DIY Bass Traps that work - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Bass Traps that work
Old 27th February 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
DIY Bass Traps that work

Hi Gearslutz!

I am moving into a new workspace in a couple of weeks where the room is totally untreated atm. I have an idea of how to deal with high and mid range frequencies in the room but when it comes to bass.. Im lost. I,ve read lots of different DIY "bass trap" solutions where people use mineral wool to what they claim help with the bass. But my understanding is that mineral wool will have little impact on lower frequencies, how much would be needed to actually have an effect? Ill try to cut to the chase a fast as possible. My question is. Is it possible to build an easy bass trap that actually helps to treat the low frequencies under 200 Hz or does it have to be a tuned base absorber, something like a Helmholtz resonator to actually have an substantial impact? I am not looking for a perfectly accurate room. I just want it to sound decent over the whole frequency spectrum. My thought is that standard absorbers are used to absorb high and midrange frequencies not specific frequencies. ( I understand these as well probably can be tuned depending on specific frequency problems) Does this not apply for bass frequencies? Can I build a bass trap that deals with a more "general" area? There are a ton of cheaper bass traps on the market but I have such a hard time buying that they would help! From what I've been taught you need really heavy duty absorbers to deal with the lows. I understand that there are almost countless factors playing a part when calculating acoustics but I'd just like to know for certain if a can get control over the bass or not on a budget. Would be so thankful for a response from someone with real knowledge on the subject!
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Google Studiotips Superchunk and Studiotips Corner Absorber.
Old 27th February 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My question is. Is it possible to build an easy bass trap that actually helps to treat the low frequencies under 200 Hz or does it have to be a tuned base absorber,
Basically if you use 4" of mineral wool and straddle the corner, it will work well below 200hz. This is our DIY product but you asked for something easy, so here you go!!
Do It Yourself Bass Trap and Acoustic Panel Frames
Old 27th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
Basically if you use 4" of mineral wool and straddle the corner, it will work well below 200hz. This is our DIY product but you asked for something easy, so here you go!!
Do It Yourself Bass Trap and Acoustic Panel Frames
Glenn,

Which of the absorptive materials that you offer here do you recommend as best for this sub-200hz trapping application?

Thanks.
Old 27th February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus ➑️
Glenn,

Which of the absorptive materials that you offer here do you recommend as best for this sub-200hz trapping application?

Thanks.
This would be my pick.
Knauf Insulation - GIK Acoustics
Old 27th February 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
ok, thanks.
Old 1st March 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks you so much for the help! Got to see the room today and I realize that I wont be able to place bass traps in two of the corners. What is a "go to" placement for a bass trap if the corner is not possible? I understand that this may vary but would be so grateful if someone could point me in the right direction!
Old 3rd March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alban123 ➑️
Thanks you so much for the help! Got to see the room today and I realize that I wont be able to place bass traps in two of the corners. What is a "go to" placement for a bass trap if the corner is not possible? I understand that this may vary but would be so grateful if someone could point me in the right direction!
All corners are good corners! You can also put bass trapping in upper ceiling to wall corners and floor to wall corners around the room. See the following and notice how we have Soffit traps in upper ceiling to wall corners around the whole room.
Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

What Glenn said, plus you can use this trick to hunt down bass hotspots in the room. Any bass hotspot is a good place to put a trap if you are able:

Video Testing for Corner Bass Trap Placement - GIK Acoustics
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Helping out with a build/ design of a mixing space.
The walls are all built and packed with insulation. Drywall going up soon.
Any thoughts on building and installing the corner traps before the drywall goes up? Good idea, bad idea?
Old 11th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySound ➑️
Any thoughts on building and installing the corner traps before the drywall goes up? Good idea, bad idea?
The drywall should go up first. Then install the acoustic treatment.
Old 12th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySound ➑️
How would you manage to put the drywall in place, behind the bass traps, if the bass traps are already there, in the way, blocking your access?

- Stuart .
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I know I know lol

I was just thinking if the idea of killing the corners before the drywall goes up would help out in anyway.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…