Quantcast
Cubase 5 32-bit: 200 Audio Tracks+4GBRAM = Hard Disc Spikes/Glitche - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 5 32-bit: 200 Audio Tracks+4GBRAM = Hard Disc Spikes/Glitche
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Cubase 5 32-bit: 200 Audio Tracks+4GBRAM = Hard Disc Spikes/Glitche

hello everyone,

i'm working on windows7 (64-bit) with cubase 5.5.1 32-bit... 6GB RAM... Cubase and Windows on C: Samsung HD103SJ and Audio Source on Disc D: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

audio interface: rme multiface II, I'm using 512 or 1024 latency

I'm working on a huge project with nearly 200 audio tracks, no midi or VST instruments... everything is bounced to audio, 24-bit... i'm using a lot of plug-ins...
my problem: I get disc-glitches... audio won't play smoothly...
do you think I can improve the situation by changing the hard disc set-up?

Changing my C: System (Cubase) Hard Disc to SSD would be good?! But I have to install everything new and I don't have the time for it...

Changing D: (where I store my audio tracks and the project folders) to a faster Hard Disc? does it improve the performance when I switch the disc to a SSD?

Mmmmh, I guess the best try woould be to upgrade to cubase 64-bit?
Can I install another cubase version (let's say cubase 6 64-bit) simultaneously on my system? (the cubase version that supports 64-bit is cubase 6 and 7, right?)

do you think I can add-install the 64 bit versions of some plug ins I'm using and cubase 5 (32bit) and cubase 6 (64bit) would work without compromises (of course, I don't want to run both versions simultaneously

thanks for your help and recommondations.

best wishes,
michael

memory usage via task manager is about 4GB... in Cubase the ASIO meter level (F12): Disc is spiking a lot (100%, red) and CPU only 20%...
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why don't you just bounce some stems? I assume with a project that large, you are mixing to subgroups. Just bounce some of those subgroups to stereo tracks.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
no you don't have to reinstall everything swapping to ssd just use the cloning software (or migration software as they call it )to clone you drives and all is good , i bought acronis true image to keep my daw cloned and cloning to an ssd was a breeze !
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go 64 Bit but add 10 GB of RAM

If you have a larger buffer size use the biggest available. Freeze tracks that have no VST automation.

Also make sure before you upgrade to 64 Bit that the Plug Ins are available in 64 Bit. Some will still work fine (Altiverb for example) but others may be flaky.

64 Bit drivers will be installed to the 64Bit directory anyway and you can tell Cubase which folders you want it to look in for your plug ins both 32/64.

You may still find some small programming issues (in my case BFD stops Cubase quitting in 64 Bit) but I think you will benefit from the bigger memory.
A word of caution though, in my own case it took a couple of weeks for everything to work in 64 Bit after some annoying problems, so make sure every update is the latest of everything, iLok etc included.

Best regards

Andy
Old 29th January 2013
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
Get a 10.000 RPM Raptor drive or an SSD for audio. Copy the project there.
Open the project from the new drive. Cubase will ask whether it should open the files from the old or new location. Choose new. Done. Add tracks at will.
A 7200 RPM drive has trouble handling more than 150-180 tracks, since the fuller it gets, the slower the access. A 10k and SSD has a much higher access time, and handle a lot more tracks (SSD over 1000).
Note that an SSD wears off over time for every write pass of the cells, so a backup after every session is highly recommended (but that counts for normal HDDs as well).
Old 29th January 2013
Deleted User
DAW PLUS, great post!!
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
In Nuendo 4 I am able to have the audio split across 2 different hard drives (7200 RPM) over 200 tracks has not been a problem ---Dont know if cubase will allow this. try right clicking on track and set audio folder for each track -
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
@all
thanks for helping out!

@dawplus
that's exactly what I'm after! thanks!

So the question is:
A) Western Digital VelociRaptor (HD with 1.000 rpm)
B) Samsung SSD 840 Pro (SSD)

To get the full benefit of it, do I have to buy an SATA 3 Interface?
ASUS U3S6, 2x USB 3.0/2x SATA 6Gb/s, PCIe 2.0 x4 Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

My motherboard: Asus P6TD deluxe

Someone with Hardware-DAW-Nerd Skills out there?

Thanks!!!

Best wishes,
mika
Old 30th January 2013
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
It is a price/performance thing. Both will be fast enough, even with SATA2.
The raptor will be louder, but offers more space than an SSD for the same price.
You don't need a SATA3 controller for recording/mixing, maybe when loading many sample libraries at the same time like VEPro does.
The ASUS card has a crappy Marvell controller which does 400MB/s at best, or 200MB/s *per port* when 2 SSDs are connected. Not really SATA3....
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
thanks for your advice... with the wd raptor I get more space/lower price but the transfer rate is max. 180 MByte/s... ssd ca. 270 MByte/s...
I don't know, are the 100 MByte/s more (SSD) worth it?
Can you estimate if this really is more speed (=more audio tracks)?
thanks again for your kind explanations! appreciate it...
Old 31st May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ive had this issue as well and this forum has been really helpful. So it seems the SSD upgrade will help. Isn't the fundamental issue that he's running cubase in 32 bit which means his 64 bit operating system can only access 4GB RAM? I have 16GB RAM and still have these issues and i'm guessing that its mainly because cubase can only access a quarter of my computers RAM. If I upgrade to cubase 7 (am contemplating this), cubase should be able to handle massive projects with 16GB ram right? Or will my magnetic hard drive still cause these similar issues? Wondering which is the best course of action for me - cubase 7 running in 64 bit or a big SSD drive (I am running Komplete 9 Ultimate as well as over stuff) Cheers all (p.s. i'm relative newbie so apologies for any schoolboy errors)
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
add ram man
πŸ“ Reply