The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Too many displays, too many ATC speakers
Old 20th November 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
To the OP, what did you end up doing? I am in a similar situation, having SCM50s as mains and looking for the right centre channel solution that won't be obscured by computer monitor, and will fit below TV. Most likely it will be a SCM45 or a horizontal SCM50.
Old 20th November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehatpadl ➡️
To the OP, what did you end up doing? I am in a similar situation, having SCM50s as mains and looking for the right centre channel solution that won't be obscured by computer monitor, and will fit below TV. Most likely it will be a SCM45 or a horizontal SCM50.
See picture. The solution in the end was to bring the auxiliary displays more to the outside, so the L and R can fire unobstructed. Centre channel horizontal, though I have to get the baffle changed so the tweeter can sit above the mid. My acoustician points out that it actually beneficial that the centre speaker's woofer is off-centre in the room (when the mid-and tweeter are central).

Screens are now 32" for the main, and 27" for the sides. The TV can now be any size. Will eventually go 65" or more. I gave up on the idea of a custom built desk, and went for the DIY solution, where everything is kept as small as possible. The desk is now tiny, something my acoustician always pushed for.
Attached Thumbnails
Too many displays, too many ATC speakers-img_1288.jpg   Too many displays, too many ATC speakers-img_1264.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonnoise ➡️
See picture. The solution in the end was to bring the auxiliary displays more to the outside, so the L and R can fire unobstructed. Centre channel horizontal, though I have to get the baffle changed so the tweeter can sit above the mid. My acoustician points out that it actually beneficial that the centre speaker's woofer is off-centre in the room (when the mid-and tweeter are central).

Screens are now 32" for the main, and 27" for the sides. The TV can now be any size. Will eventually go 65" or more. I gave up on the idea of a custom built desk, and went for the DIY solution, where everything is kept as small as possible. The desk is now tiny, something my acoustician always pushed for.
Thank you, this makes a lot of sense, yes ATC mentioned the mid dome is the listening axis so the woofer will be offset. I hadn’t considered that that might actually be a good thing. Did you ever consider a SCM45A as centre? And what are using for surrounds, are they SCM20PSLs or SCM12s? Thanks for your response, super useful.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you, this makes a lot of sense, yes ATC mentioned the mid dome is the listening axis so the woofer will be offset. I hadn’t considered that that might actually be a good thing. Did you ever consider a SCM45A as centre? And what are using for surrounds, are they SCM20PSLs or SCM12s? Thanks for your response, super useful.
Glad it’s useful! Surrounds are SCM20SL passives. Not considered the 45 for centre. It’d only be small cash saving, and for me it’s more important to have LCR matched.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Glad it’s useful! Surrounds are SCM20SL passives. Not considered the 45 for centre. It’d only be small cash saving, and for me it’s more important to have LCR matched.
Super interesting thank you! SCM20PSLs here too, have ordered SCM45A but now considering changing to 50 (but it’s still a few grand different, at least in Australia). What amps are you using on the passives? I have Hypex NC400s but tonally they’re a bit different and I’m wondering if the P1 might be worth it. But, probably money better spent on a matching centre.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Super interesting thank you! SCM20PSLs here too, have ordered SCM45A but now considering changing to 50 (but it’s still a few grand different, at least in Australia). What amps are you using on the passives? I have Hypex NC400s but tonally they’re a bit different and I’m wondering if the P1 might be worth it. But, probably money better spent on a matching centre.
Rotel RB-993 amp. Class AB (like the ATC 50's amps), 3 channel version of the discontinued RB-1080. It's 200W into 8 ohm. Previously I used a Bryston 120W. The Rotel was audibly a step up. The SCM20SL seem power hungry.

Hypex I'm sure are great. Class D right? Once I go Atmos, I may consider the Amphion 400.8, also Class D. I am trying to go greener in the studio and all those Class AB amps are power guzzlers, and generate heat, which in turn necessitates air conditioning & power usage.

In the writing room I have SCM20ASLs, and I do think they are slightly clearer than passives. Passive for surrounds is more than fine though.

You may well be fine with the 45 centre, if it's for music. For audio post for picture it may be better to have the LCR match.
Old 20th November 2021
Lives for gear

This issue led me to use just one 24" HD monitor between my ATC 25's with the ATC set back if a 65" triangle to me and the monitor screen 1m away from me.

There's no audio interference that's delectable by ear like this.

The downside is one has to work with only a 24" single screen.
Old 21st November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Rotel RB-993 amp. Class AB (like the ATC 50's amps), 3 channel version of the discontinued RB-1080. It's 200W into 8 ohm. Previously I used a Bryston 120W. The Rotel was audibly a step up. The SCM20SL seem power hungry.
Thank you, I will look into the Rotel, you're not the first to point them out.

Quote:
Hypex I'm sure are great. Class D right? Once I go Atmos, I may consider the Amphion 400.8, also Class D. I am trying to go greener in the studio and all those Class AB amps are power guzzlers, and generate heat, which in turn necessitates air conditioning & power usage.

