Quantcast
How much did your studio cost? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much did your studio cost?
Old 18th December 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
How much did your studio cost?

This is obviously a very broad question, with so many different answers. But Im curious for smaller project/home studios owners, how much did it cost you to build your vocal booth and put up walls, ceilings, floors, etc... Im in the process of building one that a contractor quoted me around $10,000 to drop a cieling, put up a few walls, build a booth, instal lights, instal floors, and paint 3 rooms.
Old 18th December 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Our Studio construction costed like... 200.000$ just on the building plus arround 40k on equipment
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
About 42 in facility. (Kept in basement seoerated from house. Way better in my neighborhood

Then let's add
Ok. 25 grand in actual analog gear

Then the. Computer is worth 4500 roughly with all legit plugs

Then cables which is easily 2 grand -32
Then monitors (HS8 nothing special ) about a grand with sub
Then auralex is about 3 grand Misc like 55" tv throug vfa 1100
About 15 grand in mics
2500 in guitars
About 1300 in amps
500 in stands

So right wothout tax

Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Orion ➑️
This is obviously a very broad question, with so many different answers. But Im curious for smaller project/home studios owners, how much did it cost you to build your vocal booth and put up walls, ceilings, floors, etc... Im in the process of building one that a contractor quoted me around $10,000 to drop a cieling, put up a few walls, build a booth, instal lights, instal floors, and paint 3 rooms.
Honestly... 10k is cheap if you are having someone else do it.

DIY is the best way to save money. Rent some tools, read a few books, and get to work. If you are handy, you can do a comparable job for much less.

Signatue Sound Studios in NY is a small studio by where I live in NY. They did their studio with no help and it turned out very good. They even built the studio desk and racks themselves.

My home studio cost me about 15k in construction, furniture, and acoustics. Every room is different though. Then in gear, more than I care to mention.
Old 18th December 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have all the gear covered, I was more curious about the construction costs for building a vocal booth or building soundproof walls.
Old 19th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have all the gear covered, I was more curious about the construction costs for building a vocal booth or building soundproof walls.
Which country (or state or near which city) are you in? Price will be dependent on supplies/location. Also the location will dictate how much money soundproofing will be needed to some degree. And size is a major factor in cost (how much sq footage.) And remember, soundproofing is just keeping sound in the room and sound outside of the room; there's a lot more to be spent making the actually room sound any good. You could create a great soundproof concrete bunker but there'll be unusable levels of slapback.
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In construction costs in Los Angeles, I haven't built a studio under $100k (that includes machine room and HVAC and all the electrical that goes along with it which often includes another subpanel.) That is on the cheap side. Most have been closer to $200k when you account for everything (lights, HVAC (dual and acoustically quiet), electricians, floated floors/walls, fire/safety.) I commonly tell people the weakest point in building a studio are the openings: doors and windows. You'll use up a lot of budget isolating those so if you can do without, you'll also save a lot. Less doors/windows the better.
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
In general, 3-5x what it would cost to build a room of that size using standard residential construction. Most contractors have never built a studio reguarless of what they tell you, or what they think is a studio. If the person does not have a portfolio of studio builds, it's a safe bet you'd be wasting your money, and be dissapointed with the final product. A basic mini split ac system is 3k so I'd start there.
Old 20th December 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
My studio is in my house so most of the cost was putting up walls and acoustics. The initial cost was 10K and I have sunk probably another 10K in the room and redoing the AC system. I am very happy with the results and I currently have a NC of 20 to 25 in my mastering studio with the AC running. I have a separate machine room/technical room that was constructed earlier by enclosing a screened in porch that I am not including in the cost but would add about another 3K to the cost. I am lucky that one of my really good friends is a retired carpenter who did most of the work.

FWIW
Old 20th December 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You're asking how much to build a vocal booth and do some other remodeling correct? I would get bids from a few different contractors if your not capable of dyi-ing it.

10k for a job complete with electrical doesn't seem so bad, unless it's 10x10 or something. There are many different thing that could make a job cheaper of more expensive, the lighting fixtures can be reasonable or stupidly expensive the nicer they look.

So many things go into bids. It's impossible to guess some random sized rooms on the internet.
Old 20th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd highlight again that location really affects cost. What something costs to do in Ohio or Oklahoma will be vastly different than NYC or LA (or worse, someplace like Hawaii) -- and that's just talking about the US.
Old 20th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➑️
I'd highlight again that location really affects cost. What something costs to do in Ohio or Oklahoma will be vastly different than NYC or LA (or worse, someplace like Hawaii) -- and that's just talking about the US.

Very good point! If you are in the US you might want to check out this website - - > Building-Cost.net -- free residential building cost calculator lot of helpful info.
Old 20th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
If you are in the US ...
It doesn't help when people don't include their location but my guess is that the OP is in the US because in other posts he has bought things in $ and he spells a lot as alot, just as a number of other Americans do.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Over here in Boston and Rhode Island, I did a comercial remodel for 100k (Normandy Sound) and I 900sqf in a mill with double walls and the mills heavy wood ceiling, and independent ceilings for the 2 booths for around 50k I did most of he work myself with a helper, it took about 1.5 years for the ground up, and the rebuild. and about a year, for the remodel. So labor wasn't a factor. A 900sqft home theater project I'm working on is about 25k in materials and 25k for labour. Although I did the studio centric stuff like caulking and stuff in the ceiling bays w 5/8" drywall.
Old 21st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight ➑️
It doesn't help when people don't include their location but my guess is that the OP is in the US because in other posts he has bought things in $ and he spells a lot as alot, just as a number of other Americans do.
That's why I figured 3-5x typical residential construction is safe. Lol then apply the rule of 3. 3x the time, 3x the money on top.

