so i have cubase 6 running since yesterday on my win xp system,
and i must say i really like it!
its really stable (unlike c5) over here. so xp users,
dont be afraid of the new version ;-)
although they dropped support for xp.

really like all the little new ideas.

the new multitrack drum editing feature is really nice,
but for faster stuff with lots of doublekicks, especially
with bad drummers, i will still have to use a lot of slip editing.

the new quantize function has a hard time detecting the relevant transients.
it works ok for kick and snare, but with real editing, you wanna
have quantized cymbals and all that... no way cubase detects cymbal transients in overheads... :-(

the new vst amps are ok, but nothing revolutionary...
guess ill stick to podfarm....

nice new feature that creates a tempo map from existing wave files by peak detection. its cool if oyu have a live recorded demo and want to
find out the right tempo / tempo map for a song.

overall i really like the way cubase looks now, like the halion se library.
if its worth the money for people coming from c5... well if you
do work with real drums a lot (rock drums) this is a time saver!
and so far its more stable than ever.

anyone else got their copy?
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Are the plug-ins the same as C5? Compressor/EQ/Reverb/Limiter/etc...?
Old 19th January 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkimosabi ➡️
Are the plug-ins the same as C5? Compressor/EQ/Reverb/Limiter/etc...?
yeah, so far yes. i havent worked my way through them all, aber comp, eq and so on are the same.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDCB ➡️

have quantized cymbals and all that... no way cubase detects cymbal transients in overheads... :-(
The hit point detection in cubase has always been useless like that - makes me wonder whether its even a new hitpoint detection algorithm or just a repackaging of the same old crap.......??
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeretoneAudio ➡️
The hit point detection in cubase has always been useless like that - makes me wonder whether its even a new hitpoint detection algorithm or just a repackaging of the same old crap.......??
this need's to be able to detect actual tempo and not just noise/slices (very doable) /p+1
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeretoneAudio ➡️
No! It's all new and works really great! And I am the biggest critic of that over the years. Nothing does a good job on overheads. Besides... good Lord!! You can't change the cymbals relative to the kick/snare so why in the world why you want to quantize based on overheads?? That's nuts.

It is EXCELLENT for kick, snare, toms, ride mic, and HH. At the VERY most this is as far as you want to go. However, If cymbal hits are sounded without any other drum in a certain section for example, the transients will be detected easily and you can quickly and easily delete the hitpoints manually from the rest of the song.

The fact that in the quantize dialog you can also choose which track has priority for quantizing is also EXCELLENT!! So, I can choose kick as my first priority (low end HAS to be tight), snare 2nd, then HH to get the stuff in between and that alone will tighten it RIGHT up, and quick.

Anyway... the new hitpoints not only work WAY better, they LOOK way better, are easier to work with, and the whole GUI is far slicker. GREAT job Steiny!!

And yes... I am finding it ROCK solid here on my Win 7/Intel i7 system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle ➡️
this need's to be able to detect actual tempo and not just noise/slices (very doable) /p+1
There is a WHOLE new feature for this now. Simply select the track you want it to detect tempo from, and click Tempo Detection. It detects and writes all the detection points to the tempo track. Even allows you to smooth the tempo so you can "correct" the tracks better.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No! It's all new and works really great! And I am the biggest critic of that over the years. Nothing does a good job on overheads. Besides... good Lord!! You can't change the cymbals relative to the kick/snare so why in the world why you want to quantize based on overheads?? That's nuts
Steve for phase issues it seems to me better when editing drums to have overhead mics included in the editing. I always treat drum editing as one track with a lot of ... lanes? I think i will stick with doing it manually altough it's boring and takes a ... longer time.

Misja
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi guys

Can you please advise me. I currently have Cubase 5.5 on Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6 with RME FF800. I also have plugins such as UAD-2, Waves 7 Platinum, Quantum Leap East West Pianos/Strings, G-Force etc. to name a few.

