The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ceiling acoustic panels
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ceiling acoustic panels

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me with one little thing. I'm about to put few acoustic panels on the ceiling of my tracking, recording room. I don't have too many of them therefor I was wondering if it would be ok to have few inches of space betweeen them or if acousticaly it would be better to have them right next to each other?

Thank you for the help.

T.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 5th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund ➑️
He's asking about the live room, not control room. Same advice?
Old 5th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi ➑️
He's asking about the live room, not control room. Same advice?
Yes
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting. I wouldnt treat a live room with panels to begin with, but ive typically heard of having them spaced out around the room as it controls reverb time a bit better than having the same surface area in one spot. Also, dont you get a bit of diffusion thrown in with the alternating depth of surfaces? Also, how do you determine reflection points in a live room? Seems that would change with source a bit?
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ceiling above drum?
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Gorgeous room, and right in line with how ive always read a live room should be treated. So, i take it that having the gaps between the rigid panels risks having too short an ISD gap? Dependent on gap size, of course. So for that reason its best to keep them together if youre forced to use only a few panels of rigid insulation?
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. If you need absorption; treat the entire surface (that needs absorption), without gaps.

Use diffusers (real diffusers with enough depth and a shape that actually works ...) and/or pressure based absorbers (I prefer slotted panels (HH arrays), possibly with variable slot/gap width for some slight scattering) on areas that needs to be reflective above the model range.
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks everyone for the help. I have a clear picture now of what to do .
Old 11th September 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
If the problem is just general decay in the room I have had much better results with spreading them out. If you are looking to target a area, like for drum area and so on then no gaps.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…