Just tried C7 today and ... OMG - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just tried C7 today and ... OMG
Old 7th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp ➡️
Cubase use to look, feel and function as a Pro piece of music software.
Most of us Pro users have held off using Pro Tools just because Cubase is a joy and stable as hell.
Cubase 7 ? A toy. Fruity Loopish. Mixer is a big dark blurry clickfest. Great for you bedroom guys and beat makers, so have at it.
And yes Steinberg should include a 10 gig violin with every purchase of 7.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Cubase use to look, feel and function as a Pro piece of music software.
Most of us Pro users have held off using Pro Tools just because Cubase is a joy and stable as hell.
Cubase 7 ? A toy. Fruity Loopish. Mixer is a big dark blurry clickfest. Great for you bedroom guys and beat makers, so have at it.
And yes Steinberg should include a 10 gig violin with every purchase of 7.
Pros usually have a great DAW controller, so who cares for the clickfest.
I have to admit though, that on several occasions using the new mixer window I wished to have the old one back (you have to open the "channel settings" window just to reverse phase on a single channel? WTF?) , maybe Steinberg should have kept it as an additional option.

But before I think about wining on GS about the oh-so-bad design decisions that have been made to please the oh-so-hated bedroom noob, I would really give it a try first in depth and try to figure out if the pros of the newly added options and features (like having an overview for all inserts and sends on every channel) will compensate for the cons.
Switching DAW because you don't like the looks of the color scheme is far from being "professional" imho. Sounds more like a hipster diva to me: "OMG, how can you use this, it's sooo eighties!"...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 ➡️
(you have to open the "channel settings" window just to reverse phase on a single channel? WTF?) , maybe Steinberg should have kept it as an additional option.
Incorrect:

http://i.imgur.com/d2cdFDt.jpg
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai handberg ➡️
Ah, thanks! That was what I meant writing "I will give it a try in depth before start wining here" - should have stick to that more strictly

Didn't find it, because there is no "pre" section in my mixer view - have to admit that I didn't really look too hard to find out how to bring it up...
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ah, thanks! That was what I meant writing "I will give it a try in depth before start wining here" - should have stick to that more strictly

Didn't find it, because there is no "pre" section in my mixer view - have to admit that I didn't really look too hard to find out how to bring it up...
Still, I think this was a stupid move from SB. Its a fundamental thing in mixing, it should be easy to reach for in every window, and it should look the same everywhere. Just a stupid change they made for no reason.
Old 7th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It's actually quite excellent, this ability to declutter the whole thing. I get to see exactly what I need in the different stages of the process.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's actually quite excellent, this ability to declutter the whole thing. I get to see exactly what I need in the different stages of the process.
I want to see the phase button, and to do that in mixerview I need to bring up and expand the pre section including eq, gain... pretty cluttered for such simple and once again, fundamental mix (console) thing and its hided by default ?¿
Old 7th March 2013
I like that there are 4 customisable presets in the mixer, is there a hotkey to go between them?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I cant believe we're on the most popular technical forum for music technology and people are crying like little babies over the colors. Even changing the entire way they work - over the COLORS!

