The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
steinberg discontinuing e-licenser server Jan '22?
Old 10th November 2021
steinberg discontinuing e-licenser server Jan '22?

I just got an email from Refx stating:

Quote:
"Steinberg has informed us that they are discontinuing the USB-eLicenser and soft-eLicenser technology as of January 1st, 2022. Steinberg will maintain the server handling those services for a grace period of six months until June 30th, 2022. After that period, Steinberg reserves the right to shut down the server at its sole discretion.

Unfortunately, this move is beyond our control and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it."
WTF? What about all the other products that require an elicenser? For example, Vienna Instruments?
Old 10th November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin ➡️
What about all the other products that require an elicenser? For example, Vienna Instruments?
I believe Vsl moved or is moving to ilok.
Old 10th November 2021
Deleted 017a497
Interesting! Any idea where this might leave old Steinberg licenses? Wavelab 8.5, or earlier versions of Nuendo, etc, etc? Are they going to migrating them all over to the new platform?
Old 10th November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hmmm...Not sure how to feel about this. Still no word at all about what they plan to replace elicenser with.
I was reading a thread over on KVR and they were saying that Cubase will go straight from 11, to 12.
They were also (rightly) saying that this will basically kill people's ability to buy a cheap upgrade going forwards.
So no more buying a .5 update in a sale and holding on to it until a full version is released, which is a bummer.

Cubase 11 really needs that Apple silicon native support, so I am interested to see what their next move is.
Old 10th November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➡️
I believe Vsl moved or is moving to ilok.
Looks like this is why Vsl is moving to ilok.
Old 10th November 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So, what's going to happen if you are running a version say v7, that requires an Elic, and you build a computer after the grace period expires? How do you install and maintain the elic sw?
Old 10th November 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
They have hinted very strongly that they are moving away from physical dongle as it is a very popular request. I see this as a good sign that that plan is going ahead. Obviously that would require revamping the whole system rather than working the old system into a new one.
I'm sure they will figure something out for the 3rd party licenses, if they haven't already, but standard practice with things like this is just deal with new product going forward and not migrating old software...
Old 10th November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They are switching to a login model that will work offline, but has to be refreshed every thirty days.
It seems to be the same method that they currently use to authorise their download manager. I guess that is a soft roll out for them.

It can be authorised this way on two machines simultaneously. It seems like it could be a good system.
Old 10th November 2021
Lives for gear

I guess the old adage "Be careful what you wish for" springs to mind.
Old 10th November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend ➡️
I guess the old adage "Be careful what you wish for" springs to mind.
+1 on this

They imply that a subscription model might be in the works too...

There is nothing better than dongles. I have no idea why they listen to mostly trolls online, or maybe this time they kinda used it as an excuse to be honest.

Everything and everyone seems to be moving to a sub model.

What worries me the most is what NI is preparing with izotope. Everyone seems to be making their own sample player (Spitfire, OT, 8dio etc). Makes people think that NI might be moving to a sub model too... with updates only to what is on the sub, much like izotope is doing and this would affect so many other companies.

Ridiculous situation. Imagine having to pay 300-400$ a month in subscriptions to be able to use what you are using today.
Old 11th November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
https://www.steinberg.net/licensing/faq/

"....We know that many of our existing customers are concerned that Steinberg may switch to a subscription pricing model for our products. Please be reassured that whatever options for buying Steinberg software products may be offered in future, we have no plans to withdraw the option to buy and use our existing software products under a perpetual license, just as we always have...."
Old 11th November 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis ➡️
https://www.steinberg.net/licensing/faq/

"....We know that many of our existing customers are concerned that Steinberg may switch to a subscription pricing model for our products. Please be reassured that whatever options for buying Steinberg software products may be offered in future, we have no plans to withdraw the option to buy and use our existing software products under a perpetual license, just as we always have...."
"Read my lips: no new taxes."

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

Lightroom is not shifting to a subscription only service...

Actually, I think that was the sign perpetual licensing of new versions was doomed is when version 6.0 was launched and required online activation. Then 1.5 or 2 years later they said this was the final version of standalone.

Point being, I don't trust the words of a company as they have no obligation to stick to their word, if it means they'll make more money otherwise.
Old 11th November 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
"Some people" have been yapping about Steinberg moving to a subscription model for years now, and the only reason "they" are yapping about it is because they heard someone else yap about it on the internet... who heard someone else do it who heard someone else who just made **** up for no reason.

Please make it stop.
📝 Reply