Quantcast
If you own Cubase or Nuendo, and if either one hangs on exit... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you own Cubase or Nuendo, and if either one hangs on exit...
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure if this will help you...
Cubase 5 (sorry I didn't use C6) would hang on exit (or even just closing the current session but keeping Cubase open) pretty much 100% of the time for me until I discovered this workaround:

1. Save your session.
2. Make a change e.g. move a part on the arrange page.
3. Select the File menu and choose Exit (do not exit Cubase by clicking the X button).
4. When asked if you want to save, choose no.

Once I started following this procedure, I would almost never have an issue. I have now been running C7 (since the day it came out) and have had no hangs/crashes of any kind since I installed it so this issue has gone away for me.
Old 5th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q ➡️
1. Save your session.
We can stop there. The hang occurs when there has been no session opened. Launch Cubase - do not do anything - close Cubase, hang. Therefore, doing anything within an open session is not the cure.

Cheers.
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have a year old PC but my dongle is 8 years old. The motherboard has a selection of different usb bus types USB 2.0, 3.0 and 2.0 Powered. The dongle only works in the USB 2.0 ports. I am certain you will "yep" to this thought as well but the bus type is not mentioned in your list.

I have had crashing on exit problems in the past. I have always attributed these crashes to particular projects though and to certain plugins.

If Cubase crashed consistently on exit on a PC of mine, knowing that many people do not suffer this problem, I would immediately be thinking driver and hardware compatibility issues. I would then strip/replace/immobilise drivers and hardware until I found the culprit. If I could not find anything I would then be thinking I had an incompatible motherboard. Time to replace it.

I have done this. I once had a Dell laptop and despite being high spec it would glitch and drop out. I did everything and reached the conclusion it was never going to work properly. One test with the dpc latency checker proved the point and the laptop was replaced.

You seem obsessed with this problem. I am sure you have a genuine issue which is definitely related to your hardware/driver set up. I also think that it is impossible for Steinberg to guarantee that their software/hardware will work on every combination of hardware out there. If this issue irritates you as much as it seems to then replacing your PC with one that is widely known to be compatible is your only option.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat ➡️
Thanks for your offer. If you can see the dongle while sitting at your kbd, I'd be happy to take you up on that - send me an email to jeffh at jeffreyhayat dot com

Thanks!
Sorry, i cant see the dongle while sitting down at my DAW, it's connected at the back of my PC.
Old 5th March 2013
Deleted fe72b38
I NEVER get a crash on exit.

As long as I close the project first, then close Cubase, which I do via the "Windows key + Q" short cut.

The important thing appears to be closing the project then closing the app.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
I NEVER get a crash on exit.
I NEVER get a crash on exit either.
Deleted User
Quote:
We can stop there. The hang occurs when there has been no session opened. Launch Cubase - do not do anything - close Cubase, hang. Therefore, doing anything within an open session is not the cure.

Cheers.

I didnt know this was an issue to be honest. I usually OPEN a project or create a NEW Project when I open Cubase. Im sure youve done this since youve talked to a few people www.steinberg.net • View topic - How do I report a problem with Cubase [bugbase]

You can continue to bang the drum bro, they aint gonna fix it and no one here is going to be able to help as you already have it figured out. They have bigger fish to fix like the current C7
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yep.

That is the one thing I have not yet tried. Been wanting to, but been busy. Tho, as you pointed out, there are so many people with this issue... if I did install a clean copy of Windows and Cubase on a new HD and that took care of the problem, that would mean that there was something wrong with my system. Now, I am ready willing and able to admit to that - however, if that were the case, that would mean that those other 300+ people would have the exact same thing wrong with their system as I do mine. What are the chances of that?

Specs:

Intel Duo Core i7 960 3.2g Processor
ASUS P6T MB with the Intel X58 / ICH10R chipset
24 GB of Crucial RAM: DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 / Unbuffered • NON-ECC
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS Vid card
2x M-Audio 24/96 Delta soundcards
MOTU Micro Exp. USB MIDI Interface
iLok Dongle

Something else interesting. There is someone I used to work with, who is a sw dev, and a number of years ago, he wrote drivers for a dongle for an app he was working on. I spoke this morning. He said that he actually encountered a similiar problem. In a follow up email, he said this:

He then said he would keep looking, and get back to me if he had any more info.

Cheers.
Two of my computers have the Asus P6T motherboard with the same Intel chipset. Different processor and ram though. I also have several iloks plugged into my systems at various times. Including ilok version 1 and version 2. I also have NVIDIA cards in both those computers.

Both those systems have the dongles plugged into the rear of the machine. However, I will move them to my desk with a usb extender and see if I can help figure anything out for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 7th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Havent read through all The replys but have you tried with The Steinberg key in a different USB port? And only have keyboard/mouse/interface/dongle connected to The USB. Could be power related.

