ANUBIS - studio desk - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ANUBIS - studio desk
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
ANUBIS - studio desk

Hi!

This studio desk project is the most advanced project I've design.

Introduction:

This is my very first design that includes a theme. My goal was to improve my work even more during this design - So I have decided to incorporate a theme. Prove me wrong, but I never saw a studio desk with this kind of customization.

Theme is a visual essence of the desk that reflects the owner of the desk.

So...What is the theme? It's the EGYPT

For some of you, this is already some kind of weird stuff. How to incorporate an Egypt theme into a studio desk? Is this exciting? Honestly, when I heard about the Egypt - I was a sceptic in the first place, BUT I wanted to face this challenge!

My next move was to make some digging and find some inspiration to use. Next day I had everything I wanted to make this project unique!

Studio Desk Features:

• Electric height adjustment - (entire studio desk)
  • height display pilot with 4 memory sets
  • Electric sliding tray with Komplete Control S61 Keyboard
  • 28RU spaces
  • Fitted in Apple keyboard
  • cable management
  • all electric system are controlled through the pilots fitted into a desk or wireless through Bluetooth app.

Studio Desk Finish:

• Natural Satin Walnut veneer
  • Black gloss lacquer
  • Black leather with golden thread
  • Polished aluminium

List of the GEAR

On the Desk

• Mackie D8B
  • Akai MPC Touch
  • Native-Istruments Machine Studio
  • Native-Instruments Komplete Control S61 Keyboard
  • apple computer keyboard and Silver touchpad mouse
  • Imac 27” computer with
  • 2-27” monitors to sit on top of desk total of 3 screens

Rack Gear
  • Digi 003 rack mount Audio Interface
  • Dangerous D-Box
  • MOTU
  • 2 Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX 2600 dual channel Compressor Limiters with Gate
  • Tascam MX 2424 digital recorder
  • Tascam CD-RW 700
  • 2 Nandy PB48 Patch Bays
  • TC Electronics Finalizer Plus
  • Emu- Mo’ Phatt
  • Emu- Proteus 1000
  • 2- Furman Power Conditioners
  • Behringer PowerPlay Pro-8 Head Phone Amp

Speakers
  • 2 Behringer Truth 82031 with Sub Woofer (on stands)
  • 2 Fostex 6301B reference Monitors on Desk

Project Inspitarion:

ANUBIS is the Greek name of a god associated with mummification and the afterlife in ancient Egyptian religion, usually depicted as a canine or a man with a canine head.

Project Concept:

ANUBIS STUDIO DESK - Design based on the head of the ancient Egyptian god.

3D Visualisation:

Building process:

to be continued...

Last edited by Jarek S.; 30th March 2017 at 06:42 AM..
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
WOW! Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Wow

Amazing energy! A couple of Acoustic points for you.
Probably better to locate your speakers flush to screens.
Also be careful that your geometry including a realistic speaker location does not cause a destructive reflection.
Desktop Reflection Revealed

DD
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hell yes!

Oh, and listen to DanDan....
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years

Safety First!

Old 27th March 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Looks cool! ...But the post itself is solely advertising. Other posts of that kind are from DIY, hand made or amateur build, though it has value and purpose of posting the process and details.
So, "advanced" thing will be dog head side panels....again, maybe nice, but designing studio desk in 2017 is something more than replicating 35 years old console's look and drawbacks.
Old 27th March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
who_can Thanks for your comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_can ➑️
So, "advanced" thing will be dog head side panels....

If you believe that's the essence of my build, I will not argue with you, but I think you haven't read my post carefully. Simply, will say - Wait until the end of my work, check it again and THEN I will be more than happy to read your constructive criticism.
Old 28th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
"The most advanced studio desk ever made"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek S. ➑️
If you believe that's the essence of my build, I will not argue with you, but I think you haven't read my post carefully. Simply, will say - Wait until the end of my work, check it again and THEN I will be more than happy to read your constructive criticism.

Yes, I read your business commercial carefully and fully BEFORE posting. As well as this "hook" (IMHO):
"If you are interested what's so special about it - please follow this thread and enjoy the build."
Whatever "bells and whistles" - it would change nothing in my thesis.
But let me give a try: Is it rack units delivery / change system to the top facing surface ?
(No, is it whiskers?... just kidding ) )

🎧 10 years
Mod hat on:

Jarek S. - take it easy on the product advertising. Looks to me like you're just pimping your products and not doing much for the community.