I was having a chuckle over that too.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase ➡️
I want to see the phase button, and to do that in mixerview I need to bring up and expand the pre section including eq, gain... pretty cluttered for such simple and once again, fundamental mix (console) thing and its hided by default ?¿
Yes, it is. You do that once. Deal with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda ➡️
I like that there are 4 customisable presets in the mixer, is there a hotkey to go between them?
Yeah, this is a great idea. I could not find anything about it in the keycommands - but I will investigate and report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
I was having a chuckle over that too.
You know, the real irony of it is - it works better; in use.
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have to deal with it Just think its strange that I need to show eq, gain aswell for making the phase button show, it makes the mixer cluttered (for me) Maybe its possible to just Bring in the phase with one of the 4 custom views?
kdp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After 20 years with Cubase.
Lovin' PT 10.
You guys can sort this little cartoon of a mess out. I'll check back in a few years.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
After couple of great years with Cubase,I am leaning towards Studio one,the C 7 for me is a mess ,also OSX is not made for it yet.Still trying to like and work but more and more looking and working on S1.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have to deal with it Just think its strange that I need to show eq, gain aswell for making the phase button show, it makes the mixer cluttered (for me) Maybe its possible to just Bring in the phase with one of the 4 custom views?
Yup. Just tried it. See if that works for you!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yup. Just tried it. See if that works for you!
Ok, how do you do that without bringing in the pre section into the mixerview? (HI/LO pass and gain adjustment)?
Old 8th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The phase reverse is part of the pre section so that does not seem possible.
Old 8th March 2013 | Show parent
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Lovin' PT 10.
You guys can sort this little cartoon of a mess out. I'll check back in a few years.
The phrase "you can't please all of the people all of the time" is so apt for DAW's. SB will simply loose some and gain others.

Personally I love the new mixer in Cubase 7, the functionality is superb and it has increased my workflow enormously, I have already adapted to the point I feel lost on the mixer in 6.5!

However I feel for those that don't like this new direction, and in that case it's good there are other DAW's to migrate to. I came from using Logic for 20 years to Cubase.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
The phrase "you can't please all of the people all of the time" is so apt for DAW's. SB will simply loose some and gain others.

Personally I love the new mixer in Cubase 7, the functionality is superb and it has increased my workflow enormously, I have already adapted to the point I feel lost on the mixer in 6.5!

However I feel for those that don't like this new direction, and in that case it's good there are other DAW's to migrate to. I came from using Logic for 20 years to Cubase.
Overall, for producing, I think Cubase is one of the most powerful DAWs, imo the mediabay itself is enough reason heh, and I like many of the C7 features (coming from 6.0.7) but still Im a little worried about SB focus Hiding essential features, bringing in crap like pictures of microphones etc... I mean we have colour coding, naming tracks (obvious), track number... do we really need a picture too to understand whats on the track??? Whats next, a voice telling me whats on the track everytime I click on it?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Overall, for producing, I think Cubase is one of the most powerful DAWs, imo the mediabay itself is enough reason heh, and I like many of the C7 features (coming from 6.0.7) but still Im a little worried about SB focus Hiding essential features, bringing in crap like pictures of microphones etc... I mean we have colour coding, naming tracks (obvious), track number... do we really need a picture too to understand whats on the track??? Whats next, a voice telling me whats on the track everytime I click on it?
But the good thing is: You don't have to use this feature (isn't it deactivated by default?). My Mixer doesn't show any instrument icons.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But the good thing is: You don't have to use this feature (isn't it deactivated by default?). My Mixer doesn't show any instrument icons.
Yes I know, its not a big deal, and as I said I love C7 anyway, but even thinking of the idea to bring in pictures which is easier to access in the project window than a very much essential tool as phase reverse function makes me wonder. But I´ll stop now Its even more stupid to do phase shift in PT so...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still have PT 10, S1, Reaper, DP 8 and C7 all lined up here on my MAC PRO and i only use C7 now for everything

stable for me, love love love the new mixer and workflow and all the other goodies Cubase provides, plus how good it is with VSTi's etc

and i need nothing else at all, heck i use pitch correct and vari audiop now ando not melodyne anymore

even the stock plugs and channel strips add ins are great

i can do a whole song with only cubase now without issue

and i NEVER had that before with any other version of it.

to each their own though. PT, DP, S1 all are cool
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Lovin' PT 10.
When PT is dead....only kidding...well...

Sent from my GT-N7105T
Old 26th August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have hated the cubase
Mixer for years. It's always been so ugly and looked too much lik a computer program.
I want my mixer to look and act like a real mixer.
C7 is a HUGE upgrade to the mixer.
Finally.
It looks sleek and minimalistic while still providing every possible feature.

I have no idea what the gripes are about.
I hope steinberg doesn't mess it all up because of this poor feedback.

