The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nuendo 6.5 adding extra length to exported audio...
Old 10th November 2014
Deleted 2a54282 🎙️
Nuendo 6.5 adding extra length to exported audio...

Hey all,

(This seems to affect Nuendo, Cubase version going back to version 6 for both.)

Ran into a very strange problem in Nuendo 6.5. Basically, if I have a loop, and I export locked to a grid (Bars & Beats), when I re-import that loop the imported audio is actually slightly larger / longer than the original export markers. I've now calculated this to be exactly 1 sample.

Here is an image of what the re-imported audio looks like - notice that it extends over the 17th bar line, where the export was exactly to the 17 bar line. (Note: Snap to zero is off!)

http://i.imgur.com/dQmAYEt.jpg

This is for a 24-bit / 48K export, uncompressed .wav. Also happens with 16-bit, 44.1, etc.

For scale - that extra little bit is only about 1 sample (extremely short - I am zoomed in to max in that image). This perhaps doesn't seem like a big deal, except, for the project I'm on, which is gaming related - loops of varying lengths - all locked to a tempo - are looping alongside each other often hundreds (or thousands, depending) of times, over and over. Everytime it loops, that mismatch becomes larger - and even more amplified if an extremely short loop is looping alongside a much longer one.

You can also see the problem when looking at file size. For instance - the full length of the track is about 2:50 - or 48,002KB (at 48K - 24bit). A loop exactly 1/4 the size is 12,002KB. When I multiply 12,002 by 4 I get 48,0008 - 6 bytes larger than the full loop. Which is evidence that each export is adding a fixed amount of space - in this case 2 bytes.

I have tried literally everything to figure out why this is happening (audio card, drivers, buffer, sample rate, snap to zero off (lol), export format, etc.) Always the same thing. About to try an experiment in Cubase, but curious if anyone else has run into this problem - or perhaps it's a known issue with Nuendo 6.5.

Thanks for any help in this matter!

EDIT 1: Confirmed in Cubase 7.5 as well - adds the same few samples extra to the exported audio. Checking Nuendo 6...
EDIT 2: Confirmed in Nuendo 6. Image of exported file exceeding exported markers (ruler is in samples): http://i.imgur.com/g7wvJwb.jpg Looks like it's exactly 1 sample long.
📝 Reply