FYI:

"2. You may not post solely to "push" your products/generate sales or drive traffic to your website. With the exception of posting press releases in the New Product Alert! subforum, starting threads elsewhere (for the purposes of selling, however masqueraded) - is forbidden. You may participate in user-generated discussions, obviously, and answer questions, this is encouraged!"

https://gearspace.com/board/faq.php?...q_dew_faq_item
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_can ➑️
But let me give a try: Is it rack units delivery / change system to the top facing surface ?
[

I'm sorry who_can, can you describe a bit more what's your point? Then, I will answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward ➑️
Mod hat on:

Jarek S. - take it easy on the product advertising. Looks to me like you're just pimping your products and not doing much for the community.

FYI:

"2. You may not post solely to "push" your products/generate sales or drive traffic to your website. With the exception of posting press releases in the New Product Alert! subforum, starting threads elsewhere (for the purposes of selling, however masqueraded) - is forbidden. You may participate in user-generated discussions, obviously, and answer questions, this is encouraged!"

https://gearspace.com/board/faq.php?...q_dew_faq_item

With all due respect Northward I fully understand the rule of all types of forums that advertising through the regular thread is forbidden.

Please - let me explain few important points. My first post on this forum was B&W Studio desk in 2013. In this thread, I have presented all details of my work. That thread was almost a picture-guide how to build a desk. B&W custom studio desk has now over 61K views and as far as I know forum community appreciate it through the comments.

After that I have posted Aurora studio desk, and desk for API32ch. Same story with pictures - nothing to hide. There was even one MOD of this forum - that kindly helped me with my website. Thank you Matt Thomas.

4 years past and I am still 1 man in my 30sq meters garage showing you guys a different approach to custom desk builds. That's my point. My only "employee" is my dog - always watching me working... because I can't afford for a regular employee - how is this advertising?

And now the best part: I am not even a carpenter!

The work you watching is made by 29 years old IT Technician and carpentry skill is something that I have learned because I wanted to design audio stuff.

So you don't need to be a pro carpenter - You need to have idea and will to make your design alive. That's my message for the GearSlutz community.

If you still believe that I am advertising, I am happy to delete the link below to my FB channel and post pictures without the mark, BUT don't throw me out just because I want to share my (different than others) designs.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
With all due respect Northward I fully understand the rule of all types of forums that advertising through the regular thread is forbidden.

Please - let me explain few important points. My first post on this forum was B&W Studio desk in 2013. In this thread, I have presented all details of my work. That thread was almost a picture-guide how to build a desk. B&W custom studio desk has now over 61K views and as far as I know forum community appreciate it through the comments.

After that I have posted Aurora studio desk, and desk for API32ch. Same story with pictures - nothing to hide. There was even one MOD of this forum - that kindly helped me with my website. Thank you Matt Thomas.

4 years past and I am still 1 man in my 30sq meters garage showing you guys a different approach to custom desk builds. That's my point. My only "employee" is my dog - always watching me working... because I can't afford for a regular employee - how is this advertising?

And now the best part: I am not even a carpenter!

The work you watching is made by 29 years old IT Technician and carpentry skill is something that I have learned because I wanted to design audio stuff.

So you don't need to be a pro carpenter - You need to have idea and will to make your design alive. That's my message for the GearSlutz community.

If you still believe that I am advertising, I am happy to delete the link below to my FB channel and post pictures without the mark, BUT don't throw me out just because I want to share my (different than others) designs.
Are you getting paid for this desk? I'm assuming yes.

As far as I know from your website, this is not only a "29 years old IT Technician and carpentry skill". You say you're not a pro carpenter but you have spent thousands in Festool equipment. That stuff is not cheap.

You're obviously selling something, so forgive me if I don't buy your spiel.

This is a business. With a website stating it clearly:

"Zolf Design provides custom design and building service with following products:

Studio Desks
Rack Units
Acoustic Panels
Loudspeakers"

All I'm asking is that you tone it down a few notches on branding and marketing hook vocabulary. If you don't I will delete the thread.

I understand there is a grey area, my company also provides studio desks as a side service to studio design - but I'll speak about it only if I'm asked a direct question by a forum user or the product is being discussed and something needs clarification.