Can you please let me know how the best process is to upgrade to Cubase 6 and potentially what I may have to sacrifice in doing so. I also understand there would have to be backing up (of the main drive?) etc as well during this process.

Thanks so much!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe ➡️
There is a WHOLE new feature for this now. Simply select the track you want it to detect tempo from, and click Tempo Detection. It detects and writes all the detection points to the tempo track. Even allows you to smooth the tempo so you can "correct" the tracks better.
Does this create a tempo track, so that you can time you delays to it?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Back ups are never a bad idea... However!

No need to do that just for installing a new program like cubase. They will sit side by side just comfortable. I would however make a backup (small one) of the user files don't know where the location is on a Mac. And don't let the install of cubase 6 take over old settings. Better to make new ones..

It's all i can think of.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misja ➡️
Steve for phase issues it seems to me better when editing drums to have overhead mics included in the editing. I always treat drum editing as one track with a lot of ... lanes? I think i will stick with doing it manually altough it's boring and takes a ... longer time.

Misja
No..... you are misunderstanding how this new feature works. All drum tracks are moved TOGETHER in time, but based on the hitpoints of the tracks you have chosen.

Let me explain it step by step.

1. You put all your drums tracks (kick, snare, toms, hh, OH's, rooms, etc) together in a folder track.
2. You enable the GE button (group edit) on the folder.
3. You then double click on a track you want the ENTIRE drum performance (all tracks) to have it's quantizing based on... generally first the kick.
4. You then create hitpoints, and adjust the sensitivity to only have hitpoints on the kick transients (VERY fast and easy now)
5. You then repeat this process on any other drum tracks you want to be included in evaluation for quantizing (often for me, kick snare only... but sometimes toms, and rarely.. the high hat track as well).
6. Now that you have your hitpoints created, you simply select the section of the performance you want to edit and open the new quantize window.
7. Click "slice". It will now slice the tracks at your hitpoints!
8. Click quantize. It will now move ALL the tracks in the edit group to the grid you have selected staying perfectly in time with each, and phase coherent. If two slices are close together (say a kick and snare), the priority is based on your choice (shown at the top of the new quantize window... the more stars, the higher the priority... default is top to bottom of the group of tracks). Again... ALL slices for multiple tracks stay in perfect time with each other and are edited identically top to bottom.
9. Click crossfade. It now automatically pulls the handles of the slices back to the left a short distance to avoid affecting a transient and crossfades the slices (again... all tracks in the groups). You can easily nudge those crossfades to the right or left with convenient buttons in the new quantize window! You can also manually edit the size/length/style of your crossfades and save them as a preset. You can then set it to use your default crossfade preset in this process.

Done!

With a decent drummer, I have found this entire process can be completely ACCURATELY in about 3 minutes! With a really bad drummer, or a really fast/busy song... 15 to 20 minutes tops.

Seriously... this is powerful and fast!

Try it... and be in love!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for clarifying that for me!

I guess i have to try to know... The way you explain it it would reduce hours to minutes.. You are the guy that made the document how to edit drums easy in pre cubendo 6 version right?

There is however the fact. Once you have done this time saving feature you will have to that with bass and guitars as well. Is this still the old fashioned way?

And my biggest question wich i always found extremely annoying in Nuendo for me. Is: multitrack-multilane editing. What i really like to see in the Nuendo concept is make a folder group 3 tracks in that. All the same instrument. For sakes say four takes. Now i have to comp this. With one channel this is easy in Nuendo. Events to part and then part editor and part editor has powerful features. But it doesn't work with multiple tracks. And now.. This is important stuff!! Can we now tell cubendo (cubase first Nuendo later) that we want to do a multitrack comp within any given channel within that group? And last but not least are those sticky bugs with lanes finally gone?

I like to know these things. I don't care much for new features but i do care how well it handles those really minor requests for a very advanced DAW package.