In the writing room I have SCM20ASLs, and I do think they are slightly clearer than passives. Passive for surrounds is more than fine though.
Hypex is class D, yes, and quite cost-effective if you can assemble them yourself (or get a friend to do it!). The sound great but a bit bright on all the speakers I have tested them with. Admittedly mine are also being fed by a different D/A than my 50s (MTRX instead of Solaris).

Quote:
You may well be fine with the 45 centre, if it's for music. For audio post for picture it may be better to have the LCR match.
Yeah, it's hard to know which way to go on this. On one hand, any end-user's listening environment is likely to be even more poorly matched with respect to centre speaker. On the other, it's more likely to be used for music than in film. I probably just need to spend some time convincing myself to pony up for the 50. We will see!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Casse ➡️
This issue led me to use just one 24" HD monitor between my ATC 25's with the ATC set back if a 65" triangle to me and the monitor screen 1m away from me.

There's no audio interference that's delectable by ear like this.

The downside is one has to work with only a 24" single screen.
A lot of mastering engineers work with more minimal display areas like yours, nice.

Still, my acoustician, who is normally fussy, said this was good screen arrangement. Low frequencies just wrap around the screens, and high freq should be ok as well, as nothing is obstructed. He is way more concerned about the size of desk (which I addressed), and racks.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, it's hard to know which way to go on this. On one hand, any end-user's listening environment is likely to be even more poorly matched with respect to centre speaker. On the other, it's more likely to be used for music than in film. I probably just need to spend some time convincing myself to pony up for the 50. We will see!
It should all be ok. The only time where I'd get nervous (maybe unnecessarily) is when you get a source like a Decca Tree, which you treat as a group, spread to LCR. The slightly different low freq responses of the speakers may be confusing. Maybe not!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It should all be ok. The only time where I'd get nervous (maybe unnecessarily) is when you get a source like a Decca Tree, which you treat as a group, spread to LCR. The slightly different low freq responses of the speakers may be confusing. Maybe not!
Yes, that’s something I’d be likely to do mind you! I’ve found one chap with this setup, so I’ve reached out to him for thoughts.
Lives for gear

Beautiful setup!

Just chiming on your name: try Crimson amps. 640s in your case. Class AB, the smaller 630Ds beat out Amphion Amp 700 on my Amphion 3LS. Crimsons are bit exotic bit great amps!

Class D amps are a matter of taste really. I preferred Class A or good Class AB in almost all cases
Old 29th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So, I have my SCM45A in the centre, and it's true – it does have quite a different tonal characteristic to the SCM50ASL, it's a bit darker sounding. I've got closer with a bit of speaker management EQ (from Ben at ATC, via Ron Searles). Interestingly, the my SCM20PSL surrounds are probably the most tonally similar to the 50s, at least in my room.

A 50AC (or a horizontal 110ASL) would have been the best choice, the former was an additional three grand, and I hate to imagine what the latter would cost!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehowardmusic ➡️
So, I have my SCM45A in the centre, and it's true – it does have quite a different tonal characteristic to the SCM50ASL, it's a bit darker sounding. I've got closer with a bit of speaker management EQ (from Ben at ATC, via Ron Searles). Interestingly, the my SCM20PSL surrounds are probably the most tonally similar to the 50s, at least in my room.

A 50AC (or a horizontal 110ASL) would have been the best choice, the former was an additional three grand, and I hate to imagine what the latter would cost!
Even my centre SCM50ASL sounds different to the the other two SCM50ASL, due to its position in the room! What EQ system do you use - and did you say Ben from ATC approved of it?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Even my centre SCM50ASL sounds different to the the other two SCM50ASL, due to its position in the room! What EQ system do you use - and did you say Ben from ATC approved of it?
Well, I got the EQ points second-hand from Ben, so I haven't checked (although I have been in touch with him). And they were different to what I initially tried after experimenting with REW. Other posts here acknowledge the differences between the two monitors.

I should also add that LR is using a separate D/A (a Cranesong Solaris), so I suppose I should measure again all using the same converter.

Re: EQ, I'm using the SPQ in the MTRX which is insanely flexible and hard to imagine doing without for Atmos, you can delay, EQ, fold down anything you can imagine. Can recommend!

PS. Really enjoyed the interview you tweeted about the other day.
Old 17th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:

Sweet studio, would you mind sharing where you got those colour panels?
Old 17th March 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The green ones are of 3 types:

5 x RPG Modex Broadband wrapped in green fabric
4 x RPG Absorbor on the ceiling (with huge rock wool filled cavities behind)
3 x DIY tuned membrane absorbers

The grey corner traps are custom built in situ.
Attached Thumbnails
Too many displays, too many ATC speakers-dsc_3352.jpg  
Old 17th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
The green ones are of 3 types:

5 x RPG Modex Broadband wrapped in green fabric
4 x RPG Absorbor on the ceiling (with huge rock wool filled cavities behind)
3 x DIY tuned membrane absorbers

The grey corner traps are custom built in situ.
Thank you, what was the name of the green fabric it looks awesome!
📝 Reply