The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can a 3' inch rockwool acoustic panel be used as bass trap
Old 4th December 2020
Can a 3' inch rockwool acoustic panel be used as bass trap

If your only recording vocals with a high pass filter on. Could a 3inch seven foot rockwool acoustic panel be good for bass trapping or will my cousin have to get a dedicated bass trap. He doesn't have the money to buy anything else. His theory is the high pass filter will block the lows and the rockwool should block out more then 80hz of bass
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
I looked at the threads and couldn't really get a clear answer. I get 6inchs is minimum for bass trapping but what I wanna know is with 3 inches with a high pass filter on a mic will it get rid of enough bass atleast 70hz.
Old 5th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
http://www.acousticmodelling.com
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by onshott1 ➑️
I looked at the threads and couldn't really get a clear answer. I get 6inchs is minimum for bass trapping but what I wanna know is with 3 inches with a high pass filter on a mic will it get rid of enough bass atleast 70hz.
You have answer. 6" minimum. 3" will give effective absorption down to ~200 Hz random incidence and 800 Hz normal incidence.

You want the best for the buck and best? 8" of light insulation. BTW "rockwool" is a brand, not a specific or general product name.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➑️
You have answer. 6" minimum. 3" will give effective absorption down to ~200 Hz random incidence and 800 Hz normal incidence.

You want the best for the buck and best? 8" of light insulation. BTW "rockwool" is a brand, not a specific or general product name.
And what will 6’ and 8’ give?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 ➑️
And what will 6’ and 8’ give?
Give? Significant absorption down to ~80 Hz.
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Knauf R-38 is 12 inches and even better.

Sometimes Home Depot only carries the R-30 which is 10 inches. If that's the case, get that.
πŸ“ Reply