Quantcast
How Do You Choose The Title Of A Song?... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How Do You Choose The Title Of A Song?...
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Once I've decided on the title of a song I'll Google it and see what comes up. If for some reason I find something disturbing about the search results I might consider another title.
Ha! I just google my track named Vermo and got this from Urban Dictionary:
"The derivation of sexual pleasure via the insertation of members of the rodent family (hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, etc.) into one's rectum."

I named that song after horse racetrack near by.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito ➡️
Ha! I just google my track named Vermo and got this from Urban Dictionary:
"The derivation of sexual pleasure via the insertation of members of the rodent family (hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, etc.) into one's rectum."

I named that song after horse racetrack near by.
ROFL Excellent!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
in 2010 I named a track "Tunnel Vision" despite knowing this was a common pairing of words with 1,500,000 totally unrelated Google hits "standing in my way". This did not prevent the track from winning a prize in the 2010 John Lennon Song Writing Contest (JLSC). John Lennon Songwriting Contest
Thanks for sharing that song. I love the spooky & encapsulating craftiness of those minor chord m-m-m-m-m- m-m- m- m - m-m-metamorphisizations (<whew>). There is much melodic congruity given that context. The structure boundlessly and delightfully floats along. The overall mood very alluring and impactful.

Have you by chance been significantly influenced (as a composer and songwriter) by Erik Satie, Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel, Sergei Prokofiev and The Beatles ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 ➡️
Thanks for sharing that song. I love the spooky & encapsulating craftiness of those minor chord m-m-m-m-m- m-m- m- m - m-m-metamorphisizations (<whew>). There is much melodic congruity given that context. The structure boundlessly and delightfully floats along. The overall mood very alluring and impactful.

Have you by chance been significantly influenced (as a composer and songwriter) by Erik Satie, Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel, Sergei Prokofiev and The Beatles ?
Thanks!

Great analysis!

All of the above -- with the addition of one other name: Bob Marley!

In fact, Marley was the only conscious influence. The others were subconscious. I had originally set out to write a kind of twisted electro-reggae track on the classic "femme fatale" theme and that's what came of it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor ➡️
I just googled titles of 15 songs I'm working on and they came back with vastly different numbers of hits:

There's not one of these songs I'd title differently.
Don't miss the point, Google the songs after you release them
Then, Inform us of the results. LOL.

I remember when All the Major Networks passed on a channel that proposed to show tons and tons of video. How did MTV every get of the ground?

Fierce resistance to any new ideas.
show
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Usually pull the title from the hook. That way if someone hears it, they should easily be able to google it.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Usually either something kind of goofy/absurdist/punny/etc. or something from the lyrics, which are usually something kind of goofy/absurdist/etc. Sometimes something oblique or ironic to the lyrics.

I have a tendency to like things that are a bit puzzle-like as well as things that are intentionally more ambiguous than normal so that folks can fill in their own preferred meaning in a way that might be radically different than what others get from it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…