You won't see me start threads and aggressively post about it.

If I ever decide to show the product on GS, it will be a press release in the "New Product Alert!" sub-forum.

There won't be further warnings.
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward ➑️
As far as I know from your website, this is not only a "29 years old IT Technician and carpentry skill". You say you're not a pro carpenter but you have spent thousands in Festool equipment. That stuff is not cheap.

I have spent few good years as a regular worker abroad to earn money for that tools and for my hobby - far before "Zolf Design" even exist and when I was building only loudspeakers... So this is only my hard work not a company deep pockets.

But I think I don't need to explain myself how I get those...

OK... There is no point to argue and I really don't want to fight with you guys.

I have changed my Introduction post in this thread - I hope now its OK. I won't be using any "commercial vocabulary hooks".

If you allow me to continue there will be just plain pictures from my building process.
Old 29th March 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey man I think it's awesome what you're doing, I really enjoy your work and appreciate you showing us your process. I can't wait too see the finished product.
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Veneer

Old 5th April 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi Jared,
I think you have a very interesting and creative project, and I am sure I am not the only forum member who admires the skills you are displaying here.
I think the moderator has over-reacted somewhat, and I invite him to review his adverse comments.
Kind regards,
John
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice woodworking skills no doubt, but I do agree with previous posters concerned about the acoustic performance of this desk. Diffraction around screens and reflection of that large (deep) surface in from of the monitors looks like problem to me.
Old 5th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund ➑️
Nice woodworking skills no doubt, but I do agree with previous posters concerned about the acoustic performance of this desk. Diffraction around screens and reflection of that large (deep) surface in from of the monitors looks like problem to me.

I will prepare few more 3D visual. to show desk parts in close view - It will be easier to talk about the acoustic performance.

Thanks anyways!
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years

Old 13th May 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Front panel - keyboard and trackpad fitting

Old 14th May 2017
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I, for one, find the build fascinating. I had no idea how much work and sweat went into building a custom console.

If the moderator wants to see self real aggrandizement you should read some of one person's posts on the mastering forum.
The only thing he doesn't say is "here is my phone number so you can call me for professional mastering" although I assume that is next.

FWIW
Old 17th May 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This time something more appealing to the eye - Anubis Rack cabinets - almost done.

Old 18th May 2017
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Beautiful workmanship. Looks like fine furniture, WOW~!!!
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Now everything gets more exciting. Finally, a delivery came from Denmark. This stuff will boost up this workstation. Videos coming soon

Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great job so far!

I'll just say, your first thread motivated me in DIY and carpentry! The Festool pieces are great! I completely suck at veneering and hate mdf, but I have some projects in the pipeline. Know that you're highly motivating to another 1 man shop in a 2 car garage!

Side note, did you order a base solution or are you designing your own? I found 1 company with a base that supports I believe 367 pounds, but I've been looking to see what the max solution is for desk bases.
Old 13th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikky ➑️
Great job so far!

I'll just say, your first thread motivated me in DIY and carpentry! The Festool pieces are great! I completely suck at veneering and hate mdf, but I have some projects in the pipeline. Know that you're highly motivating to another 1 man shop in a 2 car garage!

Side note, did you order a base solution or are you designing your own? I found 1 company with a base that supports I believe 367 pounds, but I've been looking to see what the max solution is for desk bases.

Thank U!

I'm glad that I can influence people to do some DIY in terms of Pro Audio. Good stuff!

I am cooperating with Linak company. Quality products and good support. Baselift I'm using can lift 150kg per piece.
Old 13th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thank U!

I'm glad that I can influence people to do some DIY in terms of Pro Audio. Good stuff!

I am cooperating with Linak company. Quality products and good support. Baselift I'm using can lift 150kg per piece.
Kool. Thanks for the info.

I was actually looking at ways I could hack a premade base in order to fabricate plywood that would slide as the height adjustment, but that was a few months ago and is now a project on the backburners.

I do have a few questions, but they are more woodwork related so I'll shoot a pm at some point.
Old 24th June 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Center front panel almost ready!

Big pic. pack! Enjoy

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6887/U3xa9s.jpg[/IMG

Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Electric sliding tray for Komplete Kontrol S61

[IMG]]http://imageshack.com/a/img923/1807/lEjNy9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 5th July 2017