I've had crashes on exit but not when I close The project before I exit The app.
Old 7th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I do have this problem since i updated to the latest nuendo 5.5 version. 64 bit windows

So i tried every possibility.

For me i discovered that using nuendo 5.5 with the latest automap software will let the system hang for 100%, every time i exit the aplications.

Using nuendo 5.55 latest windows with an old automap 3.7 software will give me no problems.

Using the latest automap version with Nuendo 5 without any updates will give me no problems.

It is not very interesting if a use a fresh windows 7 64 bits installation or us a windows 7 version with a lot of other software.

Audiocard is steinberg mr816csx.

In my situation it seems a conflict with automap latest version and the latest nuendo 5 for windows version with the latest updates.
Old 12th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Trying temporarily removing your vs† plugin folder and run the project with no plugins to see if it crashes on exit.
Old 12th March 2013
js1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unfortunately, Jeff, it doesn't point to the dongle being the problem, only that the system crashed before it tried to blink the dongle.

I can't believe that the dongle itself is generally unreliable. If so, there would be countless lockups during operation, not merely on exit (software guy here).

Typically, on program exit, a program will clean up everything (free up memory, release drivers, close open files, shut down services, etc.). In Cubase, this would be a TON of stuff. If one item doesn't cooperate, you could get a lockup. It would depend on how everything was coded - and Steinberg doesn't have total control here, particularly where a VST is involved.

I have a Korg PadKontrol that causes 100% lock on exit if I use the provided driver (it's OK if I use the Windows class compliant driver).

I'm not trying to let anyone off the hook here. I believe you when you say lockups occur on empty projects. Just want to caution you not to draw the conclusion that it's the dongle.
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jeff, are you saying that this is ONLY a problem if you open Cubendo then close it without doing anything?

if this is so, then it's not really a problem is it,because as pointed out, what possible scenario would you do this in?

I've just installed Nuendo 6 alongside my Cubase 6 and 7 and as I said before since the 'bad' version of BFD has been updated I dont have exit crashes on any version.

I would point out I work exclusively with the x64 versions. I only use the X86 bridge for my POCO-M6000 stuff now and again.

MC
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
Why not contact support with your findings and have them test?

Personally, I wish they would ditch the dongle and do what Presonus is doing
I have a similar problem and made an appt with SB. After an hr and a half I was told they dont know what it could be. I was basically left hanging. Dont get me wrong, not like they can come to my place and fix it for me but I was sure others had to have this same issue. Love cubase so much I dont want to change programs. I just save a lot. Sometimes it hangs on exit. Sometimes it just dies, in the middle of a session. Many times, mainly on startup, my mr816's are not recognized. Either way I have to deal with it. Hope we find a fix soon tho.

Sent from my SPH-D710
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q ➡️
Not sure if this will help you...
Cubase 5 (sorry I didn't use C6) would hang on exit (or even just closing the current session but keeping Cubase open) pretty much 100% of the time for me until I discovered this workaround:

1. Save your session.
2. Make a change e.g. move a part on the arrange page.
3. Select the File menu and choose Exit (do not exit Cubase by clicking the X button).
4. When asked if you want to save, choose no.

Once I started following this procedure, I would almost never have an issue. I have now been running C7 (since the day it came out) and have had no hangs/crashes of any kind since I installed it so this issue has gone away for me.
Thanks for that tip - BFD with any amended kit always causes Cubase 6 (64Bit) to hang on exit - this method works a treat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
Jeff, are you saying that this is ONLY a problem if you open Cubendo then close it without doing anything?
No - it happens any which way. Project, no project, project with only VIs, only audio, plugs, no plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 ➡️
Unfortunately, Jeff, it doesn't point to the dongle being the problem, only that the system crashed before it tried to blink the dongle.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am not saying you are wrong, but I am not sure that I buy that idea. I would if the hangs only occured when there were projects open, and/or the app was actually getting used. But - open Cubase, leave it for 2 sec., and then close... you are saying that every once in a while it just crashes right after I send the close instruction? Sorry, I just dont buy that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
Trying temporarily removing your vs† plugin folder and run the project with no plugins to see if it crashes on exit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally, Jeff Hayat ➡️
Myself, and many others can attest to the fact that this issue has nothing to do with:

Video card drivers
Audio card drivers
The audio card itself
The MIDI interface
MIDI interface drivers
Other USB peripherals
USB hub
3rd party plug-ins
3rd party VIs
3rd party software

Automap
Controller surfaces
Deleting preferences
The way Cubase is exited
Running Cubase in admin mode

etc.