C7 has been awesome. I finally feel like I am in a studio and not on my computer.

Edit: I also think steiny is looking forward to touch screens being en vogue.
Anyone notice the height of the faders on the mix console?
Also you now finally have a decent looking "meter bridge" if you dedicate a screen to the mixer.
Everyone who has been in my studio since upgrading has been impressed with the look of having a screen with nice metering.

Last edited by elephantsize; 26th August 2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 27th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Loving Cubase 7 here. It just works for me the way I want a DAW to work. I use 2 monitors and never have a problem. YMMV of course
Old 28th August 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Cubase 7 COULD be great.

Right now it's a buggy mess.

I find it unusable.

It uses a lot of processing power much more than 6.5

If I were looking into getting a DAW I would NOT choose Cubase 7 (yet)

This is coming from a 10+ year Cubase user and owner of C7.

It's just not ready. BUY PRO TOOLS 10 (not 11) and forget Steinberg for now.

Hopefully 7.5 will make us all happy again.
Old 30th August 2013 | Show parent
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings ➡️
I'm on the fence;

I don't like the dark look either, but the mixer is now so much more flexible to use than the C6 version. There's a lot of power under the hood, there. All Steinberg needs to do is give us more color options...
Colour options are a good idea. If you don't like the dark just be thankful you're not a logic x user where it's just unbearably funeral like and depressing.
Old 1st September 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I really love cubase.

Using it since SX version, more than 10 years ago.
I kinda hated when i updated to 7 and had to deal with the new mixer but today, i'm finding it very usefull and speedup my workflow a lot. What I'm hating about C7 is the (big) list of small issues, specially with the new mixer. This new bug with 7.05 that increase the font size of the channel names is driving me crazy, but steinberg is being really nice with the updates and it's already solved in 7.06.

I agree that steinberg need a new UI designer. There are some terrible things about the new mixer that i don't like (UI wise), but it doesn't keep me away from C7!

PG
Old 2nd September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've been quite curious about the newest version of Cubase to use as my workstation as I've done mainly all my work on the previous versions! Is it worth the upgrade?
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducedbyRegg ➡️
I've been quite curious about the newest version of Cubase to use as my workstation as I've done mainly all my work on the previous versions! Is it worth the upgrade?
Right now NO.

I'd wait till at least 7.0.6 or 7.5 is released.

I've used Cubase for 10 years and I'm discouraging as many people as possible to not upgrade especially if you're working in 6.5 and it's reliable.

I've not found C7 to be worth what I paid in upgrade cost yet ($250)

7.0.6 comes out later this month. Wait till users in this and the Steinberg forum give more feedback and if anymore strange bugs arise. Right now the font issue in the mixer is BAD.

Performance is much worse for me than 6.5 or any previous versions of Cubase I've ever used. They need to fix this ASAP. Gimmicks and extra features are worthless if many users still suffer from dropouts, spikes, lagging, and crashes.
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman ➡️
Right now NO.

I'd wait till at least 7.0.6 or 7.5 is released.

I've used Cubase for 10 years and I'm discouraging as many people as possible to not upgrade especially if you're working in 6.5 and it's reliable.

I've not found C7 to be worth what I paid in upgrade cost yet ($250)

7.0.6 comes out later this month. Wait till users in this and the Steinberg forum give more feedback and if anymore strange bugs arise. Right now the font issue in the mixer is BAD.
I will have to disagree with this point. It might be affecting some users but many others with different workflows and dual monitor setups on different zoom levels and resolution are not complaining about the big font in the mixer. (Still it will be modified for 7.0.6)

Quote:
Performance is much worse for me than 6.5 or any previous versions of Cubase I've ever used. They need to fix this ASAP. Gimmicks and extra features are worthless if many users still suffer from dropouts, spikes, lagging, and crashes.
Yes, Cubase 7 is heavier with the CPU and requires more resources as Cubase 6.5, but this can be solved enabling and disabling the ASIO-Guard accordingly.

Best regards,
GN
📝 Reply