breathing this stuff in is bad for you, and several of the panels will go under an A/C duct, so I just want to make sure this is safe and not a risk to my health, since I also will be sleeping in this room.

If it's not safe, what would you say is the best solution to cover up the back since nails will have to pierce through during the mounting? Can't see how I can cover up the back as the wooden panels in the back would still have to mount to the wall. Photos attached.

Or... am I nitpicking and worrying too much about this?

Thank you so much and very much appreciated! I appreciate your input

Image showing front of panels: https://ibb.co/rsSMcJt
Image showing the back: https://ibb.co/Yb7cPG5
Close-up image of the mesh: https://ibb.co/CBKxTHn

Last edited by arthurg; 26th February 2021 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: clarified subject in title
Old 26th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My experience has been that a mesh back has been perfectly safe. With 41 traps all made the same (as per the photos) I would have noticed if the floor was getting covered in strands of insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it safe for the back of acoustic panels to be wrapped with mesh, but still exposing rock wool?-2395hook.jpg   Is it safe for the back of acoustic panels to be wrapped with mesh, but still exposing rock wool?-2405cloud.jpg  
Old 26th February 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Of course there will be particles coming off from the back, if theres only wire holding it in place. Easiest solution probably would be polyester batting or really thin plastic. That thin plastic probably little bit cheaper.
Old 26th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rock wool is not dangerous, at least the Thermafiber I used wasn't. Any particles that might fall off just drop to the floor. But even that doesn't happen very much.

Fiberglas is different. I wouldn't have very much naked fiberglas in the room, although I do have some.

But my Thermafiber panels have been perfectly naked for a good 40 years now and I'm not dead yet.
Old 26th February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ah, you guys are the greatest! It's rockwool AFB. Thank you for laying my anxieties to rest!

If anyone is interested, it's stone wool insulation that is made from natural stone and recycled content.
Old 26th February 2021
Gear Addict

I second using dacron style polyester batting in place of mesh for almost all absorber panel applications. It's great stuff, cheap, and it also has absorbing properties of its own. It's a good transition medium between open air and the denser insulation. I made some clouds that are half polyester half rockwool safe n sound and they work very well.

Isn't thermafiber pretty dense? It's around 20000 rayls/m right?
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce ➡️
Isn't thermafiber pretty dense? It's around 20000 rayls/m right?
Thermafiber is a brand name, not a specific product.
Gear Addict

Oh, right. It's Owens Corning's mineral wool?

I was thinking of this product:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...-121/308298695

Last spring I was able to get a package of this stuff for only 17 USD.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Oh, right. It's Owens Corning's mineral wool?
The brand is a part of Owens Corning. I do not know how integrated the brands are. They could have separate factories or be made in the same facility.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I second using dacron style polyester batting in place of mesh for almost all absorber panel applications. It's great stuff, cheap, and it also has absorbing properties of its own.
Not to be contrary but I did read a technical article where they measured a collection of stuffings for their effect inside a speaker cabinet. Polyester filling had almost no effect at all.
Gear Addict

It has low flow resistivity, about 2000 rayls/m, so I am not surprised it did almost nothing for that application. I am pretty sure it needs to be over 2 feet thick to absorb any bass. Also the main purpose of using it as a covering is not for its acoustical properties since it would not be very thick, but because it helps keep what’s in the trap, in the trap. The slight absorption is just a tiny bonus. If you make it a lot thick though, it does have more of an effect. I used it 4 inches thick on a cloud to smooth out the dips in absorption caused by the distance of the air gap.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…