Quantcast
Suspended Chords - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suspended Chords
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Suspended Chords

What's the hold up? Pretty sure it's the 2nd or the 4th. Learn how these work, they're some of my favorite chords. Don't be afraid to use these in your songs too! They're awesome.

Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What an amazing discovery! This could change music itself!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjacks ➑️
What's the hold up? Pretty sure it's the 2nd or the 4th. Learn how these work, they're some of my favorite chords. Don't be afraid to use these in your songs too! They're awesome.
Yes indeed.

I love melodies which work in 4ths (intervallic patterns) over those sus chords too.

E7sus4 (or E7sus11) is so neat in the way it can resolve to an Amaj7 (or Amaj9) - even bypassing the E7 entirely. Gotta love those sus chords, just can't get enough of them.

Try a descending pattern of : / E7sus4 / D7sus4 / C7sus4 / Bb7sus4 / Ab7sus4 / Gb7sus4 / E7sus4 / for fun.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjacks ➑️
Don't be afraid to use these in your songs too! They're awesome.
Yes, the fear was definitely holding me back.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OP, don't let the sardonic sarcasm of anyone discourage you from promoting these chords. The likely truth is, they are old-schoolers who find them old-hat because they've been exposed to them 1000's of times (in the same way the wiz-kid Tommy is familiar with Pinball). Fully understandable.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just make sure you get permission from Pete Townshend since in his book he takes credit for (practically) inventing them, and certainly for being the first to use them in Rock & Roll.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975
E7sus4 (or E7sus11) is so neat in the way it can resolve to an Amaj7 (or Amaj9) - even bypassing the E7 entirely. Gotta love those sus chords, just can't get enough of them.

Try a descending pattern of : / E7sus4 / D7sus4 / C7sus4 / Bb7sus4 / Ab7sus4 / Gb7sus4 / E7sus4 / for fun.
Nice.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Another one (just for fun).

/ Bsus4 - B / Asus4 - A / Gsus4 - G / F#sus4 - F# / B /

(with a big emphasis on the final 'B' measure)
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, that wasn't very unique.

One more try :

/ C#7sus4 - C#7 - / F# - - - / A7sus4 - A7 - / D (fini) /
Old 8th March 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I love suspend chords, but did anyone else notice that "House of Straw" track in the video sounds like Mariah Carey "Always be my baby". Maybe it's just me.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Subscribed . good series for those learning theory
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
While the suspended chords are often used as dominants or dominant 7ths in a perfect authentic cadence resolution (Vsus4 to V to I or V7sus4 to V7 to I = Gsus4 to G to C or G7sus4 to G7 to C), it's also nice to experiment with them.

/ E7sus4 - E7 - / F#7sus4 - F#7 - / G#7sus4 - G#7 - / A7sus4 - A - / B7sus4 - B - / C7sus4 - C7 - / D7sus4 - D7 - / E (fini) / The tension just builds and builds before the release on E.

The simplest use of them I can think of is as Isus4 to I (Csus4 to C), or Isus2 to I (Csus2 to C). The latter sounds neat in the relative minor (Asus2 to Am). You can even end on the unresolved Asus2, it's neatly ambiguous.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 ➑️
While the suspended chords are often used as dominants or dominant 7ths in a perfect authentic cadence resolution (Vsus4 to V to I or V7sus4 to V7 to I = Gsus4 to G to C or G7sus4 to G7 to C), it's also nice to experiment with them.
Yeah, I -> V7sus4 -> V7 -> I. Simple but effective. Adding 11ths at the fifth degree in some form works well. It has a completely different effect than suspending a triad. Some inversions work better than others.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Subscribed . good series for those learning theory
See there, these kind of threads do help people, including me.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They`re addictive

is there a substitute?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Suspended chords are also a good introduction to quartal harmony.

A sus2 chord in first inversion or a sus4 chord in second inversion are quartal (fourth-based) triads.

Take Csus2: CDG. Now voice the C on top of the G, which is the first inversion of the chord. You have a D quartal triad--DGC, each note is a perfect fourth above.

Take Csus4 (often just notated "Csus"): CFG. Now voice the C above the G and the F above the C, which is the second inversion of the chord. You have a G quartal triad: GCF, each note is a perfect fourth above.

(And for more advanced readers: you can also see (and play around with) quartal triads as "stacked sus4s", just without the fifth. For example, take the G quartal triad: GCF. You've got GC as a sus4 and then CF as another sus4 on top of it, which you can see as suggesting a resolution to both GB on the bottom and CE on the top--or, a CMa7 chord. Try voicing the quartal triad as GCFC (so double the C), and resolving it to CMa7 in this voicing: GBEC, OR, try adding another fourth on top of the quartal chord so that it's GCFBb (and stacking yet another sus4 on top for a quartal tetrad), and resolving it to either the same CMa7 voicing (GBEC) or a CMa11, GBEAC, which also has another quartal triad, BEA, in the middle, which also suggests resolving the GCFBb to GBEAD (a G13) instead. And if that's too major-sounding for you, just change it to GBbEAD. And in general re that voicing of a G13, it's fun to play around with quartal triads and tetrads above pitches where the second note above the root is not necessarily a fourth.)
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky ➑️
They`re addictive

is there a substitute?
The key is to say "I Don't Care Anymore".
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Want to play an informal plagal cadence ?

Play C - Csus4 - C

Good fun !
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…