Last edited by Kyle P. Gushue; 21st December 2015 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Fat fingers, small phone
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The last I looked, in the US, the MODEST renovation of an existing structure, yielding a respectable studio environment will run from $175/sq ft to $250/sq ft.

But as has been pointed out, your location is going to be a HUGE factor.

You willingness and skill to take on any of the project yourself can save you serious costs.

I upfit an existing 30'x40' building and added on 30'x16' for a lounge, kitchenette, office and full bathroom 7 years ago.

Doing approximately 70% of the labor by myself, I saved well over $60k, just in labor costs, which I traded for a 2.5 year build out... (There's always an associated cost) It cost me a bit over $60k to build, but it's been appraised at just under $500,000.
Old 21st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaMdaM ➑️
The last I looked, in the US, the MODEST renovation of an existing structure, yielding a respectable studio environment will run from $175/sq ft to $250/sq ft.

But as has been pointed out, your location is going to be a HUGE factor.

You willingness and skill to take on any of the project yourself can save you serious costs.

I upfit an existing 30'x40' building and added on 30'x16' for a lounge, kitchenette, office and full bathroom 7 years ago.

Doing approximately 70% of the labor by myself, I saved well over $60k, just in labor costs, which I traded for a 2.5 year build out... (There's always an associated cost) It cost me a bit over $60k to build, but it's been appraised at just under $500,000.
You saved a fair amount of money on surface treatment by milling in planning the wood yourself right? I followed your build thread for a few years, I learned a lot from it.

Do you think the fact that it's a studio played into the appraisal, or do you think it was just based on how nice it came out, with the custom work and everything?
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
... how much did it cost you to build your vocal booth and put up walls, ceilings, floors, etc..
approximately 174 litres of blood, sweat and tears... not sure about the proportions when all mixed together ... the money spent was outrageous but maybe not significant in comparison..
Old 24th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
he spells a lot as alot, just as a number of other Americans do.
Hey!

"Alot" is not American! It's just bad English!
Old 24th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmetal ➑️
You saved a fair amount of money on surface treatment by milling in planning the wood yourself right? I followed your build thread for a few years, I learned a lot from it.

Do you think the fact that it's a studio played into the appraisal, or do you think it was just based on how nice it came out, with the custom work and everything?
Essentially, it's a combination of both... But, the greater factor is the actual construction... Floating slabs, independent rooms, the mass and the entirety of the details... and THEN the aesthetic value of how it all came together.
Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Structural Materials Basic Rough Estimate Example

Hey I just started a new design gig (potentially) and the person had the obvious question of 'how much'. Well that depends.... Lol.

Anyway to get a starting point I gave some rough numbers based on the area he has alloted to the build. The rough is stuctural only, and based on two rectangles, divided by one double wall assembly. The area is in a basement. Again a very primitive cost sheet, but intended as a starting point of conversation. All based on building supply costs from a big box, in Massachusetts. Anyways thought it might be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg   How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg   How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg   How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg   How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg  

How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg   How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg   How much did your studio cost?-image.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Would love to hear from more folks about their costs!

For those of us going the DIY route, wouldn’t that present issues in getting a construction permit? Do they require licensed contractors?

Would live to diy my project, but I am worried about the ceiling framing, i feel like I would be worried about it collapsing on me!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac660 ➑️
... issues in getting a construction permit? Do they require licensed contractors?
It depends on where in the world you are, as mentione above a few times.

Hint: at least put an approximate location in the location field in your profile.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It depends on where in the world you are, as mentione above a few times.

Hint: at least put an approximate location in the location field in your profile.
Oakland, CA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac660 ➑️
Oakland, CA
so, you'll have a lot of building codes to address including seismic and depending where in the city, and you'll need liability / fire / destruction insurance. building and personal security capabilities. and likely you may need an architect of record if you're in the city proper.

not sure how messed up the building code dept there is, but the experiences with the building committee in NYC are typically heinous at best, so helpfully they're better there...

if you're not able to do it yourself, then as Kyle and others have suggested 3-5x normal construction costs because of increased amounts of materials and associated labor. if you can do the labor, then figure 50% lower labor costs. for certain tasks you'll likely need a licensed person to sign off, and definitely a building dept sign off.

most times, paying professionals who have experience and proper project oversight - the time frame can be significantly shortened. otherwise factor in time-money (e.g. you sign a 5 year lease, and it will take 2 years to complete the build by yourself - so plan on 2 years of no return on your investment while it's being built, and only 3 years of operation before you must renegotiate the lease if you're staying, or teardown and move if you're leaving).

do not proceed without a lease or full ownership and pay attention to termination clauses because i've had a couple of people in CA get shafted by owners once their studio was built (e.g. oh, this is nice, my friend is going to really like this, you're being evicted...)
πŸ“ Reply