Quantcast
Treating apartment room for VO - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Treating apartment room for VO
Old 6th January 2017
Here for the gear

Treating apartment room for VO

Ahoy good people!

Right, let's keep it very simple and get to the point. I know you get a lot of these types of questions.

Recording voiceover in apartment. Need to sort out reverb and flutter for a good, neutral sound. Editing is primarily done with headphones and multitrack mixing is not an issue at this juncture, hence why I started this thread.

Here's a basic layout of the room. The measurements are roughly as follows: 11,5' wide, 15' deep,and a 10' concrete ceiling. Walls are thick plaster with a wavy face pattern. That northern opening leads into an uneven hallway and the front door. Plenty of clothes and furniture for diffusion in there. The bottom room is a small bedroom.

My microphone setup would be in the northeastern corner, aimed as the red arrow implies. This gives the least amount of outside noise from both neighbors and the outside world.

I have bass traps up in each corner-- man, flutter improved by a fair margin. But now I'm wondering what the best options are for overall treatment in the room. I've got plenty of acoustic foam in various sizes, but would prefer not cluttering the walls.

Would appreciate ideas on how to proceed with the 'decorating'.

PS: There are unfortunately no other options but the one I'm mentioning here.
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Cloud

There is not a lot of low bass in VO, but you do need to address mid and high reflection aggressively. For a standing vocal, the nearest boundary is the ceiling. Treat that very well. Here's one of my clients journey to VO nirvana. A very good sounding room for both vocals and instruments. MOR Sound | Mairead O'Reilly

DD
Old 8th January 2017
Here for the gear

DanDan, cheers for your reply.

Would it be remedied by a good sized rug down on the hardwood? The ceiling space is both high and large, and I'm unsure if the landlord would accept drilling or gluing. I'm thinking a reflection filter (which I already have anyway) would help on the chest height reflections, but treating the ceiling would be tricky. This is a living space, after all, and I'd prefer to avoid the slightly claustrophobic feeling one can get from some masterfully treated studios.

I am running on the hobo solutions atm. DIY with rock wool and home made frames are tricky options in my current situation.
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Reverb

If the ceiling is farther away from the mic and mouth, than the floor, certainly good acoustic carpet would be worth using. I think Reflection Filters are a bad joke. You can mount regular 100mm traps on mic stands or make a frame using PVC tubing (Plumbing). A bunch of these surrounding the talent will drop the room tone level nicely. If you go the PVC frame route it is easy to include an overhead absorber, which would prevent stimulating reverb up there.

DD
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This reminds me of a behind-the-scenes bit for the Discovery show Dirty Jobs. Mike Rowe did all his own VO work, and being on the road for filming, he rarely had access to a treated room to do the recordings.

So how did he do it? By making a tent from the hotel-room comforter, taking the mic under it and doing his lines.

If you're in an apartment with reduced ability to drill into walls (and non-ideal dimensions), I'd look into making a couple of poor man's gobos using thick blankets and pvc pipe. Not an ideal solution, but it worked for a fairly successful edutainment show.
Old 8th January 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➡️
If the ceiling is farther away from the mic and mouth, than the floor, certainly good acoustic carpet would be worth using. I think Reflection Filters are a bad joke. You can mount regular 100mm traps on mic stands or make a frame using PVC tubing (Plumbing). A bunch of these surrounding the talent will drop the room tone level nicely. If you go the PVC frame route it is easy to include an overhead absorber, which would prevent stimulating reverb up there.

DD
I agree and disagree on the filter. I think it can serve a purpose inside a treated room, but certainly not as a stand-alone piece.

The ceiling is certainly further away than the floor, and I'm not even a short guy. Will look into the rug options for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liko ➡️
This reminds me of a behind-the-scenes bit for the Discovery show Dirty Jobs. Mike Rowe did all his own VO work, and being on the road for filming, he rarely had access to a treated room to do the recordings.

So how did he do it? By making a tent from the hotel-room comforter, taking the mic under it and doing his lines.

If you're in an apartment with reduced ability to drill into walls (and non-ideal dimensions), I'd look into making a couple of poor man's gobos using thick blankets and pvc pipe. Not an ideal solution, but it worked for a fairly successful edutainment show.
Yeah, I used this in a previous home; built a triangular booth out of moving blankets and PVC pipes built into square frames. It ended up being a terrific space-hog with good sound.

A problem in this case is availability. I live in a metropolitan city without a car, and all the hardware stores are located out in the suburban areas. And even though I carried about 50ft of PVC pipe around 5 miles last time, I'm not really motivated to do it again.

If I can solve the acoustics with treated floors, that feels like the best option. I still want to use this place as a living space.

Cheers for your input. It does spark ideas.
Old 10th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➡️
. Here's one of my clients journey to VO nirvana. A very good sounding room for both vocals and instruments. MOR Sound | Mairead O'Reilly
DD
Did I miss something or is that perhaps the first site ever to promote their audio production expertise through room treatment without providing any sort of audio sample(s)? (Sorry if I appear to come off flippant - not my intent - just would be nice to hear what the extensively treated room sounds like).
Old 10th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd ➡️
Did I miss something or is that perhaps the first site ever to promote their audio production expertise through room treatment without providing any sort of audio sample(s)? (Sorry if I appear to come off flippant - not my intent - just would be nice to hear what the extensively treated room sounds like).
+1

Measurement graphs before/after and some audio samples, sometimes you need to see and hear to believe..
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If I use a shutgun mic like schoeps cmit 5u or ccm41 aimed looking down through my face into my chest, all I need is a couple of the 2x4 foot GIK acoustics 244 base traps behind me. So I think you can be in a crappy room with supercardoids and get a good recording without a lot of sound conditioning. On the other hand with a very high end cardoid mic like a u47 or m149, I swear it sounds fairly crappy in all but the best rooms. So before you spend more on "fixing" the room I'd test a few mics in your room and see if a supercardoid will work for your voice.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
VO

Shotguns, Schoesp, Sennheiser Condensers, are often used for V/O and on location. They work very well indeed.
I will relate the recommendation to include audio samples on that website, good point. Before and after measurements, are never published for commercial studios. In fact I have never seen even after measurements published.
Do note though, it is stated to be in compliance to EBU specs for a Critical Listening Room.
The Reflexion Filter 'joke' has been tested and exposed. http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/...e-vocal-booths
From the evidence here, I would have the opposite view on them being somewhat useful. i.e. When there is not treatment, better than nothing. In a treated room, quite capable of making the sound worse, as shown in the tests.

DD
📝 Reply