Recover low frequency - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recover low frequency
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Recover low frequency

Hi,
I am trying to figure out if there is any possibility to recover bad interference of 31hz at my room without changing a placement of speakers and sweet spot ? I have adopted room and thre is a big hole at 31hz. This frequency is present at some corners. So this is bad interference i think.

Best Regards
R.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A subwoofer or tons of bass trapping can help fill in the null at the LP.
Old 2nd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In addition to what Jason said, I'm just wondering what instrument it is that you will be recording / mixing, that has a lot of energy at 31 Hz.... there aren't may instruments that go down that low. Maybe a six string bass, a concert grand piano, and a church pipe organ.. I can't then of anything else that plays that low. So I'm sort of wondering why this is a big issue for you.

But as Jason, said, a pair of subwoofers properly set up in your room can probably take care of that null.

- Stuart -
Old 3rd January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
hi Stuart,

Yes but i have linear speakers from 20hz up. And i want to have this low energy like i have in the corner at my listening position. Its really nice thing believe me I will make now 8 helmholtz and will see the result and let U know Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 ➡️
In addition to what Jason said, I'm just wondering what instrument it is that you will be recording / mixing, that has a lot of energy at 31 Hz.... there aren't may instruments that go down that low. Maybe a six string bass, a concert grand piano, and a church pipe organ.. I can't then of anything else that plays that low. So I'm sort of wondering why this is a big issue for you.

But as Jason, said, a pair of subwoofers properly set up in your room can probably take care of that null.

- Stuart -
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
...I'm just wondering what instrument it is that you will be recording / mixing, that has a lot of energy at 31 Hz.... there aren't may instruments that go down that low.
Synth bass and 808 kick drums? Welcome to the worlds of hip hop and EDM

...not that anyone wants "a lot of energy" at 31Hz. But in some genres, you certainly want "enough" going on down there.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileon ➡️
hi Stuart,

Yes but i have linear speakers from 20hz up.
Do these linear speakers have a name? Flat to 20hz is not possible with most monitors, even with most very expensive, very large monitors.
There are headphones that are honest in that sub octave and not influenced by the room.
Too bad you can’t move your mix position to a fat corner.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi, yes they are JbnSys 215 - made by some domestic audio hobbyst. They have 2x15 isobaric woofer and they really do this what they have to do. The one weigth is ~130 kg .. let me know if U want to know more.
Regards
Rafal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
Do these linear speakers have a name? Flat to 20hz is not possible with most monitors, even with most very expensive, very large monitors.
There are headphones that are honest in that sub octave and not influenced by the room.
Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yes, I want to know what country you are in, and what country the speakers are from. And what they cost.
If the internet specs are honest, these speaker already reach deeper into the lowest lows than do most marketed subs.
Old 4th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
... Flat to 20hz is not possible with most monitors, even with most very expensive, very large monitors....
Very true. The usual way of getting flat down to 20 Hz, is with a couple of large subs to supplement the mains. And even then, there aren't a lot of studio subs that get down below 20 Hz, with flat response...

- Stuart -
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, I want to know what country you are in, and what country the speakers are from. And what they cost.
If the internet specs are honest, these speaker already reach deeper into the lowest lows than do most marketed subs.
I googled them. They claim "Frequency response 14 Hz - 40 kHz +- 2.5 dB". Interesting, but I'd take that with a gain of salt...

They also claim: "Acoustic output 132 dB SPL 2m." That would knock your socks off! And crack your windows, too...

Here's the link: Audio, Stereo, Hi Fi, Hi End, Video - Sprzęt audio - Audiostereo.pl

I don't speak Polish, and I don't have a lot of time to work through all of that with Google Translate, but what I'd really like to see is the data sheet, with all the relevant graphs of their performance. Not sure if that is in there some place...

- Stuart -
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I googled them. They claim "Frequency response 14 Hz - 40 kHz +- 2.5 dB". Interesting, but I'd take that with a gain of salt...

They also claim: "Acoustic output 132 dB SPL 2m." That would knock your socks off! And crack your windows, too...

Here's the link: Audio, Stereo, Hi Fi, Hi End, Video - Sprzęt audio - Audiostereo.pl

I don't speak Polish, and I don't have a lot of time to work through all of that with Google Translate, but what I'd really like to see is the data sheet, with all the relevant graphs of their performance. Not sure if that is in there some place...

- Stuart -
FR graph.... with uh..... 1/3 smoothing......
sprzedam - Monitory Studyjne | dzwiek.org - forum inżynierii dźwięku
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi, yes they are JbnSys 215 - made by some domestic audio hobbyst. They have 2x15 isobaric woofer and they really do this what they have to do. The one weigth is ~130 kg .. let me know if U want to know more.
Regards
Rafal
Thank you for the information on the monitors/speakers!