Now if they would include VCA groups!! That would make me smile. For the love of god i can't understand why it's not there. I think like this. Don't include guitar rig like things in there or synths i never use anyway. Use the time and money spend on that to make the features you advertise with ... work?

But Steve thank you for explaining!!

Last edited by Misja; 19th January 2011 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: I typed lanes instead of tracks... Easy confusion!!
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so i have cubase 6 running since yesterday on my win xp system,
and i must say i really like it!
its really stable (unlike c5) over here. so xp users,
dont be afraid of the new version ;-)
although they dropped support for xp.

really like all the little new ideas.

the new multitrack drum editing feature is really nice,
but for faster stuff with lots of doublekicks, especially
with bad drummers, i will still have to use a lot of slip editing.

the new vst amps are ok, but nothing revolutionary...
guess ill stick to podfarm....

nice new feature that creates a tempo map from existing wave files by peak detection. its cool if oyu have a live recorded demo and want to
find out the right tempo / tempo map for a song.

overall i really like the way cubase looks now, like the halion se library.
if its worth the money for people coming from c5... well if you
do work with real drums a lot (rock drums) this is a time saver!
and so far its more stable than ever.

anyone else got their copy?
Thanks DannyDCB for posting this!
You made my day!
I broke down and ordered the update from my C4 running on XP just a couple days ago and I was scared the "no support for XP" meant I had made a mistake!
Does the C6 upgrade load a fresh separate version along side C4 or C5? Are you still able to use your C5?
I've seen video's of both C5 and C6 running concurrently?
Also out of curiosity, what is your XP setup?...i.e. interface, additional software/plugins like NI? UAD?
Have you tried the Neve plugins yet?
No shipping confirmation from Steinberg yet but I'm sure it's on the way!
Thanks sir!
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Great post... but I'm so jealous. I am still waiting for my copy of Cubase to ship! They haven't even generated an invoice # yet.. just an order #.

So impatient.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for jealousy. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Honestly...it´s probably the best Cubase I´ve ever worked with. I am using Protools HD and Logic besides Steinberg´s sequenzing dinosaur and I think there is a new favourite program in the house.

I am mainly using sequenzers as tapemachines and for editing, never really got very deep into all that midi stuff and it seems as if this Cubase release was done for people like me.

The drum editing works great and the new hitpoint-detection is just awesome. Did I mention Tab-To-Transients? And you know what? You can tab to all the transients on seperate selected tracks. That´s just great. Ah and by the way, there is also a Mdi-To-Audio feature. So, replacing Drums works from within the sample editor. Sweet.

You should also try the new comping features. Working with different takes on one track used to be a bit of a hassle, the new lanes-tool is better than quick-swipe-comping.

thumbsup
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yes yes yes... I'm just drooling over here and they havent event shipped my version, even though I ordered it the day it was released. *sob sob*

May I ask, does anyone have yet experience of running Cubase 6 in 64bit mode and how well old plugins work with? I mean is the vst bridge as crappy as it was in Cubase 5 pc version (I don't think that I ever got anything to work with it).

Cheers!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo ➡️
Thanks DannyDCB for posting this!
You made my day!
I broke down and ordered the update from my C4 running on XP just a couple days ago and I was scared the "no support for XP" meant I had made a mistake!
Does the C6 upgrade load a fresh separate version along side C4 or C5? Are you still able to use your C5?
I've seen video's of both C5 and C6 running concurrently?
Also out of curiosity, what is your XP setup?...i.e. interface, additional software/plugins like NI? UAD?
Have you tried the Neve plugins yet?
No shipping confirmation from Steinberg yet but I'm sure it's on the way!
Thanks sir!
my xp setup is xp professional, intel Q6600, focusrite saffire 56,
2 uad 2 duo cards. i mix entirely with my uad plugins and ssl outboard,
i got most of the uad plugins, all of them running smooth as always.

oh, you mean the portico emulations?
i dont have them, they are not part of c6... or did i miss something?

hehe, glad imade your day, bro!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adogcalledego ➡️
Honestly...it´s probably the best Cubase I´ve ever worked with. I am using Protools HD and Logic besides Steinberg´s sequenzing dinosaur and I think there is a new favourite program in the house.