BTW - I do not, nor have I ever had BFD installed. Therefore, the hang on exit problem can not be attributed to BFD.
Old 15th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had this problem on and off for several years since I started with Cubase 5. It's actually been less so of late, though I'm not letting that fool me into thinking it's cured. Cubase always takes a while to close and I'm usually waiting with bated breath for it to disappears, or not.

When not I can usually close it from Task Manager but I always have to then reboot in order to regain my (EMU 1820m) sound card. Just ASIO I think.

A solution would be nice but I've learned to kind of put up with it. And yes, I would say 20% hangs sounds about right, not that I have measured this in anyway.

It seems to be totally random, and not everyone is affected. How on earth such a problem gets pin pointed is beyond me.
Old 15th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man ➡️
I've had this problem on and off for several years since I started with Cubase 5. It's actually been less so of late, though I'm not letting that fool me into thinking it's cured. Cubase always takes a while to close and I'm usually waiting with bated breath for it to disappears, or not.

When not I can usually close it from Task Manager but I always have to then reboot in order to regain my (EMU 1820m) sound card. Just ASIO I think.

A solution would be nice but I've learned to kind of put up with it. And yes, I would say 20% hangs sounds about right, not that I have measured this in anyway.

It seems to be totally random, and not everyone is affected. How on earth such a problem gets pin pointed is beyond me.
Open task manager when exiting and see if the cubase video player is running. Had a problem like that a while ago, but when force quitting the video player task - Cubase exited without a fuss!

Can´t for the life of me remember what the process is called - goldfish memory.
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeyh ➡️
Open task manager when exiting and see if the cubase video player is running. Had a problem like that a while ago, but when force quitting the video player task - Cubase exited without a fuss!

Can´t for the life of me remember what the process is called - goldfish memory.
Thanks, I'll look into that when I get round to it. Right now I've got more pressing problems with my Cubase set up. Since 7.02 I decided to go totally x64 but I've been experiencing horrendous CPU spikes, stuttering and freezing. After much ado I've found the only solution is to go back to the x86 version. Nothing else solves the problem, and I've tried just about everything.

Maybe it's my old Emu 1830m sound card, or maybe its my 3 year old EX58 PC, but right now 64 bit is unusable for me. New PC build I was planning for next year anyway. New sound card I can live with since I've had 10 years good service out of my EMU. I need to find out which.
Old 27th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
When I had this problem it was caused by East West Play plugin. For me, loading the samples to memory was (and probably still is) buggy. Once I started to stream the samples from hard drive, the problem went away.
Old 28th April 2013 | Show parent
kdm
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 ➡️

I can't believe that the dongle itself is generally unreliable. If so, there would be countless lockups during operation, not merely on exit (software guy here).

Typically, on program exit, a program will clean up everything (free up memory, release drivers, close open files, shut down services, etc.). In Cubase, this would be a TON of stuff. If one item doesn't cooperate, you could get a lockup. It would depend on how everything was coded - and Steinberg doesn't have total control here, particularly where a VST is involved.
Exactly. From reading in, this was explained on one of the hang on exit threads on the main Steinberg forums as well.

Jeff - if you really think the dongle is to blame, why not simply disconnect the dongle and then quit Cubase? See what happens. If you get an eLicenser error, it is very unlikely (as in completely unlikely) the dongle is causing the hang on exit. If it hangs with no error every single time you try it, then there you go. Case proven.

If you get a license error, it really doesn't matter what happens next - it's already decided to cancel the normal shutdown process so it could hang or quit ungracefully.

If you find something repeatable, and definitive across several different users' systems, post back here as you never know what might expedite a report and fix for this.
Old 29th April 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
should i get a newer elicenser ? i will be getting a N3 license and wanting to upgrade to N6 ... any advise ?

thank you

john
Old 29th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hangs/crashes on closing a project quite often here on Lion.
Old 29th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
how about Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion ? and thank s
Old 8th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hang on exit every time

I have a new fresh system install of OSX 10.8.3 with Nuendo 6.0.3.

I have a hang on exit every single time. Doesn't matter if I close all projects first or just exit. Every time I quite Nuendo 6 it hangs. Then requires a force quite which then requires a full reboot as the system acts strangely if I don't.
This inefficiency is really infuriating and not good in a production environment.

This is going on 2 weeks now and I have a thread going on the official Steinberg forum- without much of a response from Steinberg directly.

At this point I'm forced to use PT10 and Reaper which work just fine and dandy on the same system so I'm not sure what to do but my project has deadlines that can't wait so I'm using other DAWs.

I'm a big Nuendo fan, but this is without question my worst install experience with Steinberg software and I've setup alot of rigs in the past.
📝 Reply