Quantcast
room sucking out all the bass?!? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
room sucking out all the bass?!?
Old 16th January 2019
room sucking out all the bass?!?

Hi,

I've built over a dozen production rooms in various small offices, extra bedrooms, basements, whole floor of homes, etc... so I've done this many times before.

My new room I'm currently setting up seems to be sucking almost all the bottom end out. It's weird.

I've only ever had issues with maybe too much bass and/or resonances in certain spots in the various rooms, where I've been able to use a common-sense variety of absorption panels, diffusers and bass traps to tame and get them under enough control to make a good working environment.

However, in this room, it sounds like there is a hi-pass on my system.

I'm just now starting to listen... I have a couple of effective large panels against the back wall, tilted a bit (so they might be trapping a little), but no other panels or diffusers are up yet.

The room is 12' x 20' with 9' ceilings... so not tiny. Most of the gear, furniture and instruments are in place. It's a little bright and splashy at the moment; but not terrible. OF course, I know i need to do some treatments.

Is it possible that there is so much top end bouncing around that it would make it seem there is hardly any bottom? I can hear through "imbalances" so it doesn't seem that the low bass is just attenuated (or that the top end is too loud)... it seems like it's dis appearing altogether. There is not a spot in the room where it magically reappears.

Any thoughts? Thx
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
not even in the corners you hear enough lf? where are your speakers positioned/how close to the walls?
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I've had the same situation on a new studio. Very weird.
I changed the monitor spot and everything went normal.
For some reason the middle of the room was a big valley on bass frequency.
We usually fight hard with the bass peaks. But this room had a big valley. Go figure.
Try change your monitor positions. A few centimeters was enough in my case.
Old 16th January 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah โžก๏ธ
not even in the corners you hear enough lf? where are your speakers positioned/how close to the walls?
Yeah, good questions.

They're about 3 ft out from the back wall, and about 3 ft from the sides on each side. Those are the larger JBLs; the Focals are inside of the JBLs, so even closer in from the sides.

The room is remarkably consistent; even sticking my head in the corners... no typical welling up that usually needs to be trapped.

However... there is a spot at the midway-back point in the room where it seems to fill out. Not boomy, just like the bottom octave comes back subtly.

I'm still sketching things in; so I can reposition my desk further away from the back wall and deeper into the room.
Old 16th January 2019
I guess I really need to be about 5' off the back wall... gonna try that now. (But I wouldn't think that would cause thin bass issues... but I'm no expert.)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
give it a try and move your speakers closer to the front wall, with the rear/edge of the speakers almost touching the wall - also, in the lf range, it's crucial to check distance between lf woofers and the walls: for maximum coupling of speakers (maximum output), lf woofers need to be at max. 1/4th of the wavelength of the frequency in question (mostly the hpf or the x-over between top and sub, if there is any) anything above and you start getting cancellations, with 1/2 length being the worst (out of phase)...
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Is the polarity correct? Easy check is play one channel.

Andre
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
What kind of walls? Ply wood, gypsum board, concrete...? Large windows?

Ake
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah โžก๏ธ
give it a try and move your speakers closer to the front wall, with the rear/edge of the speakers almost touching the wall - also, in the lf range, it's crucial to check distance between lf woofers and the walls: for maximum coupling of speakers (maximum output), lf woofers need to be at max. 1/4th of the wavelength of the frequency in question (mostly the hpf or the x-over between top and sub, if there is any) anything above and you start getting cancellations, with 1/2 length being the worst (out of phase)...
Moving them out away from the back wall helped noticeably. Still thinner than usual; but much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare โžก๏ธ
Is the polarity correct? Easy check is play one channel.

Andre
Yes, polarity is correct; that was one of the first things I checked. My M-Patch 4M speaker switcher/controller has a Mono button. It's not as drastic as that. thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake โžก๏ธ
What kind of walls? Ply wood, gypsum board, concrete...? Large windows?

Ake
Decent build of normal drywall.

Front wall and back wall are to the exterior. The side walls have other rooms/space cavities on the other sides. There is a floor above me, as well.

I will have an RF zone: sides and cloud above me of absorption panels... but again, there aren't any crazy HF reflections or flutter echoes. It's just that my speakers sound like the bottom octave is missing largely.

Now, I am clocking internally on my interface, as I can't seem to find the connector cable for my external Word clock at the moment... and my interface keeps dropping out intermittently, for some reason. But I wouldn't think an intermittent clocking issue would create that much of a disparity in the LF.

I'm still setting up, so numerous bugs to eradicate still.
๐Ÿ“ Reply