I am mainly using sequenzers as tapemachines and for editing, never really got very deep into all that midi stuff and it seems as if this Cubase release was done for people like me.

The drum editing works great and the new hitpoint-detection is just awesome. Did I mention Tab-To-Transients? And you know what? You can tab to all the transients on seperate selected tracks. That´s just great. Ah and by the way, there is also a Mdi-To-Audio feature. So, replacing Drums works from within the sample editor. Sweet.

You should also try the new comping features. Working with different takes on one track used to be a bit of a hassle, the new lanes-tool is better than quick-swipe-comping.

thumbsup
chris! ;-) ! nice to see you here.

the drum editing works ok, but at the moment reapers semi automatic version of that is way faster. maybe ill have to get used to it.
but nevertheless all those features are what made me want to switch over to pro tools. im glad they listened to us users.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In case you guys haven't seen this yet

YouTube - Cubase 6 vs 5 Interface Comparison
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe ➡️
With a decent drummer, I have found this entire process can be completely ACCURATELY in about 3 minutes! With a really bad drummer, or a really fast/busy song... 15 to 20 minutes tops.
The hours and days this could save me! Here's hoping...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
my xp setup is xp professional, intel Q6600, focusrite saffire 56,
2 uad 2 duo cards. i mix entirely with my uad plugins and ssl outboard,
i got most of the uad plugins, all of them running smooth as always.

oh, you mean the portico emulations?
i dont have them, they are not part of c6... or did i miss something?

hehe, glad imade your day, bro!
I am sure Cubase 6 works with XP, but if there are bugs that cause a song to freeze or other weird things, I cannot afford to have that happen when I have a session with a client. Granted there will be bugs in Cubase 6 but they will have updates to fix them.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misja ➡️
Thanks for clarifying that for me!

I guess i have to try to know... The way you explain it it would reduce hours to minutes.. You are the guy that made the document how to edit drums easy in pre cubendo 6 version right?

There is however the fact. Once you have done this time saving feature you will have to that with bass and guitars as well. Is this still the old fashioned way?

And my biggest question wich i always found extremely annoying in Nuendo for me. Is: multitrack-multilane editing. What i really like to see in the Nuendo concept is make a folder group 3 tracks in that. All the same instrument. For sakes say four takes. Now i have to comp this. With one channel this is easy in Nuendo. Events to part and then part editor and part editor has powerful features. But it doesn't work with multiple tracks. And now.. This is important stuff!! Can we now tell cubendo (cubase first Nuendo later) that we want to do a multitrack comp within any given channel within that group? And last but not least are those sticky bugs with lanes finally gone?

I like to know these things. I don't care much for new features but i do care how well it handles those really minor requests for a very advanced DAW package.

Now if they would include VCA groups!! That would make me smile. For the love of god i can't understand why it's not there. I think like this. Don't include guitar rig like things in there or synths i never use anyway. Use the time and money spend on that to make the features you advertise with ... work?

But Steve thank you for explaining!!
Yes.... that was me with instructions on how to do this manually on the old forum. I actually had a little bit of input on how this new feature worked as well... but Steinberg really took the ideas that were there and ran with it... making it better than I had ever hoped!

As to bass and other instruments... you could included them in your edit group if you wanted to, and edit the entire band all at once. In my experience, the success with this varies... because usually everyone is not "off" in quite the same way. But it is certainly possible.

