The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor Placement
Old 22nd May 2018
Here for the gear

Monitor Placement

So I'm working on placing my reference monitors and I've come to a crossroads. Most information I find says that ideally you want your speakers to be anywhere from 47"-55" off the ground. At the same time most sources say that it's best to have the speakers lined up with the listening position on both a horizontal and vertical axis. My question is this, either people are really tall or sit in really tall mixing chairs because there's no way a speaker is going to be 47" off the ground and also pointed at the listening position without being angled. Should my speakers be angled down slightly towards listening position or firing just over my head I'm confused.

My speakers are BM6 MKIII's I have 42" tall stands and isoacoustic stands on top of these.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiah1 ➡️
So I'm working on placing my reference monitors and I've come to a crossroads. Most information I find says that ideally you want your speakers to be anywhere from 47"-55" off the ground. At the same time most sources say that it's best to have the speakers lined up with the listening position on both a horizontal and vertical axis. My question is this, either people are really tall or sit in really tall mixing chairs because there's no way a speaker is going to be 47" off the ground and also pointed at the listening position without being angled. Should my speakers be angled down slightly towards listening position or firing just over my head I'm confused.

My speakers are BM6 MKIII's I have 42" tall stands and isoacoustic stands on top of these.
I measure how far my ears are from the floor. My monitors’ manual recommends that my ears ideally should be midway between the center of the woofer cone and the tweeter. My chair is adjustable and I am comfortable with the seat height that puts me in that perfect spot. In other situations I’ve tilted monitors down or worked in rooms where the designer tilted the monitors down.
I think the 47” height is recommended to get above the meter bridge of a console. That isn’t how most people mix, so the advice may be dated.
I would not buy speaker stands that aren’t height adjustable.
ps I just measured that ear height again, and it is 47 inches. Which surprised me!
Old 22nd May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
different height of speakers may give you a somewhat different low frequency behaviour, depending on the room geometry/acoustics.
if your speakers measure/sound better somewhat higher off the floor, angle them down: have been doing this in my room with my tannoy 5.1 setup for years...
Old 22nd May 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks I guess it's just a place where you have to compromise depending on the situation. I just find the when the speakers are tilted down towards the sweet spot rather than straight on it ultimately makes your sweet spot much smaller than when the speakers are firing at your ears and past you.
Old 22nd May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
imo the benefits (in terms of 'even' frequency reproduction) of placement outweight any small potential deviation in the width of the listening angle that may occur with speakers being slightly tilted downwards: they still shoot at your ears (and we're not talking steep angles i assume?): i cannot perceive any difference in my room (and dozens of studios with in-wall mains) while i can clearly hear and measure a difference in sound when moving speakers up or down - in your case (and if you don't like angling), tipping them over might help! or simply use appropriate stands...
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Axis of......

Those recommendations seem vague. Speaker Height 47"-55" off the ground suggests a floor to bottom of the speaker height. Or is it from floor to top of speaker?

Most speakers and the ear exhibit best response when the acoustic axis of the speaker is pointed straight at, and the same height as the seated listeners ear. This is typically 47". Unfortunately in a typical 96" Height room.
The Acoustic axis would be where radiation from all the drivers combines best. Typically it is near the tweeter, but towards the MF a bit, and towards LF a little bit.
Some speaker manufacturers, e.g. Neumann, state where it lies.

In short, tweeter 48-50" should hit the spot.

DD
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
DanDan,
I think you started to say something about the effect putting the speakers at or near the ceiling/floor midpoint. Although that placement is often unavoidable, what are the issues?
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Boom

Placing the Woofer at a mid axis is one of the worst places modal. Placing it at two mid points often happens due to the desire for horizontal symmetry. This is the cause of the big hole in bass response we almost invariably see here.

DD
📝 Reply