Songwriting competition winner goes platinum - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songwriting competition winner goes platinum
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus ➡️
I don't really make judgments about anything in terms of guesstimating the amount of time that something took. The reasons for that are that (i) I don't think that something is better for taking a longer amount of time (or better for taking a shorter amount of time)--for me, quality isn't correlated to how long something took, and (ii) I know for a fact that some things that I would have guesstimated to take a short period of time took their creators a long time and were maybe even agonizing to create and vice versa--some things I would have guessed took a long time to create were done in a couple minutes, or off-the-cuff as fast as their creators could jot it down.

I agree with you that time has no bearing in the quality of the final product. More often than not, the longer one works on something, the worse the results. I have done 5 minute sketches (portrait) using a no room for errors ball point pen that came out better than longer poses using charcoal sticks.

I also wrote melodies under pressure (timewise) that proved to be quite good.
Time is not always in our side and I do believe that concentration is the key to achieving optimum results.

Deadlines are to be embraced. heh

HW
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss ➡️
I agree with you that time has no bearing in the quality of the final product. More often than not, the longer one works on something, the worse the results. I have done 5 minute sketches (portrait) using a no room for errors ball point pen that came out better than longer poses using charcoal sticks.

I also wrote melodies under pressure (timewise) that proved to be quite good.
Time is not always in our side and I do believe that concentration is the key to achieving optimum results.
Interesting point. Same here. My best songs are those that came together instantly, like being hit by lightning. The lessor ones were usually those that were completed over many days or weeks, where the material just didn't come together easily and in the end was somewhat forced together.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case ➡️
Interesting point. Same here. My best songs are those that came together instantly, like being hit by lightning. The lessor ones were usually those that were completed over many days or weeks, where the material just didn't come together easily and in the end was somewhat forced together.
Yes, it is wonderful when the muse is whispering in our ears, lyrics and all.
I even feel guilty taking credit for it but I've no choice.

HW
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oy, here we go again. (See the thread that was an offshoot of this.)

I use the word "cheesy", but I don't think I use it to denote the same sort of thing other folks use it for, because for one, "cheesy" is almost always a positive characteristic in my book.

There are a lot of lyrics I like and love, lyricists who I'm a fan of. Probably the majority of the Beatles' lyrics are in the category of me feeling indifferent towards them, but there are some I like, particularly on the White Album, parts of Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, etc. (I do like the Beatles a lot in general, by the way, but that's primarily about their musical achievements.)

I like a lot of lyrics that many folks seem to dislike. For example, Jon Anderson (of Yes fame) is one of my favorite lyricists, as are Frank Zappa, Brian Eno, Laurie Anderson, Neil Peart, Adrian Belew, Todd Rundgren . . . and country is the only genre aside from "comedy" where I tend to like a majority of lyrics. I'm also a big fan of what I call "Googly Moogly" lyrics (after Zappa)--stuff like "Rubber Biscuit", "Da Do Do Do, De Da Da Da", "Radio Ga Ga", etc.

One of the Beatles lyrics I really like, for example, is "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"

"Childlike" is not at all a bad thing to me. Some of my favorite visual artists are Joan Miró, Marc Chagall, Paul Klee, Henri Matisse, and Pablo Picasso, and with Picasso, especially his later work, from the later 20s on, say. Usually when people say "childlike" they're not really realizing the nuanced differences between what folks like those above did and what kids actually produce, and they don't really realize the difficultly of producing quality work in that vein.

I do like or love some lyricists it's normal to like or love, too, by the way--Lou Reed and Bob Dylan are a couple other of my favorite lyricsts.

I don't really make judgments about anything in terms of guesstimating the amount of time that something took. The reasons for that are that (i) I don't think that something is better for taking a longer amount of time (or better for taking a shorter amount of time)--for me, quality isn't correlated to how long something took, and (ii) I know for a fact that some things that I would have guesstimated to take a short period of time took their creators a long time and were maybe even agonizing to create and vice versa--some things I would have guessed took a long time to create were done in a couple minutes, or off-the-cuff as fast as their creators could jot it down.
He bro, I like most of the people you've listed here, but I think comparing them to the group listed by the OP is like comparing apples to oranges. No comparison whatsoever. As I said, I may have been able to tolerate this song if he hadn't done the constant signing of a "vowel" like you mentioned. To me that really kind of blew for that song. It may as well have been a nursery rhyme at that point.
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob ➡️
He bro, I like most of the people you've listed here, but I think comparing them to the group listed by the OP is like comparing apples to oranges.
But I was just explaining specifically what I was explaining. I didn't compare anyone to anyone else.
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But I was just explaining specifically what I was explaining. I didn't compare anyone to anyone else.
Got it. My bust.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…