As to multi-channel lane editing. It now does that! So, if you record, say 4 passes of drums (or even the whole band), you just have the tracks you want to edit together in a master folder track. You can then expand a track to see the lanes (for only track), and simply slice the points where you want to audition a different take, and then click on the take you want to hear. It immediately mutes the others and you hear that take (for ALL the tracks in the edit group). So... comping drums, or full band takes can be literally as fast as you can think it! Lanes are completely re-designed, and I have yet to see any kind of bug with how any of this works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid ➡️
Does this create a tempo track, so that you can time you delays to it?

Yes... absolutely.
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think it's interesting that people are buying these very modern i7 PCs and putting a decade-old OS on it.

Your clients will likely be better served if you upgrade to Windows 7.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How is Cubase 6 doing in MacPro (2xDual core - 2nd Intel generation with 10.6.x)?
AjD
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Interested in hearing more success stories (or problem reports) with running Cubase 6 on Windows XP! Incidentally, I have a very similar rig to the original poster.

I imagine many are in the same boat as me. I don't want to upgrade to Win7 just yet - and deal with the whole issue of upgrading plug-ins, etc. and possibly even building a new box designed for 64-bit. Nothing against Win7, but when I go there I want to do it right. If Cubase 6 will work in XP for now, that's great news and Steinberg's got another customer right away.

However, I do worry about the possibility of session crashing bugs while the client is in the room. Completely baseless conjecture: I wonder if Steinberg's XP/Vista omission is in part based on some sort of sweetening deal with Microsoft? I've noticed that the official word from Steinberg on the support forums seems to be "It's not supported on XP." However, Steinberg support doesn't come out and say that it won't work smoothly w/XP, even when pressed. Seems a very intentionally worded response. Perhaps their deal with Microsoft - who certainly are encouraging software developers to push Win7 - prevents them from answering with a more truthful "It will likely work, even though XP isn't officially supported" (or even - "It will definitely be buggy and is not supported on XP").

Anyway. Who knows? When it comes to my computer rig, I hate too much change, too fast. Will wait for user reports before deciding what to do.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjD ➡️
However, I do worry about the possibility of session crashing bugs while the client is in the room. Completely baseless conjecture: I wonder if Steinberg's XP/Vista omission is in part based on some sort of sweetening deal with Microsoft? I've noticed that the official word from Steinberg on the support forums seems to be "It's not supported on XP." However, Steinberg support doesn't come out and say that it won't work smoothly w/XP, even when pressed. Seems a very intentionally worded response. Perhaps their deal with Microsoft - who certainly are encouraging software developers to push Win7 - prevents them from answering with a more truthful "It will likely work, even though XP isn't officially supported" (or even - "It will definitely be buggy and is not supported on XP").

Well, technically they need to (or are smart to) say this, because Windows XP is at End of Support (mainstream) currently, and approaching End of Life. Here's the explaination of that. (link)

So Steinberg, like every other software vender, is kind of handcuffed. They don't want to be in a position where they are publically supporting a product on top of an O/S for which they can't get support (in the form of patches generated if needed, drivers updated from upstream venders, etc) and their customers can't get support as well.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman ➡️
In case you guys haven't seen this yet

YouTube - Cubase 6 vs 5 Interface Comparison

Nice to see they're making it look less like a toy. Now they just need to fix the FUGLY transport bar!dfegad
AjD
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdo ➡️
So Steinberg, like every other software vender, is kind of handcuffed. They don't want to be in a position where they are publicly supporting a product on top of an O/S for which they can't get support (in the form of patches generated if needed, drivers updated from upstream venders, etc) and their customers can't get support as well.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I kind of suspect that there's no technical reason the 32 bit version of Cubase 6 would malfunction in a properly up-to-date version of Windows XP SP3. Specifically - I can't imagine there would be anything special in Cubase 6's code base that would be incompatible with XP/Vista. But I can totally see why - for business and/or legal reasons - a developer wouldn't want to give any public impression that their software is supported on a now orphaned OS.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So the new amp sims are not better than POD Farm? I was hoping on getting rid of it when upgrading to Cubase 6... tired of having my UX1 serve as a dongle...
📝 Reply