Andre
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi ➡️
Nice find!

But like I said: grain of salt....

That's the measurement of the speakers mounted in a room, too... not anechoic. Seems to have a B&K house curve applied, too. If my speakers rolled off the high end like that in an anechoic measurement, I'd return them!

I'm not doubting they are good speakers and perform well: I'd just like to know what the true frequency response, off axis response, and time-domain response looks like.

- Stuart -
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➡️
Thank you for the information on the monitors/speakers!

Andre
Hey, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Andre! I hope they were both enjoyable!
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
hello,

Yes they can have so high spl as this lows are really strong. Currenty i have divided on 400 and 4000. When i sit in the conrner of my room at sofa i fell like i am sitting on some sponge that is shaking and the bass and it is drilling my body. I never got this response from any other spekaers and subs true. About frequency response they are controller by DSP so what U will get depends on personal taste. The one piece weigth is about 130KG so it can be a little hard to ship to US for example but everything is possible

Best Regards
R.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Andre! I hope they were both enjoyable!
Thank you yes they were.

Andre
Old 5th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
get a neumann kh805 sub and you can have lf for a very reasonable price
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
get a neumann kh805 sub and you can have lf for a very reasonable price
The kh805 has a 200 watt amplifier, is 3db down at 18 hz and falls off below that. It is capable of 110 to 112 db max.
If the OP’s main speaker specs are reliable, this sub won’t help or even keep up unless he sits on it.
Even then, I’m not sure it would help.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
maybe time to test one if you're having doubts about its capabilities: i'm using a kh805 as a lf extension for my tad/augspurgers and a kh810 as lfe speaker for my actively driven tannoy dmt10 surround setup.
with a little help from my lake processors, these systems measure pretty much flat down to 20hz.

honestly now: who really needs to hear below 30hz? - and then, there is this:
The Elephant In The Control Room |
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The kh805 has a 200 watt amplifier, is 3db down at 18 hz and falls off below that. It is capable of 110 to 112 db max.
If the OP’s main speaker specs are reliable, this sub won’t help or even keep up unless he sits on it.
Even then, I’m not sure it would help.
Get a pair and strap them to your head like headphones.... duh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Get a pair and strap them to your head like headphones.... duh
The headphone idea is great if he has a very strong neck and doesn’t need to hear those annoying mids and highs.

To modify your idea... he could strap the pair on like armor, one on his chest and one on his back. He should definitely feel that extremely low bass. If it doesn’t stop his heart.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi.

I saw this was about the JBN SYS 215. I had a random encounter with them when I was visiting Poland 7 years ago. I cannot comment on if they do what they claim but I can however confirm they play insanely loud - loudest I heard outside concert sound - and sound good.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
maybe time to test one if you're having doubts about its capabilities: i'm using a kh805 as a lf extension for my tad/augspurgers and a kh810 as lfe speaker for my actively driven tannoy dmt10 surround setup.
with a little help from my lake processors, these systems measure pretty much flat down to 20hz.

Thanks for the link, and the link within the link.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

So, SBIR. This is why we flush mount
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
most pros probably do so - some cannot due to space, constructional or other restrictions; for those, the article i keep referring to imo provides some good advice.

3 of my studios use in-wall designs, 2 don't: funny enough, i like working in one of those with free standing speakers the most although it does have some minor room issues which i happily correct by tweaking external dsp (installed in all rooms)

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 6th January 2019 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, definitely. Its great advice, and some of the most often given advice i see in the forums. I personally think subs and dsp are a must weather you flush mount on not. For sbir or FR reasons
Old 6th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
hi, its not like U are listening a disco party Its good to have this frequency controllable for mixing. I see that when i can control low frequencies around 30 the mixes have a specific power at bottom also i see that when i am listening to some recordings - one of them are really 'full' some others are thin .. but of course we can make good mix only with ns10 this is 100% true.
As i see its more for fun and some investigation of sound - how and etc.
Cheers.

Quote:

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
nothing wrong with having a system which extends to the lowest octave - it's just that it's mostly for our own pleasure and entertainment as hardly any speaker systems outside the studio goes down very low, not mobile, not at home or live...

if you're looking for something to beef up your 31hz bump, use a apeaker controller and get a clair cp218 for some serious low end ooompf!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
but of course we can make good mix only with ns10 this is 100% true.
Not a hip hop or electronic mix, how can you mix something you cant' hear?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
hi,
never tried hiphop but what i found is that on proper environment ( i mean big enougth room or adopted) ns10 can sound really bassy Not 30hz of course but they can give some low energy image somehow.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee ➡️
Not a hip hop or electronic mix, how can you mix something you cant' hear?
📝 Reply