The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Room Treatment Help
Old 26th December 2018
Acoustic Room Treatment Help

Hi my names Joe i'm new here ,

I was wondering if you guys could help give me your advice on treating my room. I make music and mix/master and wanted a decent sounding room but nothing too over the top.

Basic Room measurements:
-8 feet tall ceiling
-11 foot wide ( not counting the closets)
-11 feet long

Speakers:
-JBL LSR305 speakers
-JBL LSR310s 10’ Sub.

Treatment:
-Mineral Wool

I attached a bunch of images of what my room looks like as well as what treatment I wanted done and where, please look at them to get a better understanding.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic Room Treatment Help-2-22-thick-8-mineral-wool-acoustical-board-stats.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-2-22-thick-8-mineral-wool-acoustical-board.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-4-22-thick-4-mineral-wool-acoustical-board-stats.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-4-22-thick-4-mineral-wool-acoustical-board.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-layout.jpg  

Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-total-measurments.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-7-window-.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-6.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-5.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-4.jpg  

Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-3.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-2.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-1.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-treatment-7.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-treatment-6.jpg  

Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-treatment-5.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-treatment-4.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-treatment-3.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-treatment-2.jpg   Acoustic Room Treatment Help-room-treatment-1.jpg  

Old 27th December 2018
Can you measure your room using REW and post the .mdat file?
Old 27th December 2018 | Show parent
Honestly I don't know what that is. What I can tell you, is that I measured my room twice and it is those measurements that I provided besides the two closets which the doors I have closed when I mix, and also besides the window which is about 7 inches deep and 4 feet wide by about 3 feet tall.

Here is the basic measurements:
-8 feet tall ceiling
-11 foot wide ( not counting the closets)
-11 feet long

I also want to make it clear that i'm not looking for a totally amazing professional top of the line studio acoustic treatment, just something that's decent that will help treat the room.

Thanks!
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I would add panels suspended from the ceiling and panels angled in as many corners as you can manage. Get rid of the reflections from the ceiling and the nodes in the corners. : )
Thanks for the reply,

I wish I could put a bass trap in the front corner but i can't because the room door is blocking the corner sadly , and the other front corner has my dresser in it lol.

The only thing I could do is put a flat panel near the corner right next to the front door and another flat panel on the other side of the room next to the dresser at the other front corner for symmetry, which can work but it wont be directly fitted into the corner.
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Lose the dresser, reorient your gear in another part of the room where there aren't doors in the corners?
Whats wrong with the dresser? It's made of wood and it has mass. I guess your saying get rid of it so I can put a bass trap?
Old 27th December 2018
If anyone could give me insight on this before tomorrow morning that would be great cause im gonna buy mineral wool tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frocco ➡️
Honestly I don't know what that is.
Room EQ Wizard. It's free.
Old 28th December 2018 | Show parent
The 90$ microphone needed for it isn't free...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But it’ll be the best $90 you ever spend on the journey to improve your music-making.

Otherwise, you’re relying on guesswork. And all people can offer as advice down that route is “good luck”.
Quote:
That is correct but your time spent experimenting with panel placement isn't free, either.

Plus, I've heard ears are terrible tools due to psychology.
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

I wish I could put a bass trap in the front corner but i can't because the room door is blocking the corner sadly , and the other front corner has my dresser in it lol.

The only thing I could do is put a flat panel near the corner right next to the front door and another flat panel on the other side of the room next to the dresser at the other front corner for symmetry, which can work but it wont be directly fitted into the corner.
You can (and probably should) place bass traps in the corners where the ceiling meets the walls, particularly if your floor / furniture/ doorways arrangement prevents you from placing bass traps standing in corners. Get creative and place a fiberglass panel or two behind furniture. But the corners are a real opportunity and challenge for controlling the low frequency stuff.

Owens Corning 705 panels, wrapped in whatever low-cost fabric that you can clearly hear through (you can determine this by: hold it up to your ear, listen through it---does it sound mostly normal?) and then suspended from small hooks and low-cost ribbon can both look good and get you to your destination of sound treatment at a reasonable price tag.

Good luck with your efforts. I hope you are able to reach a suitable arrangement.
Old 29th December 2018 | Show parent
Ok, thanks for the response, what size panels would you suggest for the corner ceiling bass traps, and what thickness??
Old 30th December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the response, what size panels would you suggest for the corner ceiling bass traps, and what thickness??
2' x 4' x 2" panels. Or get 1" thick panels and stack them for two inch thick build if you want. In my 12' x 20' x 8' room, I have 16 similar panels in corners or suspended from the ceiling. It made a substantial difference in my space.

My theory behind suspended and placing panels at an angle is to provide a cavity behind the panels for more opportunities for sound waves to break up and become "trapped". Panels flat against a wall provide less opportunity for sound waves to become trapped. Anyway, that is the theory I was working with when I implemented my sound absorption strategy. It worked, FWIW.
Old 14th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Whats wrong with the dresser? It's made of wood and it has mass. I guess your saying get rid of it so I can put a bass trap?
I don't like it because it unbalances your stero image. It will create more reflections on one side. The other speaker has nothing on the left of similar mass.
📝 Reply