Quantcast
Stick with Cubase 5 or go for 7.5 Artist? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stick with Cubase 5 or go for 7.5 Artist?
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Stick with Cubase 5 or go for 7.5 Artist?

If you had the choice, would you stick with Cubase 5 (full version) or go for Cubase 7.5 Artist (with the limitations it comes with vis a vis the full version).

I don't have the budget to upgrade to the full blown Cubase 7.5 right now and was wondering whether to stick or twist. It's hard to get a feel for the relative advantages of each and am hoping someone with a bit of hands on experience of both could give me some advice...

thanks!
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I should add - my Cubase 5 projects would all load with no problems if I upgraded...right?
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You might want to take a look at the detailed comparison PDF first to make sure you didn't use anything in C5 that Artist doesn't have access to, in which case your old sessions would be affected:
Comparison Chart

I quickly switched to the full version after starting out with Artist when I realized that you can't do certain simple things like use panning to FX sends!
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
ouch! yes, that's what i was thinking, more advanced version but at the same time a cutdown version possibly missing essential features. I'm going to take a good look at that comparison chart. I did check one out but it wasn't as detailed. It's still tricky though, comparing cubase 5 full to 7.5 artist.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One thing that may not show in a comparison chart that may be important is overall improvement to the VariAudio "engine". Steinberg has claimed this somewhere in their site, and independent users have confirmed (SOS author in the most recent edition, e.g.).

Not referring here to the fact you can put multiple voices on one screen/do harmonies, etc., rather to the quality of vocal processing itself. That's the main reason I am moving up to C7 when I get my new rig.

Hope that is helpful!
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Make sure you know and understand about all the huge bugs and flaws of 7.x before "upgrading" - chances are you'll fall in love with 5 again after testing 7.x. It hardly qualifies for beta status even now, 1 1/2 year after its release.
5.5 has the best performance yet of all post-SX3 versions, no contest.
6.5 has the best bug/features/performance ratio yet imho, very mature, no big showstoppers and a pretty complete feature set.
Right now 7 is lightyears from catching up, and if you look closely, most of the new features are either not fully thought out from the user perspective, still incomplete or plain buggy.
And performance seems to be very hit and miss, in my own benchmarks it was roughly on the same level as 6.5 (only with ASIO guard on, or it wouldn't have had a chance), most others report vastly inferior performance.
I don't care anymore, 6.5 is near perfect, wake me up when the major bugs in 7 have been fixed or when it's time to jump ship altogether.
just saying, ymmv,
Rhino
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
If that's the case, then it makes no difference whether I upgrade to Artist or the full version, I would simply be better off staying put. That's something I hadn't considered... I was worried about getting left behind by leaving it too long to upgrade, but perhaps I need to wait for 7 to be properly sorted out. One thing I value above all is stability in my system.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
All I'm saying is do your homework, ymmv.
A bit of reading in this forum here will be a good start, once you have collected a rough list of poisonous ingredients you can do a specific search @ steinberg.net.
Mind you, the critical threads there seem to hide from open daylight or disappear altogether for mysterious reasons, must be the climate or something.
Rhino
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutit ➑️
If that's the case, then it makes no difference whether I upgrade to Artist or the full version, I would simply be better off staying put. That's something I hadn't considered... I was worried about getting left behind by leaving it too long to upgrade, but perhaps I need to wait for 7 to be properly sorted out. One thing I value above all is stability in my system.
The best thing will be to try out, you can download the Cubase 7.5 Trial.

Trial

Only then you will be able to make your own opinion and do not get influenced by other experiences.
Other users are more than happy with the new features and don't have any problems with it whatsoever.

Best regards,
GN
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Cheers, I think I will give that trial a bash. The only thing is, there's no way I can spring for the full package and what I'm really interested in is seeing how Artist feels, I've studied the differences in detail and I'm still not sure whether the limitations are going to be a hindrance or whether I can happily live with them.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

The Installer is the same, I am not completely sure as I have a special license. But it should ask you if you want to open Cubase 7.5 or Cubase Artist 7.5 every time you launch the application.

Best regards,
GN
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is it possible to purchase Cubase 5.5 anywhere at all? Especially since it's een mentioned a few times above that C5 is super stable. I've been using C4 since it came out.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach ➑️
Is it possible to purchase Cubase 5.5 anywhere at all? Especially since it's een mentioned a few times above that C5 is super stable. I've been using C4 since it came out.
Unfortunately not, at least not from us directly, perhaps you can find a second hand version online.
Although you can purchase a higher version and with that license run Cubase 5.5.
E.g. you can purchase a Cubase 7.5 or Cubase 6.5 license and run Cubase 4 or Cubase 5 with the same license.

The upgrade from Cubase 4 to Cubase 7.5 is available at our online shop:

Buy now

Best regards,
GN
πŸ“ Reply