The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 8.5 - my personal wishlist
Old 18th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➑️
Video doesn't work properly, timing issues, all the Steinberg hardware doesn't work properly.

Steinberg specifically say NOT to upgrade.

They're working with Microsoft to fix the issues as they both know what they are.

MC
It's a shame that those things affect what you do with cubase and you have to wait. Although, I'm just using cubase for recording and mixing music - and it all works beautifully for me.
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Basically what IMO Cubase needs in features is the following:

- Smart tool - Double right click insert note, double right click on it deletes note. Drag up/down for note velocity change (to quickly adjust velocity while drawing), left/right for length

- Insert effect per event region (as in S1)

- Folder track as Audio bus/Group track (this is much needed, almost all DAWs have it. you pack a folder, and have the option to make it a group. This is pretty awkward now in Cubase.

- Macro knobs in Quick Controls - One knob can control a few parameters

- and the biggest topic of them all - AUTOMATION:

I think that automation is one of the neglected areas of Cubase and needs a complete serious overhaul:

* "Automation clips" or containers like in FL Studio, or like in Logic (called "region-based automation"). Basically chunks of automation that can be moved around, copied and pasted just the same as instrument parts.

* Automation clips can be ghost-copied for repeating/rhythmic automation, edit one clip and changes propagate to all ghost copies at once. Please don't even mention copy-paste here, it's a waste of time.

* An automation clip can control any parameter, so any given automation clip can be freely dragged or copied across to other parameters.

* Existing single-line automation remains for "old-school" automation fans, automation clips optionally drawn in to sit on top of the existing automation line (automation clips would have higher precedence than the single-line).

* editable curves via Bezier curves

* Additional line tools such as SAW (like in S1, FL etc)

* Control Link - just like the Control Link in Studio One, you can see the value being moved in the plugin, and you can also link it to one of the knobs in the midi controller for quick automation.

* Additional line tool - SAW wave or Ramp up/down

Look at the curves of FL Studio for example. It's amazing how easy it is to make them and edit them.
I can't insert an image in GS forums yet, so here it is. Hopefully someone could embed it.

https://www.image-line.com/support/F...ation_edit.png
Old 9th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➑️
Yes, that pretty much sums it up for me too.

I'd add ;

Being able to use the range tool for automation so it automatically creates a start and finish point you can drag up our down like pro tools.

MC
This! Plus, I'd love if when multiple tracks in the arrange window are selected they act as a temporary group.

I would also vote for folder tracks to act as group tracks.

And fix the "video not responding" bug that is taking up my computer resources.

Probably a couple more that I can't think of right now.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hadn't read all the post and see some of mine have already been mentioned.

Retina support please!
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Scale select with VariAudio instead of it just being chromatic. Also, I'd like it to detect lower pitches to help tune bass notes when needed.

I'd also really like group editing using elastic audio in the edit window, mixer undo, range selection for writing automation, import session data, and PT style groups as have been said previously.
Old 18th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Add, Delete and Move tracks within the mixer (after using S1 it is driving me crazy).
Get rid of the hovering stuff (hunting for info) in the mixer.

Just two (of more) from the top of my head.
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
+1. At least let us move tracks and undo mixer changes please! Also, while scrolling between mixer tracks, it doesn't let you scroll freely using the scroll wheel unless the bottom "tracks and fader" section is in focus. I do like being able to adjust parameters using the scroll wheel instantly but let us scroll horizontally when there is nothing below the sends section in that empty area.
Old 19th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andredb ➑️
Stereo Aware channels (mono in---->Mono Channel--->Stereo Plugin-->Stereo chennel)

on an unrelated note.... i would pay good money for a DEDICATED midi control room hardware controller....
Stereo aware channels would be nice. So far i always have to create an additional stereo bus to route it thru. Makes mixing not easier.

Did you check the Panorama controller? Its pretty good with the cubase adaption. Everything is already preconfigured. Even most 3rd party software plug -ins.

That being said, i'd also support mixer undo.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mixer undo is a biggie for me...after all these years I often find myself hitting control Z to undo a fader move only to undo something else track/editing related...arrrggghhh
Old 20th September 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Fix the scrolling in the mixer, it is a nightmare with the magic mouse; parameter values shifting all the time when all you want to do is scroll the channels!
Old 20th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really wish they fix the visibility presets issues. At the moment they are completely counterintuitive.
Old 25th September 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
-Smooth Scrolling (When using the mouse wheel, horizontal or vertical, rather than jumping couple of lines like some text mode)
-Drag & Drop plugins/instruments
-Automation view on top of main waveform/midi
-Better coloring
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Instrument Tracks, VSTi Tracks, Group Tracks, FX Tracks, MIDI Tracks and Audio Tracks all saved as part of a single track preset.
Old 9th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKron ➑️
....and the biggest topic of them all - AUTOMATION:
I think that automation is one of the neglected areas of Cubase and needs a complete serious overhaul....
+1
Definitely. Even going back years ago when I trialed Logic briefly, I thought that the automation was way, way, better than Cubase.
It's just so clumsy in Cubase.

It should be just a matter of "insert" automation...automation is immediately visible...right on top of the part where automation can be done more accurately either over top of the MIDI events or the audio waveform. No "show/hide" all automation...having to scroll to find out where it resides...or nested "below" the part...somewhere.

I think workflow is so critical. You can lose mojo in a hurry with the need to "find" things that should be right there, right away.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys ➑️
It should be just a matter of "insert" automation...automation is immediately visible...right on top of the part where automation can be done more accurately either over top of the MIDI events or the audio waveform. No "show/hide" all automation...having to scroll to find out where it resides...or nested "below" the part...somewhere.
The default settings for automation are not very handy but you can change them to something much more useful. Go to the Automation Panel (I think F6 is the default key command) click the little options button in the bottom left of the panel and enable "Reveal Parameter On Write" and "Show Data On Tracks".

