Quantcast
Patio Door as a Window? Can it be done?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patio Door as a Window? Can it be done??
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Question Patio Door as a Window? Can it be done??

hello there! I need your advice please.

I'm building a small detached composing / mixing / editing studio in LA. I got a good deal on some very heavy duty wood patio doors with a huge thick glass window that makes up most of the door. They were removed from a home studio build out (already extra caulked etc). I have more doors than I need.

So.... here's my question - has anyone ever used a patio door (obviously not opening and closing) in place of a window? But even more specifically - in place of a double window can TWO matching wood patio doors be severely fastened together - sandwiched on top of each other (lined up perfectly, liquid nailed etc) to use as a thick double window? Is this a crazy idea or could it work??

Thank you all so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Door as a Window? Can it be done??-screen-shot-2019-01-17-3.29.15-pm.jpg  
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A window is a window, of course it will work as a window. The better question would be "will it work in this scenario?" The praticality depends on your intended use and isolation requirements. You say "thick" how thick is thick?? Is the glass laminated?
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You will end up with condensation between them because they wont be vacuum sealed like insulated glass windows are. Wont look good.
Eric
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Possible, but it depends on his intended use. If its for exterior use, on a single leaf, your probably right. If its interior, like between control room/live room, then there's ways to stop that.
Old 20th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi ➡️
Possible, but it depends on his intended use. If its for exterior use, on a single leaf, your probably right. If its interior, like between control room/live room, then there's ways to stop that.
Yep...that right
Old 26th January 2021
Here for the gear

Only for exterior use. I think it's a more practical decision in all cases! But you must be aware that painting fiberglass doors would only suspend the solution. Sooner or later you will need to make a final decision. I know that such types of doors are hard to repair because they can not be sanded. So, what is left here? If I was in your position, I would think about reinstalling the whole door. I think sliding doors are more practical. I always use this source when I want to install patio doors or recommend them to anyone. Maybe, someone else will give you some piece of advice as well, but this option is definitely a good one!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…