Marketing for Pharrells "Happy" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Marketing for Pharrells "Happy"
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Marketing for Pharrells "Happy"

The first single from Pharrell Williams new album G.I.R.L., Happy, aside from being catchy, imo, it had a really smart youtube marketing campaign. They let people dance as they walk down the streets, and they have released several videos, an hour long each, with Happy playing on repeat.

It happens something new all the time in the video, and the song repeats automatically, making it easy to listen to it quite a few times before you manually have to turn it off.

Have there been similar/identical ones i have missed?
What do you think of it? smart? silly? The song is a peace of ****? other opinions?

one of the videos:
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Catchy tune, a bit repetitive towards the end perhaps. Silly, self-indulgent video, however. Just make a video for the tune (singular) and be done with it.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really like that song. 4 stars out of 5. Whoop !

I guess the OP's question is, was marketing & hype a large factor in it's popularity ? And does the song have much merit on it's own aside from the promotional boost it was endowed with ?

It's fairly repetitious, but if you like the retro vibe and sound, then it's tolerable. There might even be a reactional correlation between it and "Get Lucky".
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for posting that cetera. I really enjoyed that. It's got those dynamically transitional surprise factors I enjoy hearing.

Double Happy I guess ? (also a Split Enz tune, heh whoop !)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman ➡️
Catchy tune, a bit repetitive towards the end perhaps. Silly, self-indulgent video, however. Just make a video for the tune (singular) and be done with it.
I never get "self-indulgent" as a negative criticism of artists. It seems to me that artists should be self-indulgent. That's kind of the idea of it.
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted User
He has a good voice. He could probably sing anything within reason and it would sound good. Sounds a bit like vintage Curtis Mayfield, the Superfly man.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I think their even more clever marketing was 24hoursofHappy.com ...the 24 hour video of people dancing to Happy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus ➡️
I never get "self-indulgent" as a negative criticism of artists. It seems to me that artists should be self-indulgent. That's kind of the idea of it.
Maybe for you, and for some, or for many, but certainly not for all.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why are there no detractors in this thread yet ?

If we are in a scenario where no one voices a substantive critique or a dissenting view of Pharrel's "Happy", that would make me quite unhappy.

A variety of opinions is the spice of life ! Especially when it comes to art.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 ➡️

If we are in a scenario where no one voices a substantive critique or a dissenting view of Pharrel's "Happy", that would make me quite unhappy.

the song is solid but i think it's pretty phoned in for pharrell. i was basiaclly bored with the album except the songs "brand new" and "gush" which were..less boring.

plus i can't stop thinking that pharrell already made a much cooler song called happy a few years ago, hence my posting it :D
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just seeing the above quoted in cetera's post, but it's interesting to note (and I just noticed it a day or two ago), that the gearslutz "Forum Rules/Posting Guidelines" says:
Quote:
7. We do not permit “producer or engineer so-and-so sucks” type threads. “Slagging off” others in the industry, especially established veterans is forbidden. In addition, you are not permitted to “bash” (comment negatively) about any artist, producer, engineer, genre or musical style. We take a zero-tolerance stance on this. You may discuss music, positively and (politely) negatively in the ‘All About The Music’ subforum, but ‘name-calling’ others in the industry is not allowed.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I trust that most can make a distinction between "substantive critique / dissenting views" and "bashing" of a given artist.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i don't like it tbh
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
hm i didn't even know about the "all about the music" forum. some of these threads about current songs should probably be there. the song writing forum should maybe even be a sub to that one
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does anyone know if PW is formally trained in theory or music lessons or is does he write and play by ear ?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac
I thought the marketing was pretty cool...I've seen the video and it's not really my cup of tea but it must be for the masses because it's doing pretty well.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As an artist Pharrell has his own sounds also as a producer most usually know his songs when hearing it. I think the song is creative in a time that most songs lack enjoying happy good feeling type of lyrical content. Its also good for the kids to listen to which is why it did good from being in the film 'Despicable Me 2'.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the chorus is weird to me. the 'happy' chord is cool, sure, but the whole feel of it comes off as a sort of a person saying they are happy but it's only due to the aid of plentiful stimulants, groupie sex, anti-depressants, and piles of money. when he says "i'm happyyyyyyyy," i can't stop picturing someone with a plastered on smile and insane eyes half bloodshot and popping out of skull. basically he's unwittingly made the ultimate song about forced happiness. the kids can't tell because they know nothing of the real thing. the emotion "happy" is only something they've read about on the internet or seen satirized in entertainment.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetera ➡️
the chorus is weird to me. the 'happy' chord is cool, sure, but the whole feel of it comes off as a sort of a person saying they are happy but it's only due to the aid of plentiful stimulants, groupie sex, anti-depressants, and piles of money. when he says "i'm happyyyyyyyy," i can't stop picturing someone with a plastered on smile and insane eyes half bloodshot and popping out of skull. basically he's unwittingly made the ultimate song about forced happiness. the kids can't tell because they know nothing of the real thing. the emotion "happy" is only something they've read about on the internet or seen satirized in entertainment.
Maybe it was simply a huge bong hit ?
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The song grew on me, but the marketing campaign has been done before. I'm over the "Let's have people all over the world dance to our song".
Old 21st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icansing4real ➡️
The song grew on me, but the marketing campaign has been done before. I'm over the "Let's have people all over the world dance to our song".
but people like dancing to this song all over the world.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, it's not as if the danceable aspect invalidates the song or demeans it. It simply supplements it.

We're all far too sedentary anyways ! heh
Old 22nd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson ➡️
but people like dancing to this song all over the world.
Then let them dance. LOL I was just saying it's been done before, but if they want to dance, let 'em!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, it's not as if the danceable aspect invalidates the song or demeans it. It simply supplements it.

We're all far too sedentary anyways ! heh
Sedentary? You're right. But I'm working on fixing that. : )
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icansing4real ➡️
Sedentary? You're right. But I'm working on fixing that. : )
Are you going to engineer a chair with a spring-loaded auto-eject feature ? One that kicks in after 30 minutes or so ?

I wanna be be propelled outta my chair with extreme force, plastering me against the ceiling if possible. A much deserved penalty for being such a slug. heh
Old 31st March 2014
Old 31st March 2014 | Show parent
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I do not consider this song as art. It's a product. I have to admit that it's a well made product. At least for the targeted customer segment (which I am not even remotely part of).
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Interesting idea on the extended vid.

With regard to the song, it's catchy/ingratiating -- I like the vocal approach, hell, I'm delighted any time I hear something that sounds vaguely like a human singing in pop -- but by the third verse I was pretty well over it. It has a real heavily processed feel... I can't imagine the choruses are all just cut and paste but it kind of has that feel... you know, not people playing the same part over but just squeezing out the clones.

High sugar content, for me, means quick burn out.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…