Now any time you write automation (click the red W write automation button on a track or the global one and touch any parameter you want to automate while Cubase is playing) a new automation lane will appear with the automation for that parameter. (This works for track parameters but also plugins). I suggest also having the "Used Only" button enabled on the main Automation Panel. This avoids scrolling through unused automation lanes.

The "Show Data On Tracks" option will show a "ghost" image of your audio or MIDI data on every automation lane so you can do precise automation editing.

Here is a little video: http://puretone.nl/pics/Cubase%20Automation.gif

Once you have things set up like this, it is very quick. You don't need to know what a parameter is called as you just touch any fader, button or whatever you want to automate and a new automation lane for that parameter appears automatically.

Quote:
I think workflow is so critical. You can lose mojo in a hurry with the need to "find" things that should be right there, right away.
If you want good workflow with Cubase, you need to dive into the features and read the manual because unfortunately the default settings are often far from ideal...

Alistair

Last edited by UnderTow; 9th October 2015 at 01:15 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➑️
The default settings for automation are not very handy but you can change them to something much more useful. Go to the Automation Panel (I think F6 is the default key command) click the little options button in the bottom left of the panel and enable "Reveal Parameter On Write" and "Show Data On Tracks".

Now any time you write automation (click the red W write automation button on a track or the global one and touch any parameter you want to automate while Cubase is playing) a new automation lane will appear with the automation for that parameter. (This works for track parameters but also plugins). I suggest also having the "Used Only" button enabled on the main Automation Panel. This avoids scrolling through unused automation lanes.

The "Show Data On Tracks" option will show a "ghost" image of your audio or MIDI data on every automation lane so you can do precise automation editing.

Once you have things set up like this, it is very quick. You don't need to know what a parameter is called as you just touch any fader, button or whatever you want to automate and a new automation lane for that parameter appears automatically.

If you want good workflow with Cubase, you need to dive into the features and read the manual because unfortunately the default settings are often far from ideal...

Alistair
What a helpful post, undertow, thank you!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Alistair
Yeah these settings are great time savers and very handy. I just moved to Cubase last year and found choosing what to automate manually a bit of a pain, so when I read the manual and found "Reveal Parameter On Write" I was happy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Alistair
Alistair,

Thanks for the great tips. "Reveal Parameter On Write" is pure gold.
Old 9th October 2015
Deleted 231be8b
I want them to stop forcing me to use their ****ty sound browser/locator. I want to search and locate stuff the normal way.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Alistair
Thank-you Alistair ! Awesome post, but...
I have both of those features ticked and automation still appears "below" the part instead of "on-top-of" the part....see pic plz....I must be missing something ?

I need to also post, in a separate thread, some "new" and unusual behavior from the Transport Bar and VST Instrument window....maybe someone can shed some light on these as well....tech-support was unable to assist.
Attached Thumbnails
Cubase 8.5 - my personal wishlist-automation.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys ➑️
Thank-you Alistair ! Awesome post, but...
I have both of those features ticked and automation still appears "below" the part instead of "on-top-of" the part....see pic plz....I must be missing something ?
Yes the automation appears on a new lane but there is a "ghost" of the waveform or MIDI data on that automation lane. At least that is the case with your audio track. (The track just happens to be silent so there isn't much of a waveform but you can see the zero line). As for the Lounge Lizard, it seems that when using multi-out instruments you don't get a ghost of the MIDI data.

Multi-instrument tracks still need work. This lack of a ghost of the MIDI data being one of the areas that needs fixing it seems. I tend to avoid multi-instrument tracks because they are not as practical as single instrument tracks. They _could_ be really good but the current implementation isn't quite there yet.

Alistair
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
separate button for bypass\off plug-ins in track inspector. normal "single-click" edit plugin button. pleeeeease...
Old 12th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 231be8b ➑️
I want them to stop forcing me to use their ****ty sound browser/locator. I want to search and locate stuff the normal way.
I have the solution for you:
Step 1. Don't use the entirely optional browser.
Step 2. Search and locate stuff in the normal way.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd like the Configurations to be "Locked".

In each of my Templates, I've created several different mixers including Groups, VSTi's and effects, etc. Each time I add a new tracks, whether it's MIDI or Audio, they suddenly show up in all of my Configurations, need to be removed and the Configuration "Updated". It's waste of time and keystrokes.

Why have the ability to create configurations only to have tracks not associated appear in the window? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 14th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkron ➑️

- folder track as audio bus/group track (this is much needed, almost all daws have it. You pack a folder, and have the option to make it a group. This is pretty awkward now in cubase.
+1 yes please
Old 13th November 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKron ➑️
Basically what IMO Cubase needs in features is the following:

- Folder track as Audio bus/Group track (this is much needed, almost all DAWs have it. you pack a folder, and have the option to make it a group. This is pretty awkward now in Cubase.

https://www.image-line.com/support/F...ation_edit.png
+1

Folder tracks that can act as groups (Logic and Reaper do this) can be a huge time saver, and you can keep everything visually organized better. It's so fast. I can get a 40 track project set up and ready to mix -- with great visual organization -- in Reaper in about 30 seconds as a result of the folders functioning as buses. You can apply automation, plugins, and routing to that lead folder track if you want. Or you can send the tracks in the folder to 'aux' or fx channels if you wish. Your choice.
πŸ“ Reply