Quantcast
Cubase 5 score editing, any experience yet? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 5 score editing, any experience yet?
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cubase 5 score editing, any experience yet?

Hi Slutz,

when I bought my first Cubase ca. 12 years ago, it was simply the only program in the market that seamlessly integrated harddisk recording, midi sequencing, and score editing and printing, last of which was pretty buggy back then but still ...

Now, after playing with some score editing alternatives, I found it best for my workflow to stick with a completely integrated solution. I heard good things about Cubase 4. Has anyone used Cubase 5 for score editing yet?

My scores are mostly just normal music notation and text.

Thanks, Thomas
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I should take another look at scoring in Cubase. Last time I checked I think it was on VST5... So used to Sibelius now and thousands of parts in that format.

Will take a look tomorrow if you'd like, but I don't know what to expect or what should be different.

Herwig
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thank you, Herwig. Cubase VST5 is what I have now (skipped SX for budget reasons and was in the middle of a big project when C4 came out) and I hope Cubase 5 will be a major step up in terms of notation but I am not sure.

What sequencer do you use and how do you integrate it with Sibelius? Pros and cons in terms of workflow?

My usual workflow is:
1. use the score editor to compose (test listen with VSTis while composing)
2. make a test recording to check whether my composition sounds right
3. adjust my composition again in the score editor and print the music I need for the recording
4. do the actual recording
5. in case it makes sense (I do choral stuff among others), beautify and print the score

I had plans to use LilyPond for score printing but from an integration point of view, this is a no go. Being able to do all of this within one piece of software is just ever so convenient.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic is the only sequencer with a decent, integrated score editor. Cubase's is worst of all.

Sibelius is by far the best notation software; it's very easy and pleasant to work with and the support is outstanding, but you can't integrate it any sequencer. Since it's own by Avid, you get an integrated but unfortunately useless light version in PT8, though.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by author ➑️
Logic is the only sequencer with a decent, integrated score editor. Cubase's is worst of all.
Thanks Author.

I heard good things about Logic too but I am on Windows. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Which version of Cubase do you know? Which programs did you compare it with (some time ago I demoed Cappella, for example, and liked Cubase better)? What makes its score editing worse than others?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The score editing in Cubase was improved a lot in version 4.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
hi thomas;

the score editors / scoring possibilities are exactly the same in the full cubase and cubase studio.

as captain caveman mentioned, the score editor got a major overhaul in C4, inasmuch as it was reorganized to be more logical / functional.

as far as i am aware, it is exactly the same editor in C5, with exeption of some added expression stuff (you can read about it on the product page of cubase) that might be useful if you do classical/choral.

a very cheap but good alternative for scoring might be magix music studio and / or samplitude. the music studio has exactly the same (and really good) scoring capabilities as samplitude professional, but unfortunately it of course has restrictions in other departments, so it probably won't satisfy your wish for a totally integrated system. really fully featured in almost all aspects is the DLV version of samplitude 10, which is i think approximately in the same price range as cubase studio (there are demo versions on the magix and samplitude.de sites).

all in all i like cubase much more, but i really like the notation / score in samplitude, and because they are often overlooked and because you cannot get more and better score functionality for a lower price than in the music studio i though i mention them.

good luck and have fun;

oxy
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxytoxine ➑️

as far as i am aware, it is exactly the same editor in C5, with exeption of some added expression stuff (you can read about it on the product page of cubase) that might be useful if you do classical/choral.
The new VST Expression in Cubase5 is a big step forward. It's accessible both in the score editor and key editor.

Now other DAW has anything like that. (Don't listen to the (fading in numbers) Logic fanboys.) Take a look here:

Express Creative Visions :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all your input! I feel encouraged to stay on the Steinie path but I'll thoroughly demo Samplitude before I buy.

I would need Samplitude 10 Standard (444 Euro) or Cubase Studio (349 Euro) to cover my needs (*). Prices by my favourite music store.

(*) This is subjective. I understand that both products come with different features. But both are the smallest of their line with the subset of features that covers all I need. Cubase Essential has no score editing and in Samplitude Music Studio the sample rate limitation to 48kHz is something I would not want to deal with.
πŸ“ Reply