The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A few questions for the experts
Old 25th January 2021
Here for the gear

A few questions for the experts

Hey Guys,

A few questions for you as I continue to work on my home studio

- What is a desirable RT60 in a smallish home studio? (136" x 122"). I understand there is some debate if RT60 even matters in rooms this small. However I'm concerned the amount of absorption in my space is eating up too much mid/highs, and I'm wondering if I should install slats on some of my bass traps or panels to help restore them.
- I've heard about using a specific sequence when installing slats so they reflect frequencies across a large range. I'm having trouble finding info about this. Does anyone have a good article which specifies how to accomplish this "correctly?"
- I believe I've eliminated my SBIR issues and things are looking/sounding much better. I'm still seeing what I assume is a room mode around 50Hz. I suppose the only way I can rid myself of this is still more absorption? My entire room is going to be absorption!
- I plan on using the remaining space at the rear of the room to track vocals and acoustic guitar. My plan is to deaden the space with a combination of acoustic blankets and acoustic panels on ceiling walls. It would be nice to utilize the room but I doubt that's going to be possible with all the absorption required for the mix position along with the poor acoustics of the room. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your help. Today I'm building four more panels for the ceiling at the rear of the room. I'll post a complete post with measurements, pics, etc once I get closer to completion.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…